Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Boyce
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Hey all,

I just finished my first game of Byzantium and I very much enjoyed it. I think that it's the best new game I've played in the past 6+ months. It's definitely something I'm going to look into playing regularly.

I do have two questions, though, that I couldn't seem to figure out on the first reading of the rules/play through the game, and I'd be most appreciative if you all could help me out.

Question #1: Bulgars attacking Constantinople

1a - It seems that the Bulgars do not actually have to fight for Constantinople for the game to end given the way that the rules are worded. All the Bulgars have to do is attack Constantinople and the game is over; you don't have to roll to see if they win. Is this correct? Or am I being too literal with my reading of the rules?

1b - The game clearly states that if the Arabs conquer Constantinople then the attacker gets 5 Arab victory points and that only the Arab points count. However, in the Bulgar section all that it says is that the games ends immediately. There is no mention of the 5 victory points or of only Arab points counting. Does the active player get 5 victory points for having the Bulgars attack Constantinople, and do only the Arab points count if the Bulgars attack Constantinople?

Question #2: Levies when the Field Army retreats

The game clearly states that if a Field Army is defending a city then Levies cannot be used to defend the city. However, if the Field Army retreats before rolling dice, then are you allowed to use Levies? The Field Army is at the city at the time of the attack, but it doesn't roll any dice, so I'm unsure as to whether or not that counts as a "defense" for the issue of whether or not you can use Levies.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Best,
-Jared-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Poolman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
1a) I believe you're being too literal with the rule wording -- that Bulgars have to claim Constantinople. I thought there was a post regarding that, but haven't been able to find it. The wording is ambiguous, but I took that as a less than perfect editing job. Also, I'm hard pressed not to imagine *every* game ending with this attack if the attack alone ended the game (rather than the conquest.)

1b) Only Arab points count if Constantinople falls. Any conquests by the bulgars give you points for the side opposite the defeated force (so Bulgars attacking Arabs gives Byzantine points, and Bulgars toppling Constantinople gives Arab points.)

2) Answered by Martin Wallace himself: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/740589#740589
(It says that you may retreat your field army and then use the levies to defend.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Boyce
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Many thanks for the quick reply!

I agree with you w.r.t. the game ending very quickly if all it takes is a Bulgar attack to end the game, which is one of the reasons I definitely wanted to ask about it. Regardless of the writing of the rules, I definitely agree with you that the Bulgars having to conquer Constantinople seems to make the game significantly more playable.

I would like to ask two follow up questions about levies, if I might:

Quote:
2) Answered by Martin Wallace himself: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/740589#740589
(It says that you may retreat your field army and then use the levies to defend.)

First follow up: In both Martin's response and your response the words "your field army" are used. What about someone else's field army? Maybe I got completely confused on the rules (which has happened before ), but I thought that any Byzantine army could be moved to/sitting on any Byzantine city, and the same for Arabs.

Let's say that the Red army is sitting on a Green-controlled city. If attacked and the Red army fights, then the Green player cannot use levies because there was a field army defending the city, because I believe that the rulebook says that "any field army" defending the city prevents the use of levies.

Am I correct in this?

Second follow up: The army-levies relationship applies to Constantinople as well, yes? Meaning that if any Byzantine field army defends Constantinople then the Emporer cannot use levies to defend the city, yes?

Again, many thanks for your quick response, and I'm hoping that you can help me clear this up as well!

Best,
-Jared-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Boyce
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Oh, and one more follow up completely unrelated to the above...

Why are there four cylindrical tokens per color? You need two for your Byzantine/Arab points, but what do you do with the other two? Our guesses were either (1) using them to mark fortifications or (2) using them to "double up" your victory point marker if you get more than 50 points.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
JaredBoyce wrote:
Why are there four cylindrical tokens per color?

Fortifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Boyce
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Aldaron wrote:
Fortifications.

Thanks! That answers one more question for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.