GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,261 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Chapter 9 - Am I missing something? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Nate
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having trouble with chapter 9. Vurst is a cheese generation machine rolling 3 dice for defense. We are using Collin and Tilda, I can't see any other way to do this without heals. Tilda does crappy damage but Collin needs the heals. The Sorrow Blade doesn't help much, Tilda spends a lot of time healing and not much attacking.

Having the chapter end marker at 5 has been rough, we tend to lose on the second to last tile by having too many surges. Am I missing something here? This is the first time we have lost a chapter and we're on try number 5 or 6 now. In fact, I think this chapter may have been only the second time a mouse has fallen in the game, all thanks to the sorrow blade. We even tried to switch back to Collin's regular sword as the rules say Collin starts with the Sorrow Blade equipped, not that he doesn't have his regular sword in his pack.

Is this chapter just exponentially more difficult than the previous 8? Am I missing a rule on Vurst? So close to the end and so close to trading this away in frustration at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 2 opportunities to advance the chapter end marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Nate
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that, but unfortunately, we didn't have maginos in the group to get the crown token on the previous chapter. Is there a way to achieve the second chapter end advance without that token? Maybe it's just lucky rolls or a hammer of nandon we need to get through.

I'm assuming when Vurst turns to the minion side, we have to turn him back before we explore? A typical problem for us has been exploring to a new tile when the cheese wheel is only a couple wedges shy of a surge. Vurst turns early on the new tile and we end up fighting a fresh tile full of minions plus Vurst. By the time Vurst switches back, the wheel is nearly full or completely full again. Maybe we'll try a high damage, no heals party with Collin and Nez. We'll probably get captured some, but maybe it will be a wash chapter advance wise vs. a low total damage output group with heals.

In any event, thanks for the response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This probably won't help, but our Tilda had the Hammer of Nandon to to keep Vurst in Line. We got the Hammer thanks to Tinkerer's Tools earlier in the campaign.

I have also done this chapter using Lilly and First Aid.

If Tilda has her starting weapon, and nobody else has First Aid, then this chapter is harder. In this case, I would probably use Colin's Sword as Colin's saved search card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nez actually can't be used in chapter 9. It's tricky, but I just squeaked out a victory using Lily + her bow to manage cheese on the wheel. Filch might help with that as well. We did luck out when the minions did enough damage to Vurst to make switching him back to our side a little easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've some problems too.

First of all is it correct that in every tile I have to use an encounter card? For example in the first tile I had to fight 4 roaches and Vurst. When a surge occours Vurst turns evil again and 2 more rats comes...

I played that Collin's sword is not with him so he can't switch the two weapons. But the sorrow blade is so painful... it makes more wounds to Collin than to his enemies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
romendil wrote:
First of all is it correct that in every tile I have to use an encounter card? For example in the first tile I had to fight 4 roaches and Vurst. When a surge occours Vurst turns evil again and 2 more rats comes...
Vurst turning is the special surge, so you just get that, not the surge on the encounter card as well.

This was - by far - the chapter which gave us the most trouble: we've played through the story as a whole twice, and had to replay a few chapters once ... and this one six times.

It's probably best to take Collin's sword as the one item carried over, and then use that rather than the Sorrow Blade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. Ch.9 is hard indeed, and even more because of my interpretation of my doubts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.