Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How often did a B-17 fly? The game covers 11/42 to 5/43--so are the 25 missions evenly distributed across this time frame? Were they clustered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever the weather allowed a mission!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Ewa Beach
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wikipedia lists the dates of the missions that the Memphis Belle flew http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Belle_(B-17)

While this is purely anecdotal and doesn't really answer your question, it may give you a sense for how often they flew. It looks like 7-14 days between sorties was the norm with larger (~2 week) gaps between sorties in the Fall/Winter of '42, then less mission spacing in Spring '43, probably as the weather improved. Again, all this is anecdotal.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
How often did a B-17 fly? The game covers 11/42 to 5/43--so are the 25 missions evenly distributed across this time frame? Were they clustered?

Neopwius,
If you look at the dates for the 281st BG (H) missions in the Play-by-Forum you will get an idea of the frequency. Ever since the second campaign I have followed the 8th USAAF time line.

Also in the campaign News thread are some links to sites that document the operations of the USAAF. Missions were scheduled on the weather. If weather was good then every day a mission could be flown. With bad weather then about every few days to a week. At times I have read where planes flew two missions in a day, but that was EXTREMELY RARE!

For convince I have copied the links mentioned above for you here;

I hope this helps!
If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
danwr wrote:
Wikipedia lists the dates of the missions that the Memphis Belle flew http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Belle_(B-17)

While this is purely anecdotal and doesn't really answer your question, it may give you a sense for how often they flew. It looks like 7-14 days between sorties was the norm with larger (~2 week) gaps between sorties in the Fall/Winter of '42, then less mission spacing in Spring '43, probably as the weather improved. Again, all this is anecdotal.

Dan

Dan,
Yes this was the frequency of a single plane, though no one plane made every mission. This is the reason for the gaps of 1-2 weeks. It all depended on the health of the crews and the airworthiness of the ships. Also, an aircrew was on a rotation of, loosely, three missions on and one off. Plus, after reaching about the half way point they started to let the crews have a two week break to rest up for their final missions.

Missions were flown due to weather as Aerogoose stated. and could be as quick as the next day. So you are very correct in stating the Memphis Belle record is anecdotal.

Good stuff this!
Jim cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Ewa Beach
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very interesting, thanks Jim!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! I imagine it was uncommon for crew to get promoted in the space of their 25-mission campaign, then, given how short the period would have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
Excellent! I imagine it was uncommon for crew to get promoted in the space of their 25-mission campaign, then, given how short the period would have been.

Neopeius,
I am not that well versed in ranks and promotions in the USAAF, though I know the progression of ranks and have a working grasp on what ranks are in what crew positions. As for progression through the ranks, I know there were those who moved up during their time in the USAAF and during their twenty-five missions.

We do progress much quicker than in real life in the 281st BG(H). This is to generate interest and to add to the flavor of our campaign. It also gives incentive to keep those boys alive for one more mission.

I do know that during the Second World War a Squadron could only have one Major in it. This man was the Squadron CO and ran the show for that squadron. He would fly the lead plane in the squadron and at times fly lead for the Group too. As for Captain's, there could be up to four in a plane. I have read a few time where the pilot was a lieutenant and he had Captains as Bombardiers or Navigators, but this was real rare as the pilot was most always the highest ranking officer in the plane.

My system for promotion, came from the 88th BG(H) online campaign, is that after 10 missions your pilot is bumped up one rank, after 20 missions he will bump one more rank. If your office is lucky enough to make it to 25 missions then he gets one more bump. so this could be the progression;

start:
2nd Lieutenant

after 10 missions:
1st Lieutenant

after 20 missions:
Captain

after 25 missions:
Major (and a transfer to an open spot)

This is the fast track to fame, but for the campaign it adds flavor and gives players a chance to move up to command one of our squadrons.

Hope this explains what I'm doing here and how it somewhat worked in WW2.

Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the enlisted? Same schedule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of, I'm not as hard and fast with them. Usually we do every ten missions then a bump. Progressions is as follows;

Sgt to SSgt

SSgt to TSgt

TSgt to FSgt

FSgt to MSgt

Sgt = Sargent
SSgt = Staff Sargent
TSgt = Tech Sargent
FSgt = First Sargent (not sure this was a rank in WW2)
MSgt = Master Sargent

Hope this helps!

Jim

PS, If anyone has better information PLEASE Correct me where I am mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,

According to here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_enlisted_ran...

First Sergeant is below Master Sergeant

M/Sgt
1st Sgt
T/Sgt
S/Sgt
Sgt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.