Subject: HELP!! Star Wars Risk Question: Order 66 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Sykes
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, hoping someone can help with a quick rules clarification for Star Wars Risk: The Clone Wars Edition.

When a separatist player decides to use Order 66, does he roll a dice for EACH and EVERY Republic planet regardless of whether he wins the first planet? The rules seem to be a little ambiguous in this regard, suggesting you only roll for all planets if you FAIL the first roll.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, you roll for each and every one of them. That means the seperatist player can end up with almost all the planets, but if you're a clever player of the republic you'll make sure to deplete your planets of troops and save a lot of cards to make an all out assault against Palpatine early after order 66.

mads

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sykes
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much mads!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sykes
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Just played this last night with the clarified rules. Order 66 is a powerful weapon!! Need to think through counter-tactics for the Republic a little more carefully. I like it though, it turns what could otherwise be another Risk clone but with a different map into a completely different game. Thanks again for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I really like about this Risk variant is the feel of a storyline and the fact that it can be played in about an hour or an hour and a half.

But concerning strategy my experience is that The Republic will usually win because getting to Sidious is not that hard if the "good" player has an ample supply of cards. But then again, I haven't played it for a while and maybe I just need to brush up my seperatist-strategies.

mads

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beaty
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
Maybe I should ask this question on the strategy forum, especially since this is a year old post on the rules forum, but Mads B.'s statement, quoted below, made me wonder...

mads b. wrote:
... but if you're a clever player of the republic you'll make sure to deplete your planets of troops and save a lot of cards to make an all out assault against Palpatine early after order 66.

mads

I have just got this game and have yet to play it, but I THOUGHT that a player could only keep up to 4 cards after step 4. The end of the step 4 card says:

"*If you have more than four cards left at the end of this step, discard or play them until you have four or fewer."

So my question is, as a republic player, how do you recover from a Order 66, if you can't hoard more than 4 cards? Seems to me after an Order 66, a republic player would be able to, at best,blush get 7 armies (if he had a full "set" of 3 ship cards: fighter, corvette & capital), and 1 ship of whatever type (if he had a 4th card to turn in). I guess once I've played and see the rules in action, Mads B.'s strategy will make more sense.

If anyone sees this post and can provide some clarification, I would appreciate it. (If the answer is not already in the strategy forums which I will be reading next.) THANX.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Haggerty
United States
flag msg tools
Quote:
If anyone sees this post and can provide some clarification, I would appreciate it.

You've stated the dilemma very well, if a Separatist player times Order 66 to hit when both Republic players have few cards in hand.

But, since the card limit only kicks in at Step 4, a Republic player could end his turn with more than four cards in his hand: he could have up to four carryovers plus one (or two) for conquering planets from one (or both) Separatist armies, plus any bonus cards earned for Separatist tokens captured.

So if the Republic players feel Order 66 is imminent, they need to start retaining more cards at the end of Step 4 (up to the four maximum allowed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.