Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

To date, there is little BGG member guidance on this Murder Mystery game. As games for dinner guests are risky if you're unsure of their suitability and calibre (the game, I mean, rather than the guests), I thought I would post a few comments based on some that I had posted elsewhere after we hosted a game, in case they are useful for prospective hosts.

In my view, this product is a good way of starting off on murder mystery dinner evenings if you haven't done so before. It is designed for 6-8 participants, but it is generally thought - and I agree - that 6 is best (the 2 extra characters are superfluous and feel like 'extras').

It was fun dressing up for the characters - and you can choose to do this fairly minimally or 'going the whole way'.

The game itself was relatively straightforward in sequence and there was a lot of direction for those playing, but: (1) consequently some commentators think this game is a bit too 'scripted' (but as newbies we were fine with that), and (2) even so, there were still places where it was not clear to us what to do or when, or where we had insufficient factual background.

It should also be noted that the nature of this type of game is such that it's only repeatable with a different group of friends if you don't mind that you (at least) already know the solution.

Personally, I don't recommend the ornate suggested menu - or any ornate menu, frankly: I would say just have some simple things ready prepared so that the hosts can concentrate on and enjoy the experience, rather than having to jump up and leave the group all the time to attend to cooking, extensive serving and so on.

Overall, we had a fun time and found it very worthwhile. You need to be willing to 'go with the flow' on occasions of minor uncertainty (as our guests were), and if so - recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had this sitting on the shelf for years now and have yet to play it. Thanks for all the advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hopeful that some day, we'll get back to the dozens of unplayed murder mystery party games on the shelf. We haven't played this one, but I'm in the camp that enjoys the ornate dinner party atmosphere.

Many of our guests have not experienced the game before, but enjoy a good meal. And it's not that tough to say, "now while you digest that last round, I'm going to take something out of the oven for our second course."

Of course, we've played with pizza, breakfast, and even no meal before and they're all fine (well, I didn't enjoy one of the three 'no meal' ones very much).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.