GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Storm of Steel» Forums » Rules

Subject: Transportation of the BEF to France rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Grey
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
It seems odd to me that on turn one of the campaign game the entente player can transport the BEF to only Cherborg, as it is the only port on the Atlantic coast of France. Cherborg is not connected by rail to the French rail net so the BEF have to force march from Cherborg on the second impulse to a rail hex, in order to be rail transported to the front on the third impulse (assuming that the French player is using the Michal strategic card). This seems very unhistoric, as the BER were in position at Mons prior to the German 1st armies arrival. It makes more sense to me that Cherborg should be connected by rail to the rail net, or (as was historically true) Le Harve is a port hex, which is on a rail hex, connected to the front. Does this sound reasonable, or am i missing something here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin,

Cherbourg is the only French naval base on the Atlantic coast; LeHavre and Calais are also ports. Check the TEC--any coastal city is a port, the anchors represent naval bases. So you should be able to land the BEF at one of those two cities.

-Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Grey
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
I see... Thank you. Sometimes the simplist thing escapes me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I really that clueless, but I've just set-up the game, and I can't seem to find the BEF anywhere (on the set-up charts that is).

And, shouldn't these guys be in Mons (1 hex south of Brussels) anyway at start. instead of moved to France/Belgium on the first turn.

Cheers, Haring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BEF are the HQ, 3 X 10-4-2 Inf, and the 4-2-3 Cav setup in Britain at the start. Turn 1 is likely to have multiple (3 or 4) impulses, so that should allow the units to transport to Calais or Ostend and them move into position. The BEF will be arriving in parts over a few impulses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks for the answer.

Gamewise this is now clear. I still do not agree with it from a historic point of view, but I'll see what home rules I can brew up after a "normal" game.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Haring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.