Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I've been hunting for a good (and fun) tactical game of Napoleonic confrontation.

I'd like lines of battle and formations, I'd like it to be fairly easy to teach others, and I'd like it to be fun. Minatures are the closest thing I've been able to find right now and I don't have the investment capital nor the time for them. Is there anything close gamewise?

There are games I've been thinking about, but none of them are exactly right...Napoleonic is my top choice (blame the Richard Sharpe novels), but I could live with American Civil War or even Fantasy. Fantasy wise it might be Battleground:Fantasy Warfare that would be closest to what I'm currently itching for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that "Bonaparte at Marengo" is the best choice right now. Less expensive than miniatures, but the rectangular blocks give the look of a real battle, with line formations, and of course the map helps too!

It's easy to teach how to play, maybe not so easy how to play well!

And if Napoleonic is your top choice, you should find it fun... (I prefer other periods of history but I find it fun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonaparte at Marengo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Bonaparte at Marengo, I would also highly recommend "Napoleon" by Columbia Games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1662

It's focus is on Waterloo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Bonaparte at Marengo here. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wofford
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonaparte at Marengo is a great choice; it also has the advantage of being a great, tight, fast playing 2-p game. If, however, you are really in love with the idea of miniatures you might want to look at Battle Cry, the first Borg game in the Command and Colors series. Marengo is the "better game" though IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! It's a landslide! Bonaparte at Marengo has been on my radar for most of the last year and it is one I would really like. I guess that takes the cake then and it'll have to be a purchase if it fits the bill so well.

The Battle Cry recomendation is a good one too. I do have that one and it's close to what I'm after, but isn't quite it.

What I'd really like is to be able to send a squad out to a flank and call out the skirmishers, change the formation of my main columns into squares as needed, space them for rolling rifles, and go after the enemy. Almost a man level type of game, but I think that really is only posible with minatures at the moment.

Napoleon (columbia and avalon hill) is also in my closet. I have the avalon game and that is a good recomendation...I guess I just forgot about it...it does have the tactical board as well as the stratgeic board. Jeez, guess I should have looked in house first. blush

Thanks guys, it looks like Bonaparte at Marengo is a must. Mucho appreciado for all your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhenke wrote:
What I'd really like is to be able to send a squad out to a flank and call out the skirmishers, change the formation of my main columns into squares as needed, space them for rolling rifles, and go after the enemy. Almost a man level type of game, but I think that really is only posible with minatures at the moment.

Wellington's Victory (SPI, OOP but still had for a decent price), or maybe some of CoA's La Battille series would fit this bill.

However, I still have to recommend BaM for playability, replayability, tension and just plain fun! (Obviously, because I recommend this game to everybody!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though BaM is a great game (I have it and enjoy it quite a bit)... I too am looking for a "tactical" level napoleonic game.

I want to form my regiments into squares. Form a column and charge. Send out skirmishers.....

And BaM does not have these things. Many miniature games do - but usually take far too long to play (and paint soblue )

System 7 is an close alternative, but I am looking for a more modern interpretation - faster playing - but with all the colour and pangentry of miniatures (on cardboard)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
This kind of scale isn't going to be usable with large (or even fairly small) battles. You're going to be trying to do a battalion vs. battalion action that's part of a much larger battle, which doesn't work very well. Also, Napoleonic units really didn't operate in units smaller than a batallion. This precise scale is a problem.

That said, I'd suggest looking at "Napoleon's Battles" from Avalon Hill. It's out of print, but copies are available fairly easily through eBay, used game store, the BGG marketplace (two copies available right now), etc., at reasonable prices.

Napoleon's Battles comes with nice, illustrated cardboard counters that you use like miniatures (it's really a set of miniatures rules, but the counters let you avoid that complication). The system is simple and fast-playing, easy to teach. It is at a higher level than many Napoleonic miniatures games, so you don't even worry about what individual batallions are doing. As a result, "Fire Combat" is really cannon plus skirmishers out in front of your main formation, while "Melee Combat" is anything from your main body being in musket range to actual bayonet, club, and teeth combat.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5504

There's apparently a second edition, from the same designers, but I don't know if it include counters or not. In any case, it's sold out, so you have to wait for them to print more. http://www.napoleonsbattles.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chime in with the rest and agree that you can't go wrong with Bonaparte at Marengo. The emphasis on that game is maneuver, and as others have said, it's a great, tight game.

Though not Napoleonic, I can think of a couple of others that you may want to try:

Prussia's Glory: Grand tactical Fredrick the Great warfare, in that there's plenty of room for pre-battle maneuvering (each hex is 500 yards IIRC), and you can choose to put your men in column to get where you want to go faster (if your commanders are up for it). Battle lines are a bit abstracted, as the order in which you stack your units in each hex shows which are the ones in the front lines, and which are reserve. Relatively simple hex-and-counter, but also relatively quick playing and a lot of fun.

Sweden Fights On (or some other in the Musket & Pike Battle Series): Tactical battles (each hex is 100 yards, IIRC) in the Thirty Years War. Though it's rather earlier than Napoleonic, you get what you want; sending out skirmishers to possibly draw out cavalry (which is able to move as a reaction to certain things; indeed, reacting properly during an opponent's turn in this game is important), huge lines of heavy infantry (most HI units are 2 hexes wide!) with terrifying firepower and the ability to hedgehog when necessary, and a command and control system that rocks. Though the subject is a bit obscure, at least compared to the Big Three (Napoleonic, ACW, WWII), it's a fantastic series of games. Take a look and see if it may be something you'd like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, more options rolling in....very cool and thank you guys.

I'm going to check out "Napoleon's Battles", "Prussias Glory", and "Sweeden Fights On" as they all seem like viable options. BAM still will be on the buy list though as you all enjoyed it so much and I've been looking at getting it for quite awhile.

The note that Ethan McKinney makes regarding scale is a good one and take it to heart in agreement.

I'm ok with it not being whole fields or whole battles, but little engagments. Say simply holding a thin red line or redoubt against a charging foe even. The simple battles could then be combined into an over all campaign or something.

"Wellingtons' Victory" the old SPI monster mentioned above is one I actually looked at and counted peices of at a local shop. The maps were massive, the counter count was incredible...it looked dead on, but it was way too long and involved for my sucking someone into playing now. I had to pass on it. As much as I'd love a monster game like that, I have no shot of getting it on the table (in Wellington's Victory that'd be a literal statment as well) with my modern players.

Guys, your help is greatly appreciated and your thoughts are invaluable in researching this. I'm off to look at the other games mentioned!

Thank you and have a great night!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also see if you can find "Ney vs. Wellington". It uses the "Wellington's Victory" system, but for a much smaller battle (Quatre-Bras instead of Waterloo). Wellington's Victory is a great design, but it is a beast; NvW is MUCH more manageable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check out Clash for a Continent. It's similar to Memoir '44 but perhaps a step up in complexity (that's good, as far as I'm concerned). Battles of the Seven Years War in North America and of the American Revolution. May be just the scale you're looking for, and easy and fast to play, to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just looking at 'Clash for a continent' last week. Funny!

'Sweden fights on' does seem to fit the bill. I'm going to swing through the rules, but I'm intrigued! Thanks for that tip by the way.

"Ney" will also go into the research! Thanks for that tip too.

Very cool leads guys, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.