GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,403 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Hive» Forums » News

Subject: 2013 Hive tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2013 Hive tournament has reached the semi-finals, the final four are Eucalyx, Kkurtonis, Image13 and Stepanzo. Eucalyx has been in the finals in several previous years, but has never won overall. The other three are newcomers.
http://www.boardspace.net/cgi-bin/tournament-signup.cgi?tour...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Eucalyx is in the final with ether Image13 or Stepanzo.
Should be a very interesting final

Just received the trophy, ready to send to the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsai image13
Taiwan
flag msg tools
Today GMT 13:00,I and stepanzo will fight for the qualification to challenge Eucalyx in the final.

Stepanzo is extremely powerful with the new bug,so he makes me sleepless.soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Final between Eucalyx & Image13.
First games scheduled for 16th of July (Tuesday), 12:00pm GMT.
Best of luck guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First 2 games of the Final played today using Pillbug: 1-1, both games won by the players using black.
Next games scheduled for tomorrow same time.

Pre-production samples of the Pillbug also arrived today

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is turning out to be an amazing final.
The second batch of three games were played today, with Image13 using his Pillbug to air-lift his own Queen into a winning position surrounding Eucalyx Queen.
And then another win by Image13 gives him 3-1 and looks to all that this could be over with the next game.
Eucalyx then takes 3 min to clear his head and comes back with an epic game using all his arsenal: Pillbug, Mosquito and Ladybug, to take the next game.
Wow what a great final this is turning out to be I'm looking forward to watching tomorrows games.
If Image13 takes the first then it's all over but if not then they play a sudden death 7th game.
Same time tomorrow 12pm GMT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to image13, the 2013 Hive champion!

Congratulations also to Christian (Eucalyx at BoardSpace) for reaching the finals again this year.

A note to Christian: You are too good as a teacher! You have personally trained the last 3 champions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsai image13
Taiwan
flag msg tools
rmingersoll wrote:
Congratulations to image13, the 2013 Hive champion!

Congratulations also to Christian (Eucalyx at BoardSpace) for reaching the finals again this year.

A note to Christian: You are too good as a teacher! You have personally trained the last 3 champions!

Sorry for my poor english.

Randy,I remember first time I meet you in Boardspace Lobby,I lose every game,
Then I ask you:"How can I do to win?"
you introduce me some concept about Hive,and your book:"Play Hive like a champion"
then I bought a real book and read it everyday.
I really learn much from the book,
and specially from every games against you and Eucalyx.
(This prove the title and effect of the book,I wish I can see the second book soon!)

You and Eucalyx always bear my stupid questions and my poor english.
Selflessly teach me all your strategies and tricks,
You two are my good teachers.
Thank you very much !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling

Brisbane
Australia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My congratulations to image13 and thank you for your kind words! You not only played very strong but also more constant on a high level.

A single big blunder like mine in our rather short third game with only 23 moves is unforgivable. Such black outs can be decisive for the result of the entire match (6 games, image13 3.5 - 2.5 Eucalyx).
Anyway, this is what happens more or less to every tournament player due to the pressure: we overlook simple things and make silly mistakes which would rarely occur under normal circumstances.

I really grant you the victory and am happy that our endless hours of playing and analysing HIVE games in the last year were so effective.

We all play HIVE to have fun. Competing with opponents of equal strength is much more enjoyable and deepens our knowledge about sophisticated HIVE tactics and strategies. Therefore, and because it is simply a pleasure to help, I love teaching on boardspace.net. Emotionally, it is a rewarding activity although less rewarding in terms of winning trophies myself.

(Edit after I read that James Ludlow faced me already in 2008!)
Note to Randy and for statistics: In 6 years of participation I have lost 4 times against the player who won the tournament later (3 times in the final). yuk Frustrating, but I will try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eucalyx wrote:
Note to Randy and for statistics: In 5 years of participation I have lost 4 times against the player who won the tournament later (3 times in the final). yuk Frustrating, but I will try again.

I'm impressed at how long you've stuck with it. You beat me in the top-16 bracket in 2008. By the time the next tournament came around, I had switched almost entirely over to go. I can't even imagine the level that you all are playing at now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling

Brisbane
Australia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the release of the Mosquito, the Ladybug and the introduction of the Pillbug the game constantly changed and you don`t have too much time to perfect your style especially when the new piece is published only a few weeks before the tournament starts.

There is still so much to discover... . Millions of people play GO and chess for decades without getting bored. Compared to that I am still an advanced newbie. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsai image13
Taiwan
flag msg tools
I forget to thank Pillbug laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Kopsidas
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Christian. Although Hive 'feels' less complex than a heavy abstract like chess, we are constantly discovering new lines of play, even in the basic game without expansions. Also, the pillbug throws most of our knowledge out of the window and is the reason why players like image13 and stepanzo did so well this year, outplaying those of us who didn't put enough time to learn it.

I personally think Hive+P is a more 'complete' game than the basic version and is what we mostly tested on our games this tournament. Therefore I highly recommend buying it even if you don't like the ladybug or the mosquito. Hive+PLM on the other hand hasn't been tested much and I think there is a lot of room for exploring new strategies there. Maybe next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurray for Hive and for all the winners of this year's tournament.

This game is like a real hive - constantly changing shape, buzzing and swarming, and completely changing after a small addition, such as the Pillbug. That's why Hive is my favorite abstract game, even if I'm not so good at as it I'd like to belaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kikijiki wrote:
I personally think Hive+P is a more 'complete' game than the basic version and is what we mostly tested on our games this tournament.

That's good to know. What pushed me away after 2008 was the high volume of drawn games between skilled players. The 2009 rule prohibiting Q:Q openings did a lot to fix that, but I still haven't played much since then.

I've kept up on the expansions, and I'll get the pill bug whenever it's available. Maybe I should dust off my boardspace account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:

I've kept up on the expansions, and I'll get the pill bug whenever it's available. Maybe I should dust off my boardspace account.

This is good. I challenge you to a game or two!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.