GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,948 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » Variants

Subject: Player Contagion & Death rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Gilbert
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
In this variant the players can catch the very diseases they're trying to cure.

For every Treat Disease action a player uses roll a d6 (d8 or d10 depending on game difficulty). If such a roll comes up with a 1 that character is infected with that color disease. For every infection on a player he loses an action. If that player loses all 4 of his actions this way his Role dies and he must discard his Role card and hand, draw a new Role and two cards; he gets no more actions for that turn. Once a Role has been killed it cannot be drawn again. If there are no more Roles to draw that player is out. If all players go out the game ends in a loss.

A player infected with more than 1 of the same color disease must roll a d6/8/10 for each city of that color he passes through, and on a roll of 6/8/10 infects that city with a cube. This can trigger Outbreaks.

Players can spend 1 action to completely cure themselves at Research Stations, or other players can use a Treat Disease action on an infected player as normal (i.e. 1 action per cube, unless the Role ability says otherwise). Until a Cure is developed for a particular color, however, players can be infected an unlimited number of times by that color.

Once a Cure for a color is developed all players are immediately cured of that color and regain the use of any previously lost actions. All players are further immune from contracting that disease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small nitpick here: you mean Treat Disease, rather than Cure. (Unless the terminology has changed in the new rulebook? I have only the old version.) At first I thought you meant that the die roll happened when a player turns in 5 cards for the Find Cure action. (Yes, the Scientist and Field Operative are slightly different, hush, only I get to do the nitpicking in this particular post.) That seemed like a silly variant, to have a 1/6 chance arise at most five times per game, and I had to re-read the article to understand what you really meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Gilbert
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Yes. Treat Disease is what I meant. Will edit now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Young
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
mb
I like this rule addition because it makes the game even more challenging

I think you could just use a d6 and have characters infected on multiple numbers to make things more difficult (e.g. 1-3 instead of just a 1). And if you really want to amp up the challenge, you could make sick players roll a di every turn to see if the infection worsens and they lose more actions even if they dont treat disease. Also, i think that the new role should have to begin at a research station or maybe just the one in Atlanta after a player dies.

However, I'm not sure that after a player dies his/her hand should be discarded. That might make the game impossible. Perhaps the hand should added back to the deck somehow? Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Gilbert
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Yeah, with the hand discard I was thinking about a researcher dying in the field without sharing any of his knowledge, but eliminating so many cards at once could indeed pose problems. Maybe 1/2 the cards are randomly discarded and the rest are added to the bottom of the deck.

Alternatively, whenever a Role dies you could place a special marker on that city and shuffles his/her cards into a "lost research" pile. Any time a player moves into a city where a Role died he/she draws 1 card from the "lost research" pile for free and can spend an action to draw another one. That way the cards aren't gone forever and they don't give a late game advantage by artificially extending the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.