Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Maisey
England
Wells
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I pull out scrabble from time to time but have recently become 'fed up' with the way the tiles come out. One game she had all the biggies and the next, me. We won those games pretty easily.
Has anybody tried puuting the tiles into even sets at the start of the game from which each individual player would draw? Still random to an extent but you at least know you're going to get tiles with reasonable points. We are going to try it, I just wondered if others had any thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one flaw with the idea of marking the 1-pt tiles is that most combinations that consists only of 1-pt letters can be made into a 7-letter word for the 50-point bonus.

Divvying up the letters between the players also assumes that both players use the same number of letters in a game. Probably the best way would be for one player to divvy the letters into three piles. Let the opponent pick one set, the divvyer 2nd pick, and the third set goes into the normal draw bag for when the first sets end.

I must say, however, that drawing high-point letters isn't neccessarily an advantage--J and Q are both relatively hard to play for muchos points. X, however, is gold. If you play a relatively defensive game, trying to find somewhere to put those two letters can be quite difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Maisey
England
Wells
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We are usually able to play the High pointers quite well to score valuable points (qi as a two letter word)...yes it varies, but if you are getting them all then it is an advantage just to put it down on a normal space.

I think the idea of splitting the 1 pointers off from the rest of the pack is a good starting point, maybe when you draw you have to take alternately from the 1 pointers and then the higher group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qi isn't a kosher word according to the Scrabble folks (at least, not in Canada), as it's not a word in the English language. This makes Q somewhat harder to get rid of.

There's also no 2-letter Z words, and one 2-letter J-word (Jo). The reason X is so good is that there's 5 2-letter X words (Ax, Ex, Xi, Ox, Xu).

There's lots of wacky words in the Scrabble word list, but qi ain't one of them. Go figure.

----
Edited for clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Actually, QI and ZA are now in the OSPD. They appear in the Official Scrabble Players' Dictionary 4th edition, now available at a Canadian bookseller near you.

Apparently they're not yet formally recognized by tournament Scrabble players until the next edition of the Official Word List is official, which happens on March 1, 2006. So yes, QI isn't tournament-legal right now. It will be within two weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how I feel about splitting the tiles.

Part of the game is playing longer words so that you see more tiles, and therefore get a better shot at getting the 'good' ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Maisey
England
Wells
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All good points being made.
According to our rule book Qi is a word, as is ZO; ZA is not in the list.
I realise these things are ever changing but although I'm a geek, I'm not that much of one to keep up with the ebb and flow of the scrabble world!

I accept the point about playing longer words to cycle the tiles but as it doesn't always happen it has led me to consider alternatives; we play a lot of games and so when Scrabble does come out we need to feel it slightly more balanced as a contest to make it worthwhile or it will be stuck on the shelf (there are still the elements of word creation that we both enjoy so would make this a shame).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pfeffer
United States
Bellefonte
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something you could try is randomly setting all the tiles into one string, face-up. Flip to see who goes first and that person takes seven tiles from either end of the string. You may not skip over letters. The other person does the same. You know what each of you have and you know what your choices are before drawing again.

It adds some interesting strategy. For instance, do I take the Q to keep you from getting it even though I have no Us right now and you're likely to get the next one? Or do I pass and, knowing what each of us have, try to block you from using it?

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.