Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Lewandowski
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke (my 9 year old son) has lately been my main live-gaming opponent. We usually play Pokémon Trading Card Game once a week or so, (we like to play with the pre-made decks, with an occasional tweak) and we have been playing a bit of Summoner Wars, he likes to play with the Phoenix Elves and nearly always beats me with them, (the "Precise" skill set is my Nemesis!), but I would prefer to train him in the wargame mold...small steps.

He really enjoys Memoir '44 and Nexus Ops and I got him to play Jena 20 once, and while he gave it a good shot, he was a bit lost I think in what to do.

Well, this 4th of July, we sat down in the afternoon between shooting off fireworks and watched the movie Gettysburg to remember the 150th anniversary of the battle. It is a long movie, but he was a trooper through it and watched the whole thing. It is a very good movie to watch with someone his age as it is not gory but still shows the horrors of war, but especially because it shows a decent depiction of the battle so that someone his age can understand it.

We had some good conversations about the battle and what the men were fighting for. He was obviously greatly impacted by 2 parts of the movie, the battle for Little Round Top and Pickett's Charge.

Today we played a game of Battle Cry. We looked briefly at the scenarios and he chose Pickett's Charge. He definitely wanted to be the Union (he likes to choose the winning side!) so I took the Confederates and set out to break his lines.

Here he is at the beginning of the battle. We discussed the angle, which he remembered in the movie and my strategy. I decided to take a pretty historical strategy and moved my front lines forward up the middle.

It was a good contest. He used his generals well (this also gave us an opportunity to talk about some of the leaders and the hierarchy of the military) and he took out a few of my troops in the center. I lucked out and got 2 Forced March cards which allowed me to move 2 spaces and still fire.

While we traded casualties, I got a very lucky die roll against an artillery unit of his knocking it out with 2 dice. The hole that I opened up taking out the artillery unit allowed me to push into the center and I was able to finish with a win for the South - 6 banners to 4.

Luke of course was disappointed in the loss, however I was greatly encouraged by the game! This was the first time that we played a war-game where I think he really understood what was happening on the field of battle. He was able to picture the confederate lines moving up in the middle and the artillery pouring fire into the troops and even talked about flanking maneuvers and his wish that he had some cavalry to hit my sides!

I am mostly encouraged by this as I am realizing that one of the reasons he may have been bored in our previous attempts at war-gaming is that he had no real frame of reference to understand what was going on. This has shown me that I just need to do a better job of teaching and talking about different battles, wars, tactics, soldiers, etc. to give him an understanding of what those little miniatures or chits represent.

So while he lost the battle (he refused a photo with the board at the end of the battle)

I think we made a great stride in the future of his war-gaming!
I'm looking for the next mix of game/movie or game/TV program, or even game/book that we can put together, give him an understanding of what we are playing and then watching him try it out with great interest as he watches the battle play out on the map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story. Keep his interest up, wether he war games or not. You might try Columbia games 1812, with a movie/PBS documentary...or Zulu/Zulu Dawn ... Or Band of Brothers? The list is long whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth a GeekGold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Hey You! Yes, you! - Check out my flag collection on my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report! Hope his interest and love for gaming continues to grow.

I ran through a solo play of this (150th CW Anniversary Edition) yesterday, so I could learn all the setup, situations, and rules. It is a fun game and I am looking forward to getting it to the table with my boys.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's some old-school fun, right there! Hope you both enjoy gaming together for many years to come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Willi
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I too am going through something similar, and yes you do have build up his interest and knowledge base. WW2 and war in general just doesn't have the same level of interest with kids anymore. At my sons age, I knew the main weapons used by each side. All I can say is thank god for hollywood. Films do help build up interest and in general terms knowledge, I try to side documentories with the character of drama- docs, or decent cgi (such http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_dbXyeyMa4 ) I have tested the water with other periods but only the middle ages (cool hand to hand weapons ) has sparked any interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.