GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,933 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: The game with no expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this is a question more for fans of Xwing, but by now I'm sure plenty have played this as well. I'm thinking hard about picking up a base copy of the game, but I will NEVER buy any expansions. Just not going down that rabbit hole.

So, do you think the game has any sort of legs with only 3 ships? Bear in mind, I'll only ever be playing 2p as well.

Thanks for any advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having played this yet, but watching the videos and playing X-Wing, I suspect this will play better than with only the base game than the Star Wars version.
X-Wing is about dogfights, WWII engagements of several fighters, quick moving, maneuverable.
Attack Wing, would be more like naval engagements with capital ships. More suited to one on one battles.
Again, that is just my initial thoughts. I might change my mind once I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
The first several weeks of playtesting, we only used the starter set ships to make sure the system worked consistently. We had a blast both with two and three players in that environment.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn you Parks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to watching you run through this one, Richard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I gather here there's more to each individual ship than in X-Wing, which encourages fleet/formation building. So you'd need the expansions only if you wanted to play with those individual ships.

I think I read somewhere that the game forbids multiple starships, or in the least discourages them, but either Andrew would have to confirm or we'd have to have the game in our hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack Wing encourages play with either a few ships or with a lot of ships. We have certainly had many a match-up with 150 point fleets on each side, and it has been pulse-pounding.

The point I was making is that you can play with just the starter and have fun. However, the options for what you can create (a few loaded ships, lots of unloaded ships, etc.) increase exponentially once you start adding the expansions.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like any game, the boredom will soon set in using the same ship time after time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game will be more open ended that SWM, as in SW you really only have 2 sides, Imperial and Rebel. Here there are numerouf factions (Fed, Rom, Kling, Card, Dom, Bajorian, Maquis, Bree Orions, even minor factions), plus each faction has numerous ship type. Then you still get to change up via using named vs generic ships, captains, crew, additional weapons and systems, etc.

Using all those combos will take a while for each mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Dudley
United States
Westbrook
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why anyone would want to view this as a game to be played with a minimal number of ships. Some, dare I say all, of the greatest naval battles in history have been large fleet affairs. Salamis, between Greece and Persia, has estimates over 1,000 ships. At Trafalgar the English had 33 and the French and Spanish had 41 between them. Leyte Gulf saw 200+ ships from the U.S. and Australia and 68+ from Japan.

All I can say is bring on the expansions!

And a big thanks to Andrew Parks for taking the time to comment on these threads. Nothing better than getting it from the horse's mouth. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serenjyn wrote:
I'm not sure why anyone would want to view this as a game to be played with a minimal number of ships.

Sheer cost. Quite a lot of folk (myself included) bought into SW big time. Had I known about STAW prior, I would have passed on SW and saved up for STAW. Plus, STAW will (if possible) be a bigger money sink than SW, as many (me again) will want multiple of all ships, and STAW is MUCH more open ended on that aspect.

Serenjyn wrote:
And a big thanks to Andrew Parks for taking the time to comment on these threads. Nothing better than getting it from the horse's mouth. :-)

Yep, but each comment just makes me want more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Dudley
United States
Westbrook
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, I will confess that 18 years after my divorce and having never settled down with anyone else I'm pretty much free to spend foolish amounts of money on my hobby. I sometimes forget that's not the case for everyone. Then, again, I'd love to have back the over $400 I spent on Heroclix figures. I was caught up in a madness of collecting that wasn't justified by my interest in the game. Now I have 11 Plano boxes full of the darn things. It's worse than a tribble infestation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serenjyn wrote:
Ah yes, I will confess that 18 years after my divorce and having never settled down with anyone else I'm pretty much free to spend foolish amounts of money on my hobby. I sometimes forget that's not the case for everyone. Then, again, I'd love to have back the over $400 I spent on Heroclix figures. I was caught up in a madness of collecting that wasn't justified by my interest in the game. Now I have 11 Plano boxes full of the darn things. It's worse than a tribble infestation.

I also dumped a lot into ST: Tactics, which, while sating my ST urge had a terrible rules system. Fortunately I was able to recoup all my money by reselling the collection on Ebay.

Once STAW comes out, I plan to sell my SW minis and turn that around into STAW. I don't have enough free time for both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Sanders
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Question, what will be the point limit for tourney rules from a fleet building point of view.

Also, will there be a dice pack sold separately for those who do not want to buy a second starter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth7 wrote:

I also dumped a lot into ST: Tactics, which, while sating my ST urge had a terrible rules system. Fortunately I was able to recoup all my money by reselling the collection on Ebay.

I also have sunk a lot of money into ST:Tactics, but one thing I don't understand about your reaction is that you are assuming they will produce an official ST:AW expansion for every ship that was in the ST:Tactics sets?

I feel like that if this game is good, it will be pretty easy for the community to come up with unofficial stats for some of the ships from ST:Tactics that may not merit an offical expansion in ST: AW...

Also, for the ships that are in expansions, to avoid having to buy multiples, you could just buy one and then photocopy the base stats for multiple copies using the ST:Tactics ships.

Perhaps because I am thinking just in terms of family gaming (instead of organized play), I will want to be as frugal as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't assume that there would be an expansion for each ship. To me, the aethsetics of the game are important, and having Tactics bases out there alongside the clear STAW bases, added to that that there is no way to attach the cardboard ship id card, etc, all makes for a poor visual board. Plus, I have no desire to create my own stats for any ships they do not release.

I'll just go with whatever is released.Even the first run, 11 ships, will be plenty to last quite a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth7 wrote:
I didn't assume that there would be an expansion for each ship. To me, the aethsetics of the game are important, and having Tactics bases out there alongside the clear STAW bases, added to that that there is no way to attach the cardboard ship id card, etc, all makes for a poor visual board.

I'm assuming Litko will solve the base issue.... Ships should be easy to remove from HC bases.

http://www.litko.net/products/Space-Fighter%2C-Deluxe-Flight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly. But it will run you another $4/$5 per base. Me, l'd just prefer to buy another actual ship, for the cards and dial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Sanders
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I posted this in another thread but maybe should post here instead:

So is having two of the same ship not allowed in fleet building? Did this ever get answered by Andrew and company? So running two galaxy class ships with two different captains is forbidden? Confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could run two generic Galaxy class together, but not two Enterprises. I would expect that tourney rules allow for any ONE of each named ship, captain, crew, etc, the generic items are allowed multiple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.