Subject: Family relaxes after an unusually tough Saturday rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was not the best of Saturdays for our 9-year-ol son. He didn't do well at his volleyball game in the morning. He had to continue studying for the state-wide skill assessment test for 3rd graders. And the model car we bought for him wasn't getting built very easily. All he wanted to do was play GameCube all day.

After dinner, we let him veg out by watching cartoons in the evening. But then he suggested we play Sleeping Queens while we watched the Olympics. It's an excellent game for him and our 5-year-old daughter. She's just starting to read, and has few math skills, yet.

We ended up playing three games. In the first, my son and wife teamed up against me and our daughter. It was a close contest, and there plenty of take-this, take-that plays. Both teams got to 45 points (50 to win), and we had a king in our hand. We thought we had an sure win, so we played the king, and we woke up the Cat Queen. Unfortunately, we already had the Dog Queen, so we had to the put the Cat Queen back to sleep. When we did that, my wife mixed up the cards, so we didn't know where the Cat Queen was (arrgh!). Fortunately, they didn't have any kings, or cards to steal one of our queens. On the next turn, we played another king, and won the game by waking up another queen.

In the second, our son decided to play alone. My daughter still played on my team. Our son did an excellent job of playing cards at the right time, and stealing other queens, and won the game.

In the third game, our daughter decided she wanted to play alone, so we had four teams - we only needed 40 points to win. This was very cool, because she was getting more confident with herself. My son ended up winning the third game also. He got an early lead with a couple queens, and then stole the remaining queens for the win. So his day ended much better than it started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.