Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Hart
England
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just attempted my first real game of this. I'm a veteran of POG and love that game dearly and so a GMT C.D.G of the pacific campaign got me very excited

But what.the.hell is going on with this game? The rules are just a jumble and I could not make any headway. They suggest you "play through" the example but I just felt like I was watching the game play itself.

Does anyone out there have any simple advice to help me get some kind of foothold on this game?

thanks

Rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The example of play had some errors in it that have thrown others off. The latest living rules have the corrections.

YMMV, but we found the game to be easier to play than the rules indicated.

Best advice on how to play would be to play against someone who knows the game and is using the latest rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb

Empire of the Sun is NOTHING like Paths of Glory or Barbarossa to Berlin. If you approach the rules with this understanding, you will find it easier going. To get started, I suggest you download the latest rules (v. 1.4).

There's a lot of important little details in EoTS so learning on your own can take a bit of practice. Key rules to help give you a "foothold" is the section dealing with the Offensives Phase (4.2). This is where the cards are played. Then Sections 5-8 pretty much give you the heart of what takes place during the Offensives Phase. I think if you start here you can get a grip of how the game works. Then, turning to the comprehensive example will make more sense.

Here is the link to GMT's Living Rules page where you can find the v. 1.4 rules: http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/living_rules.html

Once you get playing, its not so complex, and you won't find yourself haveing to constantly look things up.

Hope this helps! PS, for online play, see the Vassal module for EoTS at:

http://vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassa...

or ACTS module at: http://acts.warhorsesim.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a hard time learning Mark Herman games correctly. I see two reasons for it:

1. Herman is innovative. He introduces new concepts and mechanics in pretty much all of his designs.

2. Herman uses abstraction heavily. Sure, all wargames do, but most wargame abstractions, like zones of control and the odds-based CRT, are well known. Combine #2 with #1 and you have abstractions you've never seen before, and few of them are explained in the designer's notes.

I can understand a system much better if I know how it simulates reality. I had a hard time figuring out just what many of EotS's abstractions simulate. In his demo at WBC 2005 Mark did an excellent job of explaining what the systems simulated...

...Along with some sneaky game tricks. I won't call them "gamey" tricks because they were defensibly historical, if abstract. None of them had occurred to me in my brief experience of the game, and I like to think that I pick up games quickly. In particular, some very bad things can happen when you leave a hole in your air perimeter. But anyway.

One last tip for learning a Mark Herman game: The rules mean exactly what they say; no less and no more. Do no read more into them than there is. I thought I was "filling in holes" (first with We the People) and I was wrong every time.

In spite of everything I just said, I love Mark Herman's games and I found learning them to be well worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj L.
Spain
Sevilla
Andalucia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paths of Glory is like chess game, Empire of the Sun is like poker . You have to love poker and be prepeared that Your great offensive will turn into great dissaster, just because opponent had great reaction card. This game is not for hardcore-veterans of Paths of Gloru gulp

Mark Herman is making best CDGames !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain on this one.
Got EOTS last June after owning and playing Paths of Glory for about 6 months. Had no one to play EOTS with so started to learn the rules on my own. Stopped about a third of the way into the rules.

Purchased Barbarossa to Berlin, found the system almost identical to Paths of Glory, got right into it and enjoyed that one.

Tried again with EOTS in the fall after downloading the living rules. Got half way through the rules. Stopped again.

Determined this month (March) to get through the rules and play. Finally started a game today, and after six hours am just starting Turn 4. It's starting to make sense, but forget attempting any strategic maneuvering at this point. I plan to go through the rules again after I finish the game sometime in the next several days to see what I missed and see if more light bulbs turn on.

I really hope to get the hang of this one, if only to make my time investment worth it. My money investment has already paid off as I've spent countless hours with this game, which I got for $40 on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so reviewing my now-completed first game, I caught several misplays, such as:

Forgetting about using China replacements for Japanese ground units until Turn 8;

The intrinsic defense units in China and Japan. Fought 2 battles before remembering this one.

Kept forgetting to track the amphibious shipping points.

For what it was worth, the Allies won after strategically bombing Japan for 4 consecutive turns, and reducing Japan to one resource hex. The U.S. even managed a successful amphibious assault on Tokyo.

I need to play the game again quite soon (after reading the rules once again) to begin to feel like I have it all figured out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.