Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking through the full rules on the website, and saw the 2 platter dual labyrinth setup as the first option. This seems perfect for a smaller, simpler game to run with my wife after we finish the tutorials in the basic game.
However, I do think there should be a rule in there during map building, limiting the first teams 3-item placement to only one of the two labyrinths on the map.
Otherwise, it seems like a pretty clear play, if your characters are fairly split between two ages, to place your random platter and the two matching labyrinths as your first 3 placements. This isn't an insurmountable advantage, of course, but if your opponents ends up having 0 or 1 character from those 2 ages, you've basically ensured that you quest 1 better than him for the rest of the game.
It's an unlikely scenario, but it seems like just putting a little note in there that the first player's placement can't include both labyrinths would be a simple fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in luck.

See Adventure Methods - Adventure Keys on p18

"Each Mission lists which Adventure keys will be used. If a Mission states a number of keys of a type, half are selected by White and Half by Black. For example, if “2 Alt Labyrinths” is stated, White chooses one and Black chooses one."

So I take that to mean that for standard duel (Bases, Lith, 2 Labyrinths) you would place one each.

But for standard triad (Bases, Lith, Labyrinths) one person could place all of them as there is no number. Not sure if this is the correct interpretation here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Watson
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: just re-read the post and realized it pertained to labyrinths and not platters....therefore my post is irrelevant to the discussion topic.

Also, within the Master Rules for standard building, the following line exists on Page 18:

One platter is chosen by Team White, one platter STD by Team Black, and the rest are random.

There is evidence as the rules sit today that the same player can not choose both platters in a 2 platter game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing that out Mac. I totally missed it.

Follow up question, then... When are the adventure keys selected? I would assume its during platter selection. So white and black would each choose a labyrinth in dual, but one player could still place both of them on his first placement turn, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The labyrinths are chosen as placed, so one team cannot place both labyrinths in Dual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. I believe the labyrinths would be placed as per the standard map building rules. So during white/blacks placement of three pieces, they could select and place their labyrinth as one of their pieces.

The rules only mention the platters being pre selected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect clarification, Brett. I think that could be made clearer in the relevant section of the online rules...
Now, does that mean that in a standard triad game, once team with has placed two of the basic labyrinths they can place no others? Or does this not apply in games that use all 4 basic labyrinths?
Great game by the way. My wife laughed the entire time as her team butchered me in the first practice scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good Michael, sometimes it's wise to allow your wife to bleed off the aggressive tendencies...

When all Labyrinths of one set are being used, you do not divide them halvsies -- primarily because all four will make it to the map no matter who places them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a dual mission last night and we're just curious about map set up with regards to adventure keys.

I know we get two random platters per the master compendium, but do we still place the map platter and two keys? Or do we switch to two placements in a dual? I was able to grab Lith's key and place it on my first placement right next to my base practically, which seemed kind of unfair. Although as it's been pointed out in other threads, this game really isn't about fairness...in a good way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You played correctly.

In fact this move is possible even on larger maps. I did the same thing today on a quad standard mission. Of course it gives the opponent the opportunity to set up the labyrinths to their liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.