Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Multiple copies of Jinteki Replicating Perfection - Why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Javin Lum
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious but why is there 3 copies of this Identity?

You only need 1 to replace the current one Personal Evolution right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually cheaper for FFG to print them this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Watton
United Kingdom
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I prefer having 3 copies than just a single..

What I do is put two of the identity cards back to back in a single clear sleeve, so if you happen to leave the identity card shuffled in with your deck, you can search through and find it without having to reshuffle, then I give the third copy away to my friend ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DRINK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:

While I'm sure that cost is a factor, I'm pretty sure that printing efficiency and factory set-up are the main reasons.

I doubt there'd be any cost increase (for anyone) for including 3 distinct identity cards over 3 copies of the same card. But I think it would be more costly to offer 61-card packs, or some other number that isn't equal to or easily divisible by the number of cards that are printed on each large pre-cut sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
DagobahDave wrote:
I doubt there'd be any cost increase (for anyone) for including 3 distinct identity cards over 3 copies of the same card.

None apart from game design design, playtesting, art and added complexity for future playtests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clyne
England
Hazlemere
Bucks
flag msg tools
Empire of the Midnight Beard
mbmbmbmbmb
Some LCG games have one copy of cards in the pack that are limited to 1 per deck (Lord of the Rings for Hero cards). Other games have 3 copies (Game of Thrones plot cards). It's just the decision that FFG have arrived a on how they want to market Netrunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put two of them back to back in a clear sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Shelbyville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:

It would have been a minimal cost upgrade for FFG to change the second and third copies in the data packs to any of the 1x cards from the Core Set, but the company values money over making sense. Can't say they're totally wrong, but I would have a lot more respect for the company if they had given the fans a little extra something. Alas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theotherring wrote:
hoobajoo wrote:

It would have been a minimal cost upgrade for FFG to change the second and third copies in the data packs to any of the 1x cards from the Core Set, but the company values money over making sense. Can't say they're totally wrong, but I would have a lot more respect for the company if they had given the fans a little extra something. Alas.

If FFG used the "extra" slots in data packs to "fill in" the 1x and 2x cards from the core set, then we'd just have a whole new bunch of people complaining about how they're stringing us along through years worth of expansions to get all of the "completion" cards (at the current rate, it would take over 5 full data cycles). Not to mention making the packs with extra Desperados/Corporate Troubleshooters/SanSans worth WAY more than the pack with an extra Cell Portal/Wyrm. It's a lose/lose marketing situation for them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viny wrote:
Just curious but why is there 3 copies of this Identity?

To make you angry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are you asking about Jinteki: RP in particular? You'll (sadly) find that every identity card outside of the core set comes in triplicate (including those in the upcoming Creation & Control).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
theotherring wrote:
hoobajoo wrote:

Did you go get printing quotes? Or are you just making stuff up? I'd have a lot more respect for someone who uses numbers and facts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
DagobahDave wrote:
I doubt there'd be any cost increase (for anyone) for including 3 distinct identity cards over 3 copies of the same card.

None apart from game design design, playtesting, art and added complexity for future playtests.

I was responding to a comment about the costs of printing, not game development. If you'd quoted me in full, that should've been clear.

Identity cards seem to change the nature of play and deckbuilding pretty significantly. Looking at it from a game design perspective (rather than a budgetary one), I can understand why FFG is releasing a trickle of identity cards.

But since I don't see a great reason for including three copies of each new identity card, I'd prefer to get more identity cards, or click-tracker and action reminder cards with new art or something like that, in place of the extras.

Developing those unique cards certainly does cost FFG something (probably not much, in the scheme of things), but I'll repeat: it probably doesn't affect the cost of printing data packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
To make you angry.

lmao !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.