Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Sauron» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Game report (ilustrated) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GRS
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Beginning map:

Turn 1:
Human cavalry attacks right flank of the Mordor army and pushes goblins back. Humans and dwarfs are marching on. Gorgol, leader of the first line of the Mordor troops, notices how big enemy’s army is and calls for help. Goblins are shooting arrows to the approaching troops, but without much result, dwarfs armors are strong enough to endure it. Wargs perform counterattack at the cavalry, but humans are brave and defending well against those huge wolves.

End of the turn map:

Turn 2:

Elves are approaching battlefield, yet they have some road to travel before they’ll be able to fight with Mordor armies. Humans are smashing weak line of orc archers’ defense at the west flank. In desperation, Gorgol pushes his last units to attack, only to buy some time, because main forces of Mordor are slowly approaching. Orcs and wargs are performing almost suicidal attacks, only to slow Westernesse army a bit.

End of the turn map:

Turn 3:
Elendil kills Gorgol and humans are slaying the remaining Mordor units at the Plains of Dagorlad. Last few orcs and wargs units are retreating slowly to the Mordor, trying to defend the way to the Land of Darkness at any cost. Their desperate attack is even kinda successful, some of the humans units are retreating a bit in hope to avoid unnecessary looses.

End of the turn map:

Turn 4:
Last Mordor units at the Plains of Dagorlad are destroyed and nothing stands against allies and the land of Mordor. Nothing? Behold, Sauron’s main forces are approaching, led by the Dark Lord himself, supported by the terrible Beast of Mordor. But aren’t they too late to change the fate of the battle?

End of the turn map:

Turn 5:
Humans attack Sauron troops with fury, aware that they need to act quickly, because more of the Dark Lord’s troops are on their way.
Sauron starts casting spells. He changes daytime into nighttime first, then he calls Beast of Mordor to attack humans. Beast uses its deadly breath and kills some humans and elves. Then orcs are shooting their arrows, killing some human soldiers. Seems that Sauron still has some chances.

End of the turn map:

Turn 6
Humans are pushing harder, but they also gathered some units at second line behind both flanks to use them as supplies if it will be necessary.
Sauron’s slaves enter the battle. They form the phalanx and, lead by Ringwraith, attack allies without any mercy. Their brave attack drives some humans out and finally gives Mordor army a little hope.

End of the turn map:

Turn 7
Allies regained after first powerful attack of the slaves phalanx and managed to attack them from the sides, successfully eliminating some of them. Sauron’s army is still dangerously close to the edge of the map, so it’s easy to defeat it.
Sauron casts Wrath of the Ringwraith, leveling up the attack power of many surrounding units. In the next turn more supplies should come. Sauron units, supported by the dark aura of Ringwraith are able to drive back some more human units, but not too much and not too far.

End of the turn map:

Turn 8
Lead by Isildur, humans attack left wing of the Saurons army. Ringwraith is hurt and most of the orcs there are dead now. Space controlled by Lord of Darkness is decreasing drastically.
But behold, trolls are coming! Thanks to their help Sauron managed to keep his line still, but his situation isn’t really good.

End of the turn map:

Turn 9
Sauron units are not only completely surrounded, humans, dwarfs and elves are literally slaying them, one after another. Sauron can’t do much to change it. Even his spells can’t change battlefield situation much, because allies’ advantage is too big. Aware of that, Sauron himself joins the battle and attacks Isildur. Tired after the battle with Ringwraith, Isildur retreats.

End of the turn map:

Turn 10
Noticing Sauron at the battlefield, Elendil grabs his Narsil sword and engages Dark Lord with a duel. Gil-Galad turns to Ringwraith. Both leaders are aware that their soldiers know what to do, so they can try to defeat Mordor’s army leaders.
Unable to defeat Elendil, Sauron escapes. But Gil-Galad gives no chances to Ringwraith, slaying the beast without mercy. This causes panic among some Mordor soldiers. Only few of them are still fighting.

End of the turn map:

Turn 11
Escaping from Elendil, Sauron meets Gil-Galad. Elven king takes his Aiglos and storms against surrounded Dark Lord. He manages to hurt Sauron badly. Elendil wastes no time as well. He kills Beast of Mordor. More orcs are slain and Sauron stands now alone against the allies.

End of the turn map:

Turn 12
Together, Elendil and Gil-Galad attack Sauron. Dark Lords falls and Elendil cuts off his finger with a Ring of Power. Some more orcs are approaching the battlefield, but terrible message of fall of their leader breaks their morale. Shocked, they escape, seeking only for survive. Allies are winners.
14 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, a fantastic report! I was hoping the arrival of the Trolls would have turned the tide. I've got to do my best to get these games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I think that Mordor should get supplies more quickly, this could make this game more dynamic and less one sided.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring a gun to a puppet fight
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
OverText is totally worth 100 units of imaginary, worthless currency
badge
What the Hell else am I supposed to do with GeekGold?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have Sauron casting the night-turn spell and giving the Beast the death breath ability in turn 5. But Sauron is only allowed to cast one spell per game-turn, and giving the Beast a magical ability counts as a spell attempt. That's my understanding of the rules, anyway.

It's one of the reasons it's nigh impossible for Sauron to win.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's why it was changed her a bit, otherwise you have to wait for the night turns to use a beast.
Like I said, Sauron has chances, but his whole army should appear at the board in turn 4-7. Otherwise game is one sided masscare of the Mordor troops.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
You have Sauron casting the night-turn spell and giving the Beast the death breath ability in turn 5. But Sauron is only allowed to cast one spell per game-turn, and giving the Beast a magical ability counts as a spell attempt. That's my understanding of the rules, anyway.

It's one of the reasons it's nigh impossible for Sauron to win.


But is it really possible to cast Total Eclipse and summon the Beast in the same turn? That's a real game changer!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
mistermarino wrote:
You have Sauron casting the night-turn spell and giving the Beast the death breath ability in turn 5. But Sauron is only allowed to cast one spell per game-turn, and giving the Beast a magical ability counts as a spell attempt. That's my understanding of the rules, anyway.

It's one of the reasons it's nigh impossible for Sauron to win.


But is it really possible to cast Total Eclipse and summon the Beast in the same turn? That's a real game changer!

We thought this is logical changes, because otherwise there's small chance to even use Beast...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think here is where the rules get foggy.

In the Sequence of Play it refers if a spell was cast in Leader Magic Phase A cannot cast in Leader Magic Phase E(only once per game turn)

But that contradicts the rules on Magic in which a Leader may cast as many spells as he can and only limited by his Magic Point total. Sauron has 45 magic points! So I've always felt he(or any other leader) can cast as many spells up to his total in Only One of the two Leader Magic Phases. Otherwise why give Sauron that many points if he could only cast 1 spell a game turn?

So to the above question, I say Yes Sauron could cast Total Eclipse of the Sun and the Death Breath as that would only cost 30 points and he would still have 15 points left for something else(or more)

As a House rule I keep track of Points used for the entire Game Turn(not just in the one Phase) ,So since Sauron has 45 points he could use any amount of those in both Magic Phases but it can't exceed the total for the entire Game turn of his total(so Sauron could say use 30 in Magic Phase A and 15 in Magic Phase E) .It also better reflects a leader not going crazy casting all his points in just one phase which would be a big energy drain on him if used all at once.

LoL, But as the way the rules are written I could be completely wrong too

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jackiesavon wrote:


But that contradicts the rules on Magic in which a Leader may cast as many spells as he can and only limited by his Magic Point total. Sauron has 45 magic points! So I've always felt he(or any other leader) can cast as many spells up to his total in Only One of the two Leader Magic Phases. Otherwise why give Sauron that many points if he could only cast 1 spell a game turn?


Yes. I'd understand if there'd be some kind of powerfull spell that consumes those 45 points. But there isn't any. I understand they wanted to show how powerfull Sauron.
jackiesavon wrote:

So to the above question, I say Yes Sauron could cast Total Eclipse of the Sun and the Death Breath as that would only cost 30 points and he would still have 15 points left for something else(or more)

As a House rule I keep track of Points used for the entire Game Turn(not just in the one Phase) ,So since Sauron has 45 points he could use any amount of those in both Magic Phases but it can't exceed the total for the entire Game turn of his total(so Sauron could say use 30 in Magic Phase A and 15 in Magic Phase E) .It also better reflects a leader not going crazy casting all his points in just one phase which would be a big energy drain on him if used all at once.

This is interesting idea. I'd give him even a chance to restore, let's say, 5 point per turn if he rests or 2 points if he moves or fight. Still, I think "Gondor" had better magic rules than "Sauron" has.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sauron is really the weaker of the two games and I wonder if any of this that has been brought up happened in playtesting.If we can find issues they surely must have

Then again I also wonder if those SPI "Friday Night" game nights weren't used by the majority of the gamers that came in for playing for fun and not really looking for issues. That and SPI's famous not spending enough time on each project because of time constraints
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jackiesavon wrote:
Sauron is really the weaker of the two games and I wonder if any of this that has been brought up happened in playtesting.If we can find issues they surely must have

Then again I also wonder if those SPI "Friday Night" game nights weren't used by the majority of the gamers that came in for playing for fun and not really looking for issues. That and SPI's famous not spending enough time on each project because of time constraints

I think that problem lays in the way both games were made. SPI guys wanted them to simulate events from the books. They weren't thinking about making good wargames, but about placing events from the books at the boards. Same problem goes to the "War of the Ring".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring a gun to a puppet fight
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
OverText is totally worth 100 units of imaginary, worthless currency
badge
What the Hell else am I supposed to do with GeekGold?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this many times in my youth and have reread the rules on multiple occasions in my, um, more advanced years. I'm quite sure that the rules, as written, only allow one spell attempt per game turn. And in addition, Sauron only gets 45 points total to use during the entire game.

I was known on occasion to push all the Sauron reinforcements in a turn earlier. But generally I was content to play with the rules as written and see how long the bad guys could last.

If you're looking for play balance, then at a minimum you must bring in Sauron's reinforcements a turn (or two) earlier and house rule that giving the Beast an initial magical ability doesn't count as a spell attempt. Another possibility is to delay the Westernesse reinforcements by one turn.

I only saw two Sauron wins. One was against me by a guy who, in the finest tradition of rules lawyering, cheated. The other was by me against a newbie who didn't play aggressively and let me hang around in good order until the night turns.

I have a fondness for this game that is entirely disproportionate to its actual quality. Possibly I'm not right in the head.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
45 points for the entire game makes much more sense to go along with 1 spell a turn


I have a fondness for many games also that a majority think not historical enough or doesn't really show the true tactics of the period-SPI's Thirty Years War quad being one of them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they could just change victory goals. Keeping certain board points for certain time would be much easier for Sauron than simply trying to get magical weapons.

Also, I think that they could make a game about battle of Osgilliath - something that would give Dark Side chances of winning.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.