GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG.CON

Subject: Has anyone used Amtrak to get to BGG.CON? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Webb
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been thinking about this since last year. The Amtrak station is in downtown Dallas, but you can take light rail and the bus right to DFW. Seems like a fun way to get there, since you could hang out in the lounge car and game on the way.

I saw some brief discussion in the BGG.CON 2011 threads, but it didn't sound like it panned out. Has anyone done this before and, if so, what was your experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cooper
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The local lite rail in the Dallas area is called the TRE. The station that unloads just south of the airport is CentrePort.

http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/stationsdetail.html?ite...

From there you catch a bus to Terminal C and walk across the parking garage to the Hotel.

http://www.dart.org/schedules/busschedules.asp?quicksched=80...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be an awesome way to go to a con. I love taking trains, sitting in the lounge car, and playing games. I've done it before, and it's wonderful. It's a little pricey if you get a bedroom on the way, but that's more than worth the cost, too, as all your meals are included, and you can keep playing games even when the other cars close for the night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
bcooperok wrote:
The local lite rail in the Dallas area is called the TRE. The station that unloads just south of the airport is CentrePort.

http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/stationsdetail.html?ite...

From there you catch a bus to Terminal C and walk across the parking garage to the Hotel.

http://www.dart.org/schedules/busschedules.asp?quicksched=80...

Actually, the TRE comes out of Fort Worth and goes into Downtown Dallas where you can connect to DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) trains/buses. You are correct, however, about the CentrePort station. It's just south of DFW airport and is served by the TRE.

Be forewarned that there are two separate passes for each system, but you *can* get a pass that covers both for a single day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cooper
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The TRE goes from Union Station in Downtown Dallas to CentrePort/DFW. No need to go all the way to Fort Worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
admanwebb wrote:
Been thinking about this since last year. The Amtrak station is in downtown Dallas, but you can take light rail and the bus right to DFW. Seems like a fun way to get there, since you could hang out in the lounge car and game on the way.

I saw some brief discussion in the BGG.CON 2011 threads, but it didn't sound like it panned out. Has anyone done this before and, if so, what was your experience?

Looks like you're coming from Arkansas; according to the Ticket to Ride map, as long you have two cards of the same color and no one else has taken the route yet, you should have no problem getting to Dallas from Little Rock !

Seriously, I see no reason this wouldn't work as long as you're not coming from too far away. I once looked into taking Amtrak to Dallas from Philly for business (long story) and it would have taken 41 hours. No joke. But for short trips, Amtrak can be a great way to travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually the DART lite rail will actually connect to Terminal A. Currently you can also take DART to get to the Belt Line station and take a bus from there to DFW as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I took Amtrak-to-DART(?)-to-cab to get to BGG.CON in 2010 or 2011, but it was only from Austin (I'd been down visiting a friend), so not exactly a long-haul train trip.

I had a small bit of trouble figuring what I should be doing with local-transit in order to minimize my cab trip to the hotel-at-the-time, but I expect that'd be much easier now that the con hotel is at the airport.

Other than that small bit at the end, it was as pleasant as train trips generally are. I'm sorry that there aren't more (and higher-speed) rail lines about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cooper
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some routes that are good and cheap to get to DFW, but not many.

On the Heartland Flyer -- http://www.amtrak.com/heartland-flyer-train
OKC to DFW is only $28 / 4 hours vs. $38 in gas / 3 hours in the car

On the Texas Eagle -- http://www.amtrak.com/texas-eagle-train
San Antonio is $34 / 8 hours vs. $56 in gas / 4 hours in the car
Little Rock is $76 / 8 hours vs. $64 in gas / 5 hours in the car
St. Louis is $100 / 11 hours vs. $132 in gas / 10 hours in the car
Chicago is $121 / 22 hours vs. $187 in gas / 14 hours in the car
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I was seriously thinking about doing it. I can take the train from Austin TX(Well from Taylor, close to where I live) to Dallas and back for $48. And I get a mellow ride on a train.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bcooperok wrote:
There are some routes that are good and cheap to get to DFW, but not many.

On the Heartland Flyer -- http://www.amtrak.com/heartland-flyer-train
OKC to DFW is only $28 / 4 hours vs. $38 in gas / 3 hours in the car

On the Texas Eagle -- http://www.amtrak.com/texas-eagle-train
San Antonio is $34 / 8 hours vs. $56 in gas / 4 hours in the car
Little Rock is $76 / 8 hours vs. $64 in gas / 5 hours in the car
St. Louis is $100 / 11 hours vs. $132 in gas / 10 hours in the car
Chicago is $121 / 22 hours vs. $187 in gas / 14 hours in the car

You have forgotten to factor in how many hours it takes off your life driving through the living nightmare/eternal roadwork that is the Dallas Metroplex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"It's getting better"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did this my first trip to BGG.con, travelling alone from NY. The trip down was awesome; I read rules and played some solo games, but was unable to tempt anyone to join me in anything else. The trip back seemed incredibly long, though; I wanted to get home and do more gaming!

If I did it again, I'd likely to train down and fly home, but it doesn't seem likely; I can't afford the time. (The first year I had just lost my job, and had all the time in the world.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Avery

Tallahassee
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A word of caution. I took an Amtrak train years ago from North Florida to New Orleans (pre-Katrina). The trip west was not bad but the return was another story. Apparently the freight train operators own most of the long distance rails and anytime there is a conflict Amtrak trains must wait for the freight trains. Since the train I took west had just started its route, it was only slightly late. However the train going back east had to cross half the Country before it would get to New Orleans and it had to wait a LOT. When I found out the train was going to be literally 10 to 12 hours late just getting to N.O. I made other arrangements to get home. While I did enjoy the westbound trip, I haven’t traveled by Amtrak again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bavery wrote:
Apparently the freight train operators own most of the long distance rails and anytime there is a conflict Amtrak trains must wait for the freight trains.

Whenever you hear bad things about Amtrak, remember that this fact, not whatever the person is rambling on about, is the number one reason why train travel struggles in America.

I'd love to take the train between Austin and Fort Worth, but it's inconvenient to do so without a car. If I could drive onto a double-decker flatcar and park, then go get a nice seat for the ride, and have my car arrive with me at my destination, I'd be all over that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could, I would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:
bavery wrote:
Apparently the freight train operators own most of the long distance rails and anytime there is a conflict Amtrak trains must wait for the freight trains.

Whenever you hear bad things about Amtrak, remember that this fact, not whatever the person is rambling on about, is the number one reason why train travel struggles in America.

I'd love to take the train between Austin and Fort Worth, but it's inconvenient to do so without a car. If I could drive onto a double-decker flatcar and park, then go get a nice seat for the ride, and have my car arrive with me at my destination, I'd be all over that.

I would favor rail more if this were an option as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:
bavery wrote:

A Land Ferry. I'd go for that, too.
If you're involved in Math Trade, Virtual Flea Market, Flea Market,
you MUST have a car to transport all your games going and coming, unless you're just selling then it'd be just going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.