Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Campbell
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

It's been mentioned that adding crew/equipment of one faction to an individual ship of a different faction will cost extra points, which certainly makes sense. Has there been any talk on if it's acceptable to have a player mix different faction ships in his fleet? Like teaming up the Enterprise with a Bird of Prey?

I know, I know, thematically it doesn't make much sense, but my concern is the possible number of combinations. We're only going to buy a few expansions to start with and would like variety, but my concern is having enough options.

If it's forbidden to mix and match within a fleet, I'm much more hesitant to buy into the expansions. Having to drop ~$45 just on 3 Dominion expansions to have enough ships to field a proper Dominion fleet is quite the roadblock. Now if I can grab the Cardassian ship and have it team up with a Romulan or Federation, then I'm all in!

-Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody can forbid you to do anything at your gaming table with your friends... Maybe if you're looking at official WizKids sponsored tournaments, then it would matter... (I don't know the answer to your question, but I suspect it's perfectly legal).

Besides, how is it not thematic? Alliances are forged and broken all the time. I recall the Feds/Klinks/and Rommies all fighting side-by-side against the Dominion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like this mix and match, how could you justify a dominion/star fleet army? And balance wise, it could be a nightmare with so many possibilities. To me this game have to be separated factions, it's enough to mix cards, but ships too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mailok wrote:
I don't like this mix and match, how could you justify a dominion/star fleet army? And balance wise, it could be a nightmare with so many possibilities. To me this game have to be separated factions, it's enough to mix cards, but ships too...

Voyager once formed an aliance with the Borg. It happens.

Ships have a point value associated with them... That's how you balance the game. That's how you balance all miniature games... I don't see why it would matter.

Thematically you can pair Dominion with Romulans or Cardassians and still fit the story. You could pair Ferengi with just about anybody. You could also imagine that your own story line in a timeline after Voyager and the Dominion Wars. How hard is it to believe that the Federation would eventually become allies with the Dominion? They allied with the Klingons, and then warred with the Klingons and then allied with them again...

How hard could it be to come up with that story?

Starfleet introduces a cure to the Gem'Hdar to relieve them of their addiction to White. The Gem'Hdar in appreciation of their newfound freedom join forces with the Federation... (creating a morally hamfisted three season story arc about cultural differences -- re: Worf, re: 7 of 9). Meanwhile the Romulans, who were more afraid of a free-willed Gem'Hdar than one subservient to the Founders, begin a new alliance to stand against what they feel is a threat to the Alpha Quadrant. Now the diplomatic Federation must do whatever it takes to defend their fledgling relationship with the Dominion... There you go, Dominion + Fed against the world. You now have a morally ambiguous situation. Classic Trek.

Or even simpler. The Federation salvaged a Doninion ship and commissioned it. It's helmed by Picard himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Release: February 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no penalty for fielding ships of different Factions in the base game. Some Missions might require particular ships and/or Factions, of course.

Thanks,

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:

Ships have a point value associated with them... That's how you balance the game. That's how you balance all miniature games... I don't see why it would matter.

Probably you don't have much experience with miniature games, but many of them have different factions with different strenghts and weakness, if you can mix them you cover weakness with strengths and could unbalance everything or let people do the same army. Different factions and keep them separate is a backbone of every wargames, point values aren't enough to cover it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Campbell
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
There is no penalty for fielding ships of different Factions in the base game. Some Missions might require particular ships and/or Factions, of course.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mailok wrote:
tofarley wrote:

Probably you don't have much experience with miniature games, but many of them have different factions with different strenghts and weakness, if you can mix them you cover weakness with strengths and could unbalance everything or let people do the same army. Different factions and keep them separate is a backbone of every wargames, point values aren't enough to cover it.

Admittedly I'm no expert in miniatures games, but I've played my share. You speak of "faction" abilities, which I'm not sure exist in this game (Ship abilities, perhaps). While it's true that many of the more popular miniatures games share this (Warhammer/Hordes, perhaps?) I'm sure there are just as many (if not more) that have no such stipulation.

Unless the concern revolves around official WizKids sanctioned tournaments, I just don't see why there's any cause for concern one way or the other. If you don't like mixing factions, don't. If you like to do it, then in the words of a very wise man, "Make it so."

The Star Trek Universe isn't like Star Wars. There aren't clear lines of allegiances that are never crossed. You can probably find an episode or movie of the franchise in which any two teams have teamed up against any other group for the course of a specific battle... Not that I care how WizKids rules, one way or the other, but I'll be mixing and matching to suit the whims of whatever scenario my friends concoct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Release: February 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
As a follow-up, I wanted to mention that although you can mix and match most Upgrades from different Factions to your heart's content, some Factions are indeed better at certain things than others, and some particularly powerful Upgrades are only available on certain Faction ships, and sometimes only on a specific type of ship. For example, there are some really experimental Romulan Tech Upgrades that can only be placed on a Romulan Science Vessel (or which add +5 to their Squadron Cost on a ship other than a Romulan Science Vessel).

Sometimes a particular Upgrade is only available to subsets of the same Faction. For example, there are many Jem'hadar Upgrades that can't go on non-Jem'hadar ships, even if those ships are part of the Dominion Faction.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
mbmbmbmbmb
Mailok wrote:
I don't like this mix and match, how could you justify a dominion/star fleet army?

Actually, Sisko and his crew did team up with a Dominion strike team to take out a group of renegade Jem'Hadar once, in canon. There's just a ton of possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.