Popular Tags: [View All]
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
Much to my surprise and delight, I came across a shop yesterday stocking some of the games I've been reading about here, including Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne, both of which I bought (I'm mulling over Risk 2210AD and Godstorm in spite of the poor reviews here for the latter). It's actually kind of difficult to get this stuff in Ireland, even though we are technically part of Europe (being an island and not on the mainland means that everything must cross water to get here and thus gets very expensive and often never comes at all). Anyway, I managed to convince my wife to try Carcassonne with me and we played it last evening.

She completely whupped my ass.

My wife loves Scrabble, and, on reflection, there is some connection between the two. The strategic tile laying aspect of Scrabble is where she usually beats me hands down, and here with Carcassonne, she seemed to be much better and laying tiles advantageously.

It started innocently enough, with me laying my tiles in what I thought was a masterplan to build a huge city with lots of pennants in it, until I began to realise that I was boxing myself in and leaving myself needing tiles that don't exist to complete it. Meanwhile Catherine seemed to be making roads and cloisters with comparable ease, steadily scoring away while I was overthinking my strategy.

The final score was 102 to 72.

Actually, my score was much lower all the way through play. I came up quite a ways in the final scoring because of all my hapless meeples stranded on incomplete structures. My grandiose plans ended up scoring something for me, but not nearly as much as they would have had I completed them in play like you're supposed to.

Anyway, this was a fun game and I think I can work this into our usual repetoire of Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit and Cluedo (thank God). She's also promised to try Ticket to Ride, so I'll look forward to being roundly trounced there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.