Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
just wondering becuase i saw this word a lot. thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nate, I now accurately guess which threads are yours before I even pan my eyes to the right.

Not a good sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Propo Pod wrote:
Nate, I now accurately guess which threads are yours before I even pan my eyes to the right.

Not a good sign.

what you want me to say?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
nothing.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?title=&designerid=&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Propo Pod wrote:

ah.....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freezing chicken wrote:
just wondering becuase i saw this word a lot. thanks!

Abstract means "without a theme", but like the term "boardgames" which includes many games that do not have a board, the term has a more specific meaning. A strict deinition of an abstract game (particularly among fans of "abstract games") is a perfect information game with minimal theme (or none at all).

Perfect information means no random or hidden elements during play. No dice. no tile draws, no cards, etc. except possible after an initial set up. All players have perfect information about the "game state", they can in theory know every option possible for all players throughout the game, not only what moves they can do, but possible their opponents have in response, how they can respond to their opponent's response, etc.

Prototypical abstract games are games like Go, Hex, Checkers/Draughts, the Gipf Series, Chinese Checkers/Halma, Twixt, Pente, Othello/Reversi, Connect 4, Blokus, etc.

Chess is an abstract game with minimal theme. Although it has a theme of ancient warfare, the pieces do not simulate ancient soldiery. Games like Through the Desert, Cathedral, Pueblo, etc. also are similar.

Think of a board (usually with a regular square or hex grid) and pieces. And that's it.

Games with random elements even though may have no theme: Backgammon, dominoes, Ingenious, Take it Easy, etc. are definitely a gray area. Some purists will say they are not, but they are often referred to as abstracts.

However, card games which use traditional decks are NEVER referred to as abstract games, even though they are always just as themeless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Propo Pod wrote:

Not a good sign.

God forbid that a 13 year old kid asks questions in a language that's not even his own without being criticized for it. The lack of tolerance on this site is starting to grow. THAT'S not a good sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
thanks Richard for refering to my question and answering so fully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard has it nailed. In addition many games with some degree of theme are labelled 'abstract' or 'themeless', usually by critics. Tigris and Euphrat is a good example...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what some of them look like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hidalgo wrote:
Propo Pod wrote:

Not a good sign.

God forbid that a 13 year old kid asks questions in a language that's not even his own without being criticized for it. The lack of tolerance on this site is starting to grow. THAT'S not a good sign.

Easy tiger. I meant I spend too much time here. Didn't have a lot of time to respond and elucidate after that, for which I am sorry and at least posted a link, but geez, please step outta my throat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some discussion of what games are abstract strategy and what aren't in these recent geek lists (be sure to read the comments):

Abstract Strategy - Where do you draw the line?:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

and Joey's Top Ten Abstract Strategy Games:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, Brian, I too read your post as an attack on Nate...I guess its all a question of tone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Understood Philip. Looking back, there is an intimation in my response that there is something... memorable... about Nate's posts that make them so easily identified. And perhaps I must admit what is making them memorable in my head isn't exactly memorable in the "can't wait to read the newest insight" way of some threads and lists by fellow geeks like yourself.

cool

So in way, I am guilty as charged. Please, all, aim for the head and make it quick.

But the "not a good sign" remark... that was for me, not Nate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
My first reaction to Brian's reply was also negative. Folks tend to assume the worst when it comes to reading forum replies. For the most part, their suspicions are normally well-warranted. It seems like the easy anonymity provided by a screen name and the lack of non-verbal communication cues make flame wars downright ubiquitous these days. When one can hide behind a name like "Bearcat89" and nobody knows exactly where you live, you may become emboldened to act in a non-typical and abusive fashion. Therefore, thin skins develop because you become used to seeing caustic replies. I don't know that the "good old days" of the BBS were any more civil, but it sure seems that way.

BTW, I spend way too much time here, as well. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
thanks for everyone that answered my question and for everyone that gave me comments. i know i'm not ok when i don't read my posts again before i post i just get lazy. blush i'll work on it now.

thanks all,
nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
(sigh, I can't keep out of these discussions)

Now grammer and things like that have an area of dificulty to them
when you are not using your native language. And that litle flag up
by the corner on Nates post isn't from an English speaking country now
is it? (And note, neither is mine) I do see that people might feel
a bit let down by bad English but take in mind this site is international
so you are going to get bad English, whilest I think most of us would
be happy for constructive replies about how to correct and get better we
or at least I want it to be constructive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
(sigh, I can't keep out of these discussions)

Now grammer and things like that have an area of dificulty to them
when you are not using your native language. And that litle flag up
by the corner on Nates post isn't from an English speaking country now
is it? (And note, neither is mine) I do see that people might feel
a bit let down by bad English but take in mind this site is international
so you are going to get bad English, whilest I think most of us would
be happy for constructive replies about how to correct and get better we
or at least I want it to be constructive.

Amen, to that brother! Nate's use of English far surpasses anything I might try to write in Hebrew. Same goes for Victor and Swedish. I know very little about Sweden beyond meatballs and Blindside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.