11 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: [Deck] Noise Ice Cracker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aleksi Laitinen
Finland
flag msg tools
First of all, I haven't played with this deck yet, other than a worse variation a few months ago, so don't get your expectation too high if you decide to read further. I like to spend time deck-building, and it'd be nice to hear some other ideas as well than just the little voices inside my head!

Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire (45 cards)

Event (12)
3 Deja Vu
3 Forged Activation Orders ••••• •
1 Kraken
3 Retrieval Run
2 Test Run ••••• •

Hardware (6)
3 Cyberfeeder
3 Grimoire

Resource (11)
1 Aesop's Pawnshop ••
3 Armitage Codebusting
2 Ice Carver
2 Liberated Account
3 Wyldside

Icebreaker (4)
1 Corroder
1 Femme Fatale
1 Wyrm
1 Yog.0

Program (12)
3 Datasucker
1 Djinn
3 Imp
2 Medium
3 Parasite

Ice Denial

At its core, this is a Noise mill deck, but with a little twist. The idea is to trash as much ice as possible to allow easy running. This is mostly done using recurring Parasites with 3x Déjà Vu, 3x Retrieval Run, and 2x Test Run, with the help of Datasuckers and Ice Carver. Wyrm is there to speed things up if we find ourselves in an economically good position. Test Run can even allow reusing one Parasite twice if we manage to trash the ice on the turn it's installed with Test Run. In addition, the deck has 3x Forged Activation Orders, which can potentially outright trash some ice, or at the very least, prepare the ice as a Parasite target.

The synergies don't end there, however. Because we are Noise, a lot of ice will get trashed as a result of installing viruses. When accessing cards from R&D, it might be a good idea not to trash any assets or upgrades even if we have the credits, but instead let the Corp get flooded with them and therefore deny him access to more ice. We should use Imp counters to trash as much ice as we can from HQ and R&D.

There's also one Kraken just to mess with the Corp a little more. I feel two would be too much since it's so difficult to pull off.

Miscellaneous

I found a cute trick while testing this deck: Test Run -> Femme, run, install virus (or whatever program) and trash Femme, Retrieval Run -> Femme. A more consistent way to pull off Retrieval Run is to simply discard Femme by overdrawing (which will sometimes also happen accidentally because of Wyldside).

There's one Djinn in addition to 3x Grimoire, as I felt I wasn't drawing MU consistently enough. Since there's so much program recursion, it should be possible to make use of the Djinn even if it's drawn rather late, although it's not important at all once Grimoire is installed.

Keep in mind that there's only one Aesop's Pawnshop, so don't let it get trashed if you install Wyldside. Wyldside should also not be installed until we have a decent bank or enough economy resources so that we can install pretty much anything we draw. Otherwise we'll be discarding a lot of viruses that could've been used for milling. Keep in mind that there's only one Aesop's Pawnshop, so don't let it get trash— oh look, a Déjà Vu!

Not enough icebreakers? The deck needs the ice to be rezzed in order to install Parasites on them, which might hurt if all we can do is keep face-checking them. It might be a good idea to add 1x Corroder, 1x Yog.0, and 1x Mimic, but I'm not quite sure what to take out. Test Run helps a bit, but there's only two of them, and they're better off used on viruses to mill twice. Kraken might have to go, perhaps one Imp, and there's also the option to swap a copy of Forged Activation Orders to a Special Order.

There's no Tag & Bag protection, but we can hope to mill out the key components, and use Imps to increase the odds.

Remember that you can use Aesop's to beneficially get money even from Liberated Accounts that has 4 credits left. You get 3 credits, and you can then spend the click you'd have spent to get the 4 credits on whatever — such as on that missing 1 credit. Also remember that you can still use Wyldside on the same turn when you trash it to Aesop's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. I'd play it more along the lines of this:

Identity:
Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire (Core)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (18)
Forged Activation Orders (Core) x3 ■■
Deja Vu (Core) x3
Kraken (Humanity's Shadow) x1
Demolition Run (Core) x3
Retrieval Run (Future Proof) x3
Test Run (Cyber Exodus) x2 ■■■
Surge (Humanity's Shadow) x3

Hardware: (5)
Grimoire (Core) x2
Cyberfeeder (Core) x3

Program: (11)
Datasucker (Core) x3
Medium (Core) x2
Femme Fatale (Core) x1 ■
Darwin (Future Proof) x1
Djinn (Core) x3
Crypsis (Core) x1

Resource: (11)
Aesop's Pawnshop (Core) x1 ■■
Wyldside (Core) x3
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x3
Liberated Account (Trace Amount) x2
Xanadu (Humanity's Shadow) x1
Ice Carver (Core) x1

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 64
Criminal: 7
Shaper: 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksi Laitinen
Finland
flag msg tools
Hmm I have no idea why I forgot about Crypsis and Darwin, I had them in the deck initially but then drifted away.

I'm still inclined to keep 2x Ice Carver instead of swapping one for Xanadu. Ice Carver helps Parasites so much that getting it early might be worth the 2nd one being dead instead of being Xanadu.

Errm, you took Parasites out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
A1win wrote:
Test Run can even allow reusing one Parasite twice if we manage to trash the ice on the turn it's installed with Test Run.

Sorry to reduce your post to a rules nitpick, but this doesn't work. Test Run only puts the Parasite on top of your deck when it is still installed at the end of the turn. Which it clearly is not if you trashed a piece of Ice however.

On the other hand you can get two Noise mills from one Test Run, if you don't kill the Ice that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twyker wrote:
Interesting idea. I'd play it more along the lines of this:

I'm sorry but I don't get how your proposal matches the OP intent of trashing/denying ice to the corp as you removed all the programs to do so.

Interesting ideas overall btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksi Laitinen
Finland
flag msg tools
sirprim wrote:
A1win wrote:
Test Run can even allow reusing one Parasite twice if we manage to trash the ice on the turn it's installed with Test Run.

Sorry to reduce your post to a rules nitpick, but this doesn't work. Test Run only puts the Parasite on top of your deck when it is still installed at the end of the turn. Which it clearly is not if you trashed a piece of Ice however.

On the other hand you can get two Noise mills from one Test Run, if you don't kill the Ice that turn.

Oh yes, I was just thinking of the double Noise mill and got confused while writing this down.

Updated version, now with Crypsis, Darwin, and 3x Djinn to tutor the icebreakers and further helping with consistently drawing MU:

-1 Gordian Blade
-1 Yog.0
-1 Grimoire
-1 Imp
+1 Crypsis
+1 Darwin
+2 Djinn

-1 Retrieval Run (to increase the odds of a proper opening)
+1 Liberated Account

Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire (45 cards)

Event (11)
3 Deja Vu
3 Forged Activation Orders ••••• •
1 Kraken
2 Retrieval Run
2 Test Run ••••• •

Hardware (5)
3 Cyberfeeder
2 Grimoire

Resource (12)
1 Aesop's Pawnshop ••
3 Armitage Codebusting
2 Ice Carver
3 Liberated Account
3 Wyldside

Icebreaker (4)
1 Crypsis
1 Darwin
1 Femme Fatale
1 Wyrm

Program (13)
3 Datasucker
3 Djinn
2 Imp
2 Medium
3 Parasite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Tse
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing a chaos theory deck with purpose of trashing femmes and retrieval running them back with mixed success

I agree, seems easiest way to trash femmes is to discard them with overfull hand at end of turn

However the retrieval run part for some reason is not often doable. Its been kinda frustrating. Also, its really a one shot thing... Corps usually ice up archives after a retrieval run. And if you have to spend money to get into archives for your retrievals, its no longer an effective way. So yea its great for a one off surprise femme or something but i havent found it that successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Drake
United States
California
flag msg tools
I play a similar deck I love r&d interface over medium in this deck because it slows down what you want to do with retrieval run which would be getting femme out and doing damage. With medium out you're probably going to get 1 good dig before they ice up r&d and purge your mediums at least with RDI it will be constant add more femmes and crypsis you always want to get either or.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksi Laitinen
Finland
flag msg tools
I was going to put in R&D Interfaces but I think I rather spend the influence on Forged Activation Orders. Besides, Medium is a virus for Noise.

A second Crypsis is probably a good idea. I'll have to figure out what to drop.

dimsumboy wrote:
However the retrieval run part for some reason is not often doable. Its been kinda frustrating. Also, its really a one shot thing... Corps usually ice up archives after a retrieval run. And if you have to spend money to get into archives for your retrievals, its no longer an effective way. So yea its great for a one off surprise femme or something but i havent found it that successful.

That's why I called it a cute trick and not a game plan, and that's why there's only one Femme in the deck.

Noise & Retrieval Run -> Oh no, I must ice up archives!
Medium -> Oh no, I must ice up R&D!
HQ is probably iced up anyway, although it wouldn't hurt if there were ways to pressure it even more (without slowing down the deck too much).

I'm perfectly fine with forcing the corp to ice up every server he has, especially when the game plan of this deck is to trash as many ice as possible. Can't wait to see how this works in practice tomorrow.

P.S. I think Noise is probably the best identity to play Kraken, since the odds of scoring at least one agenda from archives are pretty high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A1win wrote:

Errm, you took Parasites out?

Haha, sry, seems like I forgot something .

I really like your current list. I also agree with you on the Ice Carver vs. Xanadu. I'll try out the deck tomorrow, although I'll play it with Demolition Run instead of the Imps. We will see .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksi Laitinen
Finland
flag msg tools
I played a couple of games today with the deck, and noticed that it's too slow, but otherwise seems promising. I overestimated the number of viruses I have time to play during a game, which makes Retrieval Run rather worthless. I should replace those and one more card with 3x Sure Gamble, which is nice with Wyldside anyway.

Djinn + Datasucker + Darwin is awesome so I'm definitely keeping those. Kraken was useful in one game and not useful in the other, but I feel like it's worth keeping it at least for now. Test Run is awesome, and since Femme costs only one influence, I should keep that too.

Forged Activation Orders wasn't insanely powerful since the Corps I played against were quite rich, but it wasn't worthless either since it allowed me to get more information and install Parasites on the ice. It'll probably be more useful against some other decks as well, so I'm not dropping those just yet.

I'm not sure about Wyrm. I didn't see it in either game, but the Datasuckers and Ice Carvers might be enough for speeding up those Parasites. It's probably better to just replace the Wyrm with a Sure Gamble, since the deck is weaker in early game and pretty strong in a late game anyway (because, well... Noise).

Conclusion:

-2 Retrieval Run
-1 Wyrm
+3 Sure Gamble

Edit: More testing today. This deck is sloooooooow. I don't like it anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.