Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Terry
United States
Somersworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Got in a FTF game against my son (managed to pry him away from 40K for the day). He enjoyed playing the “Barbarians” and with a little coaching from Dad he was soon looting his way across the empire.

As the Roman player I managed to fortify the neck of the boot and hold out pretty well the first two turns. The horde broke through on Turn 3 with the help of the “Mad Dash chit” and then moved the emperor out of Rome with “Into the Valley of the Shadow of Death”. The Co-Emperor came to the rescue and survived a 1-2 attack (a close call!). Turn 3 ended with 3 Germanic units in the boot of Italy.

Turn 4 was turning point, with an unbroken string of successful Roman Diplomacy (all sixes too!) completely cleansing Italy of barbarians. As soon as that was done the turn ended with draw of “The Gods are Bored” and a lucky roll for the Romans.

Turn 5 saw the Romans flush with a bulging treasury. The Co-Emperor (later named game MVP for the Romans) went on the offensive deep into barbarian territory wiping out the last of the Germanic units. The Romans then had sufficient time to complete their defenses in Italy (including fortifications) before the GP player drew “German Population Increase”. A roll of one brought only 4 units back which the Romans dispatched with quickly for the win.

I’m tempted to joke that this game is “I go, you go” done right – the immediate back and forth keeps both players highly engaged. Rome is a tough nut for the GP player to crack but they only have to succeed once to win. As the Roman I felt I bit like Muhammad Ali employing the “Rope a Dope” tactic, taking punches until the opponent had drained themselves. Now I’m eager to try the GP side and see if I can score a knockout.

Only one minor issue, as in my solitaire learning game we ran out of looted markers (I almost get sick when seeing “Bread and Circuses”). I may have to make a few DTP copies for next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.