Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After several games of normal Catan, this was my first attempt at Cities and Knights, and with five players, at that. I had a fairly slow start, especially where city development was concerned, although I managed to churn out settlements reasonably quickly. One player, Ian, had managed to get himself a city on a 6 brick space and the brick port, and a city on a 6 on wood, so rapidly acquired the aqueduct, and drew ahead. He managed to hit 12 points before a concerted effort of one player to seize longest road, along with a barrage of attacks from progress cards and losing a city to the barbarians knocked him back down to nine. I failed to appreciate at the start of the game how important metropolises were, so got rather stuck on nine points, with longest road and all 3 metropolises hard to get, but a couple of lucky rolls made me decide to try and hit the Great Exchange first. I nearly made 9 cloth in one turn to go from level 3 to 5, but fell one short, so had to wait an agonising round during which two other players could have one before completing the build, and also using a spy card to steal a merchant, the extra VP being just enough for the win. The game finished very close - scores of 13, 12, 11, 11, 10, and lasted for three and a half hours, although it could have ended in half the time had Ian had a little more luck on 12VPs.

I enjoyed the extra possibilities in Cities and Knights - I felt it added a lot more strategy, but with the disadvantage that the game was beginning to drag by the end - players were getting so many cards and so many options that each turn dragged on, and not being able to trade except on your own turn meant that there were a couple of occasions where I got a lot of cards, but couldn't get rid of them before the robber struck. I wouldn't play C&K over normal settlers all the time, but will definitely play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.