GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,365 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
165 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Dice Tower winners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Vasel_Bashing [+] [View All]
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargame

1812: The Invasion of Canada

Expansion

Core Worlds: Galactic Orders

Family game
Party game

Love Letter

Art
Theme
Small Publisher

Mice and Mystics

Innovative
New Designer

Space Cadets

Game of the Year
Best Production

X-Wing: Core Set

Nominee list below for reference.

http://www.dicetower.com/dice_tower_awards/2012-awards.html

Source is CSI's product listing for the games. List of the products is here:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1472
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to the winners!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions to those who have played it (genuinely curious): would Xwing be considered a winner based solely on the core set alone, with no expansions, or buying extra core sets? Or do you need to buy more than the base set for it to be considered a viable GotY?

Also, what got best reprint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just me but I just don't find Love Letter has enough replay value to be award worthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Questions to those who have played it (genuinely curious): would Xwing be considered a winner based solely on the core set alone, with no expansions, or buying extra core sets? Or do you need to buy more than the base set for it to be considered a viable GotY?

That's a very good point. It's definitely the later. The core set alone is nothing more than 'ok with potential'. With the expansions it becomes great. Whether that should be a consideration for awards, I don't know. I guess core plus a few expansions costs no more than some games, so it's probably fair enough to consider it all as one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bazpoint wrote:
rahdo wrote:

That's a very good point. It's definitely the later. The core set alone is nothing more than 'ok with potential'. With the expansions it becomes great. Whether that should be a consideration for awards, I don't know. I guess core plus a few expansions costs no more than some games, so it's probably fair enough to consider it all as one.

I guess it depends on what you consider "the game." If it is the rule set, then I would say "yes". But miniature games are about the miniatures. I sort of equate it to Warhammer and such. I think the production combined with theme and accessibility of the rules (bringing minature gaming to a broader market) makes it a good candidate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
faustulus wrote:
I guess it depends on what you consider "the game." If it is the rule set, then I would say "yes". But miniature games are about the miniatures. I sort of equate it to Warhammer and such. I think the production combined with theme and accessibility of the rules (bringing minature gaming to a broader market) makes it a good candidate.

I consider 'the game' to be what comes in the box. I wouldn't consider Descent 2nd edition to be what comes in the box, plus a whole bunch of extra expansions I'd have to buy in addition, for example. I wouldn't assume that they evaluated CO2's viability including the limited edition promo cards either... just what's in the box.

I'm asking, btw, because I've completely ignored Xwing up until now, as I assumed if I only picked up the base set, it wouldn't be that great. But to get such a high honor (DT's game of the year!), I'm now thinking about seeking out a copy (or more importantly, a copy of the new Star Trek Attack Wing). But I will not buy any additional ships, period, so it'll be just the 3 starter ships for me.

So, Dice Tower recommends this game with only 3 ships as literally the best, most fun game of 2012 that I can buy. I'm doubting it, hence I figured I'd ask
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
faustulus wrote:

I consider 'the game' to be what comes in the box. I wouldn't consider Descent 2nd edition to be what comes in the box, plus a whole bunch of extra expansions I'd have to buy in addition, for example. I wouldn't assume the evaluated CO2's viability if you include the limited edition promo cards either... just what's in the box.

I'm asking, btw, because I've completely ignored Xwing up until now, as I assumed if I only picked up the base set, it wouldn't be that great. But to get such a high honor (DT's game of the year!), I'm now thinking about seeking out a copy. But I will not buy any additional ships, period, so it'll be just the 3 starter ships for me.

So, Dice Tower recommends this game with only 3 ships as literally the best, most fun game of 2012 that I can buy. I'm doubting it, hence I figured I'd ask :)

I don't think that criteria works for miniature games (many of which don't have boxes, but rather are simply books of rules). It is sort of a different animal than a board game.
The X-Wing is a starter set, so instead of buying the book and then buying the minis, it combines the two. By itself it is a complete game, but limits the size of the engagements.
I can't say how much fun one base game is because I have always played with two or more. I suspect it would prove limiting after a bit as part of a miniature game is building an army (much like building a deck for the trading card games). And coming from a miniature gaming background I am sorta predisposed to their charms.
I don't think the award is for the starter set. I think the award is for the game, which being a miniature game, includes the miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faustulus wrote:
I don't think that criteria works for miniature games (many of which don't have boxes, but rather are simply books of rules). It is sort of a different animal than a board game.
The X-Wing is a starter set, so instead of buying the book and then buying the minis, it combines the two. By itself it is a complete game, but limits the size of the engagements.
I can't say how much fun one base game is because I have always played with two or more. I suspect it would prove limiting after a bit as part of a miniature game is building an army (much like building a deck for the trading card games). And coming from a miniature gaming background I am sorta predisposed to their charms.
I don't think the award is for the starter set. I think the award is for the game, which being a miniature game, includes the miniatures.

Interesting. Well, sounds like it's not for us, and the award itself needs a big * footnote added to the winner, which is fine.

See, if Netrunner had won, I would have assumed it was again based on the core set, not the core set + a half dozen mini expansions. And you can get a lot of game out of that core set, so it would make sense. But for Xwing, not so much it seems.

Thanks everybody!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:

Reprint doesn't seem to be listed. Odd considering the nominees are all in stock.

In terms of X-Wing, I think it's bull crap it won in the first place even as a framework. Just the core set? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
rahdo wrote:

Reprint doesn't seem to be listed. Odd considering the nominees are all in stock.

In terms of X-Wing, I think it's bull crap it won in the first place even as a framework. Just the core set? shake

I imagine that is all more of a matter of being specific than anything else. Note, it also is for best production. As far as core sets of games go, I'd say X-Wing:Core Set is a fine example of great production. There is a lot f game in two or three core sets as well. So there's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no issue with the production part. In terms of a core set, Netrunner beats X-Wing badly. The fact that X-Wing needs more core sets is exactly why it shouldn't win Game of the Year.

EDIT: Dice Tower really does need to create a framework/system of the year. I have a lesser issue if it wins there, but X-Wing as a single purchase for the Game of the Year is essentially as laughable as Tom thinks of a number of the Origins winners. Considering his influence in the board gaming community, it feels more sad than anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said earlier, I think the problem comes from the assumption that this catagory was board game of the year. The miniature game doesn't fit neatly in this mold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I have no issue with the production part. In terms of a core set, Netrunner beats X-Wing badly. The fact that X-Wing needs more core sets is exactly why it shouldn't win Game of the Year.

EDIT: Dice Tower really does need to create a framework/system of the year. I have a lesser issue if it wins there, but X-Wing as a single purchase for the Game of the Year is essentially as laughable as Tom thinks of a number of the Origins winners. Considering his influence in the board gaming community, it feels more sad than anything.

You do realize the Dice Tower awards aren't just Tom's choices right? He's only one of many voices involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faustulus wrote:
As I said earlier, I think the problem comes from the assumption that this catagory was board game of the year. The miniature game doesn't fit neatly in this mold.

Actually, it's an inconsistent set of categories no matter how you slice it. Why do wargames get their own section, but card games don't. Why do party games get one, but not euro games. Etc.

bazpoint wrote:
matthean wrote:

You do realize the Dice Tower awards aren't just Tom's choices right? He's only one of many voices involved.

Yeah, but Tom still puts his name on these - as the front man for Dice Tower, he's responsible and endorses everything DT puts out, including these awards. So he has to stand by the decision to let base Xwing get nominated as best game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
faustulus wrote:

Actually, it's an inconsistent set of categories no matter how you slice it. Why do wargames get their own section, but card games don't. Why do party games get one, but not euro games. Etc.

bazpoint wrote:
matthean wrote:

Yeah, but Tom still puts his name on these - as the front man for Dice Tower, he's responsible and endorses everything DT puts out, including these awards. So he has to stand by the decision to let base Xwing get nominated as best game.

Yeah, but what's wrong with that... I mean during Academy Award time I generally can't stand ANY of the movies that get nominated and win best picture and think there are hands down far better movies out there. But apparently they aren't me. I mean don't get me wrong Argo was a fantastic movie but there were others that were more worthy of best picture last year than it was.

What I find it all comes down to is often times awards are what are viewed as best by those particular people and in no way indicative of public like or enjoyment. Movie critics are the same way for me. Most movies they like I can't stand, most movies they hate I absolutely love, and when we actually agree I am shocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter which game one, someone was going to disagree, such is the nature of awards. They are, by definition, subjective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the difference here is that nominating Xwing base set is something akin to nominating not Argo, but the trailer for Argo, for best picture - and then having the trailer for Argo win!

Though it's certainly open to debate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
I think the difference here is that nominating Xwing base set is something akin to nominating not Argo, but the trailer for Argo, for best picture - and then having the trailer for Argo win!

Though it's certainly open to debate... :)

But the nomination is for the "X-Wing Miniatures game" not the "X-Wing Miniatures game Core Set." Likewise with Android.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bazpoint wrote:

Tom gave X-Wing a 7 as where he gave Mage Wars and Kemet a 9, so I'm not saying he makes the picks. He did however laugh at the winners that Origins have selected and called them terrible and yet the awards that he leads picked X-Wing Core set as the best game of the year. A game that he even mentions at the start of his review as him buying more copies since the core set didn't offer enough. This fact has been repeated by just about everybody. My issue is that a game which isn't apparently even self sufficient enough by itself has zero business being considered Game of the Year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faustulus wrote:
rahdo wrote:

But the nomination is for the "X-Wing Miniatures game" not the "X-Wing Miniatures game Core Set." Likewise with Android.

Then make an award for framework or system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
faustulus wrote:
rahdo wrote:

Though it's certainly open to debate... :)

Then make an award for framework or system.

That is what a game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:

More like The Matrix, rather than the whole trilogy, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, so much for these awards being reputable. A miniature game starter pack with 3 miniatures is the best game of the year? Over games like:

Terra Mystica
Lords of Waterdeep
Tzolkin
Clash of Cultures
Seasons
Android Netrunner (a much better core set than offered by X-wing)
Legends of Andor
CO2
Archipelago
Suburbia
Keyflower
Kemet
Space Cadets
Manhatten Project
Myrmes

I hear a lot of complaining from Tom about how bad other awards are, but this isn't much better honestly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faustulus wrote:
That is what a game is.

Twilight Struggle is a single purchase so I wouldn't say it is a system or framework that gets added onto. By framework or system, I mean a game that is built from the start to be expanded. To me a Game of the Year is the best game that involves a single purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.