GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Robbie O.
United States
Northwest Indiana
flag msg tools
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man.
badge
It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones is one of those board games that is a blast to play, but does not see a lot of table time in my gaming group because of its length and the intimidating complexity that it poses for some not-so-experienced gamers.

A Feast for Crows is a 4-player only expansion that does a couple things: it makes for a more balanced 4-player game and shortens it up significantly.

Gameplay

I'm going to skip over some of the details of the rules, and instead go over the most important aspects of the expansion.

Instead of concentrating on castles/strongholds for victory points like you do in the base game, A Feast for Crows makes players complete objectives to gain victory points. This is the core of the expansion. Each player gets two different kinds of objectives. Each house (including the new House Arryn) gets their own special objective which, once completed and held, can score points for the player at the end of every round.

Then players get to have a hand of three regular objectives that also score them a number of points based on which house they are playing as. For example, an objective card requiring a player to control Castle Black will only score some houses one point because of the ease of doing so for them. Other houses will, in turn, score more points for doing the same thing. This really balances out the whole system, and is a nice touch to the varying objectives.

These completed objectives are counted at the end of every round. You score your special and regular objectives separately. You may only choose one regular objective to be scored at the end of the round. This little rule can be annoying, but it's there so that one player does not run away with the game on a particularly good round. They are forced to defend the objectives they've already completed, but can't turn in until the next round is over.

Like the base game, the first player to 7 points, or who has the most points after 10 rounds, is the victor. Everything else, except for supply (which is counted at the end of every round) is exactly like the base game. This makes it easy to pick up for experienced players and for new players to get a basic idea of how the base game works before they eventually move up to it.

Also included in the set is a completely different set of deck one Westeros cards that have to be used in order to play with this expansion. Several of these focus on objectives, allowing players to get rid of the ones they no longer want and replace them with something more desirable.

Each house also gets a card that details how their starting forces are set up. The set up is different from the base game, so it's important to pay attention to these when getting ready to play.

The gameplay is good for a number of types of players. Experienced players will enjoy the differing objectives, which will change their strategies as the game progresses. This is especially good if you've played a lot of the base game; it most certainly feels like a different game. For new players, this is a wonderful way to learn to play. Because of the shortened time (took us about an hour and a half to play), it makes the game less intimidating and allows inexperienced players to get used to the mechanics and flow of the gameplay.

Components

A Feast for Crows is only comprised of cards (even the instructions). The cards are well-made, not surprising for a Fantasy Flight release. What's missing, however, are a set of blue military pieces, cardboard tokens, and player screen for House Arryn. You only get the 7 House Arryn house cards.

Your only options are to use House Tyrell's pieces (as suggested in the rules) or print off a set of your own. I would have gladly paid more money to have these pieces included in the set.

For those who are curious, both this expansion and the Dance with Dragons expansion fit comfortably in my base game box with the insert (and I have all of the cards sleeved).

Conclusion

Despite the lack of House Arryn pieces, this expansion is definitely worth the purchase. You'll find a lot to love in it if you play with a lot of new players, are getting tired of the base game, or your game group is consistently at 4 people. I give A Feast for Crows an 8/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmb
Moved to Reviews from Rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie O.
United States
Northwest Indiana
flag msg tools
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man.
badge
It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Moved to Reviews from Rules.

Thanks, not sure why it was in Rules. I thought I selected the right section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.