Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Garrett
United States
Campbellsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I get that Ithilien Pit is played into the Staging Area, and I get that it attaches to the next enemy that enters the Staging Area, but I don't understand what happens next. Can the enemy still engage and attack a player, and then all the players can target it for an attack, or does the enemy stay in the Staging Area, lose it's ability to attack and all players can target it for an attack during the attack portion of the combat phase?

It feels like this card needed one more sentence on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the card as written, it looks like it still engages and attacks you, but just that everyone can target it.

This one is a head-scratcher for me too. I'm going to be playing with the designers tomorrow at the Fantasy Flight Event Center; I'll try to get an answer.

In the meantime...anyone else have thoughts on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DeFelici
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It allows any player to attack the enemy regardless of whom it is engaged with or even if it is in the staging area. So it still performs its engagement checks, but if the player's dont engage it, you can attack it from the staging area. The card is really good in multiplayer but in solo is really only useful if you are using a low starting threat deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess if your all lore and you trap an enemy with low threat with ithillien pit you can play advanced warning to keep it in the staging area and still attack it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
It may be just the card Lore needs. Mirkwood Runner has just gotten much better as he can chip away those enemies in the staging area. I think for once the ruling is quite simple also: it says nothing about engagement changes, so the enemy acts just the same, but any character can attack it whether it is engaged with another player or still in the staging area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules seem clear to me, and I think the thematic implications are causing confusions (guy trapped in a pit engaging and attacking). The trapped enemy engages and attacks as normal. The only difference in combat: all characters can attack the trapped enemy, no matter where it is located.

As for its usefulness, you can also combine Ithilien Pit with Ranger Spikes to create a nasty trap that keeps an enemy in the staging area (at -2 threat) and still allows you to attack it at will.

There is no limitation as to how many traps an enemy can have. Thus, if you play both traps, you can attach the Pit and the Spikes to the first enemy added to the staging area.

I think this could be a neat trick. All you need is an encounter scrying ability (e.g. Henamarth, Denethor, Palantir, Rumours of the Earth...). If you know that a strong enemy is coming, you can play both traps.
Alternatively, you could use the traps actively by using the Ithilien Archer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garrett
United States
Campbellsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying! It was the thematic idea of the trap that was confusing me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoke to one of the developers today and he confirmed what Michael said:

"The trapped enemy engages and attacks as normal. The only difference in combat: all characters can attack the trapped enemy, no matter where it is located."

This includes if the enemy is in the staging area, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three follow up questions about that "all characters can attack" thing:

(1) The "Ithilien Pit" does NOT lift the limit of one regular attack per player per combat phase, right?

(2) If player A has an enemy with "Ithilien Pit" engaged, and player B attacks this enemy in player B's attack step, player A CANNOT help him with his ranged characters, right?

(3) If player A has an enemy with "Ithilien Pit" engaged, and player A attacks this enemy in player A's attack step, player B can still only help in player As attack with ranged characters, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds right to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunny Tony
msg tools
Hi all,

Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but I am curious about something.

I am still new to the game, but I have about half of the collection so far. I am trying to make a semi-secrecy deck that focuses on running through the quest and locations as fast as possible while forcing the enemies into traps and whatnot with Lore and Spirit.

I am just curious to confirm this. If play the Ithilien Pit and it snags the next enemy that has, say 30 threat, and I am down around 22, I can optionally attack it in the staging area without needing to use a card like Dunhere? Or am I getting it wrong? Would I need to do an engagement check with it first? If I can leave it up there, attack it without it attacking me, it seems that the card is kind of over powered, no?

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.