Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking at buying this game - I was curious which sets I should buy to start out. Obviously, Worldspanner - but should I also get the seconds set - many reviews/comments I have read have suggested that the two together are much better than playing just the 1st set.

Finally, do I need to get the Master Addendum - I know I can download the instructions from the website, but if the new content is worth it, I would consider also purchasing the master addendum.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rlolar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the same things and recently bought both. After reading the rules, I do think that set 2 adds a lot to the game. But the base set seems to have plenty as well. I'd recommend both, but in no way is it required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
To get the full fun out of the game, you need the first two sets. The rest of the expansions are add-ons, but Worldspanner and Intensity should never have been split. I think that it was a bad decision to split them because too many people judge the game based on Worldspanner alone, and they are missing out on what the game can really deliver.

The Master Addendum is outstanding, but it can be added later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
To get the full fun out of the game, you need the first two sets. The rest of the expansions are add-ons, but Worldspanner and Intensity should never have been split. I think that it was a bad decision to split them because too many people judge the game based on Worldspanner alone, and they are missing out on what the game can really deliver.

The Master Addendum is outstanding, but it can be added later.

Yes. I think it probably goes like this: 1 is better than nothing. 1 and 2 are better than that. 1, 2, and 3 are better than that. 1, 2, 3, and Master Addendum are better than that (though if you are like me, prepare to feel a bit ripped off by the Master Addendum; the rule book really is good, but you are paying a fair bit of money for some underwhelming components). 4-7 are nice to have, but are definitely second tier to getting 1-3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips - I will go ahead and order 1&2 together, download the rules for addendum and if I like the game, immediately pick up 3 (I have a feeling I will love the game - yeah for me boo for wallet )

Thanks for the quick replies!

Rlolar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a matter of personal opinion, but I would rather have a couple of the character/item expansions than set #3. I agree with everyone else that #1 & #2 should be your first purchase. For me, two of the smaller expansions would provide more "replayability". You can buy two of the smaller expansions for not much more than set #3 alone. The Masters Addendum is worth it for the nice rulebook alone, but only if you really enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jim. Set #3 can come after some of the smaller expansions. When I finally broke down and bought it, however, I was happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dockter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 & 2 for sure, I couldn't imagine not playing with Intensity. 3 is good if you feel the need for extra terrain. Of the smaller sets Royal Tournament is my favorite and most easily explained to new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long time player and fanboy
I suggest getting the entire set. Invest in it all. It is worth it and any who say it isn't just doesn't get it.
I would spend double what I did and just may "re-purchase" the entire set to have as a back-up copy of my all-time favorite game.
Now, if spending that much cash is a problem or concern, Id rate the sets in this order of "importance and fun"

#1 Worldspanner
#2 Intensity
#4 Royal Tourney
#5 Merc Camp
#6 Field of Honor
#3 Vast Horizons
#8 Masters
#7 Ruins of Cany
Scrye Pack
Prestige Pack

Masters is only so low because you "need" all of the previous sets for Masters to REALLY shine. If you spring for them all, make sure Masters is included!

Hope this helps
J!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
As a long time player and fanboy
I suggest getting the entire set. Invest in it all. It is worth it and any who say it isn't just doesn't get it.
I would spend double what I did and just may "re-purchase" the entire set to have as a back-up copy of my all-time favorite game.
Now, if spending that much cash is a problem or concern, Id rate the sets in this order of "importance and fun"

#1 Worldspanner
#2 Intensity
#4 Royal Tourney
#5 Merc Camp
#6 Field of Honor
#3 Vast Horizons
#8 Masters
#7 Ruins of Cany
Scrye Pack
Prestige Pack

Masters is only so low because you "need" all of the previous sets for Masters to REALLY shine. If you spring for them all, make sure Masters is included!

Hope this helps
J!

I agree with that order except I would switch Cany and Field of Honor. I ended up really liking the characters that came with #7 and there were a ton of characters in #6 (more than the other expansions) that the Masters fixed so you need Masters to really make the most use out of #6 (ok, you really need Masters to make the best use out of everything but only after you have everything, definately a support set and not stand-alone). I haven't ever found a good use for the FOH key and I regularly use Cany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.