Steve Watkins
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read how some use a custom variant to pay 3 (or another case only 2) quidity to cull any dice ... though when you do it seems to also vary. Some do it when capturing dice, some do it when scoring.
The other variant is to pay (while capturing dice) 4 quidity to load down another player with a corrupted die.

What do you do if you use one of these variants? ... and how do you like playing with that variant?

It especially seems to be increasingly something to consider since apparently the actual official rule for expert culling is:
" When you score a die, you can only cull the die that scored and you can only score the glory for that die if you cull it.
I.e, if you score with a Quake Dragon Die, THAT dragon is the only die you may cull and you only score the glory if you cull it!."

I have been playing as you have a choice not to score, and cull something else ... usually corrupted dice, and basic quidity since if you want to cull your assistants you could just hope they last a round and score them. Which is a bit easier with a squire helping them.

But I wonder if playing by the rule as stated, but require payment to cull basic quidity and corrupted dice would be a better way to resolve reducing the weaker dice in your bag.

It would also resolve the issue a number of creatures whose special ability only triggers when they score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I haven't tried paying quiddity to cull, but I do play a variant in the expert rule that makes assistants any-cull capable, to make them into a more versatile and interesting dice, instead of a 'get rid of them as fast as possible' dice.

As an example: Defender of the Pale + Assistant Scores, the Defender has to be culled, but the assistant goes back to my used and culls a corrupted quiddity instead.

I really like how it strengthens the utility of assistants, and makes them a worthy dice to have to help you refine your pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.