St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm working through some card storage setups but I don't know if I have enough room in the box (due to my various counter sorters etc) for a standard card tray. Does anyone know if Hugo's Amazing Tape will harm these cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That stuff is awesome - can't imagine it doing any harm, though I'm gonna sleeve anyway (the tape may be safe, but I'm not so sure about my friends! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're worried you could always just cut 2 pieces of blank card for the top and bottom of each stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did some research about a year ago and saw some horrifying stories. Didn't invest in it then. Do try to read up on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh crikey - I'd never heard about all that before - I humbly retract my earlier endorsement. I just had quick think and realized that I only have Hugo's (I actually us bondage tape, easier to find in the UK amusingly) on sleeved cards, otherwise I'd be pulling games off the shelf in a panic right now! surprise

Saying that, as long as you sleeve, it's fantastic stuff. It's a lifesaver for those big cards like Dixit or the DoA2 characters that don't fit in the more common baggies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with that tape, in my experience, is that once it gets dusty or gets hand oils on it, it loses its stickiness.

Washing Hugo's tape is beyond even my gamer OCD tendencies.

I use Velcro cable ties. They are cheaper (enough for 50 decks is less than $4) and ship free if you get them from Amazon when ordering something else.

For extremely large decks use two and daisy-chain them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
I did some research about a year ago and saw some horrifying stories. Didn't invest in it then. Do try to read up on it.

Like what? I only have it on Guillotine right now, but they are unsleeved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while, that is why I suggested others doing research. Folks would not be wrong in doubting my remembrance.

I seem to remember discolouration issues. Some kind of issues with the edges of the cards. Not sure what else. Things that horrified me.

I imagine with sleeves that it would cause the edge of the sleeve to buckle (like a rubber band would) and that would annoy the hell out of me but to each his own there.

It may be that the stuff is miracle stuff, I just recall that I got scared away pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
It's been a while, that is why I suggested others doing research. Folks would not be wrong in doubting my remembrance.

I seem to remember discolouration issues. Some kind of issues with the edges of the cards. Not sure what else. Things that horrified me.

I imagine with sleeves that it would cause the edge of the sleeve to buckle (like a rubber band would) and that would annoy the hell out of me but to each his own there.

It may be that the stuff is miracle stuff, I just recall that I got scared away pretty quickly.

In the case of the Velcro ties I mention above, sleeved cards or not there is no edge wear or buckling that I can detect. The ties are 1/2" wide. I wouldn't overtighten them because if you _try_ to buckle the edges I'm sure you could.

But with a sung enough fit that the cards have _never_ come loose (over 200 decks for me) It has never been an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:

Yea, once I read your post a quick google search came up with multiple tales of horror on BGG, though it does seem to be a case of some cards totally fine, others major risk. There was some sort of science behind it but I didn't go into detail. Summoner Wars was a major no-no.

Quote:

Nah, that's a total non-problem. It's completely non-elastic so doesn't compress the cards at all, it's essentially the same as having a perfectly sized paper band around the cards that you can infinitely adjust. I love the stuff, but will only ever use it with sleeved cards from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would go with tuck boxes.

I just don't really have the ability to make any right now.

I would prefer tuck boxes for the keys to but if not then maybe tape is better than zipper bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
HHHHMMM.

I've been using it on a couple games. I've not had any problems with it. But, I find it annoying to take off and put on, so I've mostly stuck with using 'baggies' for my cards too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use PLASTIBANDS for all of my card games. They don't rot like rubber bands and they don't mark card edges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Storzillo
United States
Wayne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link for the Plastibands. I use them and they are great. They never dry rot or mark my cards.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/279539/Baumgartens-Pla...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CPT Storzo wrote:
Here's a link for the Plastibands. I use them and they are great. They never dry rot or mark my cards.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/279539/Baumgartens-Pla...

Hmm, interesting. Seems like they're prettymuch non-existent in the UK though. Shame - I wouldn't use them on sleeved cards, but they look like they could be very useful for unsleeved. I guess they'll probably turn up over here eventually,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I did a few Hugo's tests and with a medium tight fit and three full days I haven't noticed any wear on the test cards. I'll go ahead and do up the rest of the cards now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.