Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my game a couple of days ago and I'm not exactly a minis painter, so I wanted a quick and easy way to color my gears. On the advice of someone on BGG, I used a WOOD STAIN. While it did change the color, it also made the gears sticky and that's not good. In fact, it's a disaster!

I need some help from those of you who are good and knowledgeable about this sort of thing. What do I do now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh! You have my sympathies. Unfortunately I have no idea how to help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy. Go to a hobby shop and get a top-coat spray (they will know what you are looking for). Get either a flat or semi-gloss (I used semi-gloss on mine). Spray them, with thin layer and they will now be non-sticky, when they dry. You would want to do this step anyway.

I use a varnish quick shade for all my minis, then top-coat fix everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumpty wrote:
I used a WOOD STAIN. While it did change the color, it also made the gears sticky and that's not good. In fact, it's a disaster!

Perhaps you've replicated history there. I wonder if that is what the Mayans did and is maybe the reason why they became extinct?

(Good luck in getting it sorted out BTW)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be prepared, too, to do a fair bit of sanding on the teeth. Some folks, myself included, have had to do this even without paint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chiu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to sand the teeth.
Just enlarge the holes in the board slightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't sand the teeth. No need to make further problems, get in deeper. Just top-coat them, attach them, and spin them for a bit. Might not be smooth, at first, but break in fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Easy. Go to a hobby shop and get a top-coat spray (they will know what you are looking for). Get either a flat or semi-gloss (I used semi-gloss on mine). Spray them, with thin layer and they will now be non-sticky, when they dry. You would want to do this step anyway.

Thanks. I really appreciate your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
dumpty wrote:
I need some help from those of you who are good and knowledgeable about this sort of thing. What do I do now?

With due respect to the above contributors, I don’t think that the OP is seeking DIY painting advice.

Whilst I’m no lawyer, I think you have solid grounds for legal redress against either BGG or the negligent “woodstain blogger”.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am NOT seeking legal advice. I only want to get myself out of a "sticky" situation and fix the gears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:

I would get a bottle of matte varnish from liquitex along with a throw-away brush. I know Michaels stocks this. It is a milky liquid that dries clear just like the top coat spray mentioned above. However, you have more control over the application.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.