Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Kowalczyk
United States
Somonauk
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through a few small squad engagements(just a couple of squads, MG and leader) to get a really basic setup to learn the rules and things are really making sense so far(time to move up to a full blown scenario ). But as far as leaders go if they are of the 0 leadership variety (8-0, 7-0, etc.) these are the only uses I see for them 1)extra movement for squads, 2)No cowering, 3) able to use an abandoned SW in a pinch. Are there any other uses for this type of leader that I have missed? It seems they are of no help in rallying a broken unit .

Thanks in advance.

Ted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're very helpful in rallying...remember that both players can attempt rallies during the Rally Phase, but only if the unit has a self-rally capability (they have a "boxed-in" morale level on their broken side) or if they are in the same hex as a Good Order leader. Without the leader present, the only chance you will have to rally a broken squad is during your turn, when the attacker can select one unbroken squad to momentarily have a self-rallying capability (even then, a leader with no modifier would be helpful in that his presence would prevent the +1 DRM self-rally penalty (which even self-rallying units must use)).

A good use of leaders with a -0 or +1 leadership DRM, assuming you are not going to need them for movement, is to place them in a safe building behind the trrops to act as a "rally point". Broken units can rout back to him and hopefully get back in the fight sooner. Placing a leader up front (especially if they have a 7 or 6 morale level) makes them vulnerable to enemy attack and without a Good Order leader in the area, your broken squads will tend to remain broken. Be especially careful with the 8-0 American leader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kowalczyk
United States
Somonauk
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin!

I knew I must be missing/forgetting something. I have referenced that rule during my battles but didn't put 2 and 2 together for the 0 leadership units.

Thanks again.

Ted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd imagine that you could also use them to restrict the direction that routing units could rout in, or at least get extra opportunaties for interdiction. But I don't think would be a very useful tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordStrabo wrote:
I'd imagine that you could also use them to restrict the direction that routing units could rout in, or at least get extra opportunaties for interdiction. But I don't think would be a very useful tactic.

he'd need an SW with usable FP factors, half in the case of an MG.

Where do you put your 6+1 leaders? indeed they can operate weapons competently: they are elites!

Place a 7-0 or 8-0 at the back to field routers, especially with 6-morale squads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaders prevent cowering on doubles and I think they may be needed for FGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Leaders prevent cowering on doubles and I think they may be needed for FGs.
Leaders are wonderful to have up front and in-hex with the squads if they're on the offensive. If that side is on the defensive, it's usually better to have them in a rally point. The 9s and 10s can usually survive getting hit, and the American -2 DRM leaders are especially necessary up front to help the 6-6-6 squads from breaking (they have a high survival instrinct but like to get back into the fight).

You don't need leaders to form a firegroup...all you need are units in the same hex or continuous hexes with each hex able to have LOS with the target. Where leaders help in a FG is when each hex has a leader (so that cowering can be ignored), and the FG can use the worst leadership DRM of those present. Leaders alone cannot be used as a link in a multi-hex FG. If you don't have a leader in every hex of a multi-hex FG, then you get no benefits from leaders, neither help from cowering or a DRM for the shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarification Mr. Moody. I was about to dig out the binder and look up the FG rules myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Haseler
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On certain occasions, your 'low-value' leader/s may need to perform any of the following tasks:
- (if everyone else in his hex breaks and will have to rout), he could remain in place to force an adjacent broken enemy unit to rout away also;
- he can enter an empty hex (especially the ground floor of a multi-hex building) to cut the rout path of a broken enemy unit which one of your MMC has moved adjacent to;
- (even if he is broken) he might remain in his location and thus force broken enemy unit/s (which can see him) to rout at equal distance to or away from his position;
- his presence can keep control of a Building (but it won't be a long-term solution unless the scenario is coming to an end);
- he can use his extra MF to scout (by attempting to enter) a location that you suspect may contain a hidden Gun (or Minefield etc if such is added to ASLSK);
- recovering valuable SW to pass on to an MMC later, or

and of course, there will be the usual tasks of rallying and preventing cowering...

PaulH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.