Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Jerry, great game by the way. I tried it today for the first time, and can see myself enjoying it for a long time.

Questions:
1. A unit can withdraw to castle before battle starts, and sally on combat round one (assuming besieger is not storming). Now if a unit withdraws on round 2, and a siege is started (ie attacker is not storming), would a sally from the withdrawn units be still round 2 action or round 3? Does it actually start a new battle (starting again at round 1)?

2. After 3 rounds of storming, if all blocks survive, the siege is resumed, and blocks cannot regroup according to 7.31. If the 3 rounds of siege combat were started by sallying, all blocks survive, and sally'er withdraws to castle.... does the same thing happen again (besieger can't regroup)? Question 4 is similar to this one.

3. Can you move besieging units to another town after the 3 rounds of siege combat? or do you need to move them as a 'retreat' during one of the 3 rounds? Essentially the way I did it was: the besieger can either storm, hold the siege, retreat during one of the 3 rounds of combat, or before combat move out by being activated by a card effectively breaking the siege.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Taylor
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Glad you like the game. To your questions:

1. If I understand your question correctly, A is attacked by B. A withdraws to the castle before combat begins. In round 1, B does not storm and A sallies. In round 2, A retreats his sallying force back to the castle. In round 3, B once again refuses to sally. So your question is, if A sallies once again, what round is it? The answer - round 3.

2. If a battle is initiated by a sally and the sallying force is either destroyed or withdraws at the end of combat, then the besieging force can indeed regroup (he won the field battle).

3. A storming force can regroup after battle if the group succeeds in taking the town. A storming block can retreat either into the siege or into an adjacent town as per normal retreat rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
My confusing post: 1. A unit can withdraw to castle before battle starts, and sally on combat round one (assuming besieger is not storming). Now if a unit withdraws on round 2, and a siege is started (ie attacker is not storming), would a sally from the withdrawn units be still round 2 action or round 3? Does it actually start a new battle (starting again at round 1)?

Sorry for making this one confusing. The first line was just confirming what I know as a fact. The question starts after that... So again for example, if during round 2 the defender wants the defensive bonus and withdraws, can he sally on the same round, or would sallying be considered round 3? From the answer you posted, I now understand that it would be round 3.

Quote:
your answer to no. 2. If a battle is initiated by a sally and the sallying force is either destroyed or withdraws at the end of combat, then the besieging force can indeed regroup (he won the field battle).

So basically the army that withdraws to castle is considered to have lost the field battle, and the attacker is the victor because he takes the town... effectively allowing a regroup. Sweet.

Quote:
your answer to no 3. A storming force can regroup after battle if the group succeeds in taking the town. A storming block can retreat either into the siege or into an adjacent town as per normal retreat rules.

Did you mean taking the castle? If the attacker is storming, that implies that everyone has withdrawn to the castle, and he already controlled the town (second paragraph 7.31). So if you meant "succeeds in taking castle" in the above response, everything fits. Attacker won by storming, so they should be allowed to regroup. And with retreats, no questions there. .

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.