W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
With two gamers expected soon, I brought out Time Is Money, an uber-filler that Craig Massey handed off to me at UG-X and I had yet to play, to fill the time with Dave, Jim, Ray, and Linda.

Six denominations of money (10-60) are placed in a row or circle on the table. With a time limit of 10, 20 or 30 seconds depending on the round, you roll six dice labeled with the numbers 10-60, matching the bills, as often as you choose. If a number appears on the dice only once, you can grab a bill of that denomination; if a plus sign appears, you can place that die aside, adding 5 seconds to your time.

The trick is that you have to guess when you've reached your time limit. The game includes a timer, and another player mans it during your round, starting and stopping time when you tell him to. If you spend more time grabbing bills than you're allowed in the round (adjusting for plus signs), you pay 20 for each second you're over; if you're under, you're penalized 10 for each second you're under. If the fates smile on you and you're spot on with the time, you're rewarded with a bonus of 60. The highest total at the end of three rounds wins the game.

The strategy proved to be slight, but there is some to consider. You most likely want to put aside pluses whenever possible so you have more time to grab bills, but with more time, you seem to run a greater risk of being off because your internal counter is more easily nudged off track. Putting aside pluses also means you're more likely to roll unmatched numbers simply because you're rolling fewer dice.

You also have the option of ignoring small numbers and simply grabbing the big bills and rerolling quickly. I went this route for the most part, and despite paying a penalty of 180 in the final round for being 9 seconds over, I still won the game. The big bills just added up to be too much.

(I played twice more two days later, and the big bill strategy worked once and failed once. Rolling pluses helps you a lot, but sometimes you just don't roll them. I suppose you could reroll as soon as you see you lack pluses, but that seems like you're throwing away seconds simply to get more seconds!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.