Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
So in a 1 or 2p game, the rules don't really go into any detail about the support car. Our assumption is that during each player's move phase, they can move themselves 0-3 spaces, and they can move the support car 0-3 spaces, and then go on to doing actions. You can't move the support car after an action is done, because the movement phase is over?

Also, each player gets to move the car every turn, making two players significantly more powerful than 3 players, it seems? Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:

Our assumption is that during each player's move phase, they can move themselves 0-3 spaces, and they can move the support car 0-3 spaces, and then go on to doing actions. You can't move the support car after an action is done, because the movement phase is over?

I would agree, except that (if that was your implication) I don't think it matters whether a player moves the support car before or after his own vehicle.

rahdo wrote:

Also, each player gets to move the car every turn, making two players significantly more powerful than 3 players, it seems? Correct?

More or less. You have the same number of player-turns to catch the murderer, but in the 2-player game there's more of a chance of having a second player to complete tasks like the stolen car or the gas leak, and you're more likely to succeed any given emergency. But bear in mind that you also start with 4 police cards instead of 9, and have fewer thugs available to you throughout the game, it's not all good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
rahdo wrote:

Our assumption is that during each player's move phase, they can move themselves 0-3 spaces, and they can move the support car 0-3 spaces, and then go on to doing actions. You can't move the support car after an action is done, because the movement phase is over?

I would agree, except that (if that was your implication) I don't think it matters whether a player moves the support car before or after his own vehicle.

Nope no different there. I was talking more about moving the support vehicle after the action. For example:

Vehicle & Jen start her turn next to morgue. Jen skips movement and goes directly to investigating, using support car's help. Afterwards, before she draws end of turn cards, she moves the support car half way across the map.

My turn, first thing I do is move the support car the rest of the way across the map to where I need it, use it for help, and continue.

Being able to do that makes it even more overpowered. On Jen's turn, since she skipped movement, she skipped the opportunity for me to use the car on the other side of the map on my turn as well.

At least, that's my assumption. The rules don't specify.

Quote:
rahdo wrote:

More or less. You have the same number of player-turns to catch the murderer, but in the 2-player game there's more of a chance of having a second player to complete tasks like the stolen car or the gas leak, and you're more likely to succeed any given emergency. But bear in mind that you also start with 4 police cards instead of 9, and have fewer thugs available to you throughout the game, it's not all good.

Yeah, but otoh you've got a 3rd character who gets to move freely without ever creating an event... in effect you've got a permanent +1 on just about every action you can do, and a very easy means of controlling 'rolling events' as well.

We just finished our first 2p game, and it was insanely easy. All 3 cars were camped at the spawn point of the murderer waiting for him to appear, with the city crime meter only half full, and thugs very much under control. We thought it was a neat game, but that 3rd car made everything so easy to complete we thought maybe there was something we were missing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sais
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that the support vehicle moves only durning the movement phase. Before or after player movement is irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys!

Thanks for a great question Richard!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

It certainly is the intent of the designer and the publisher that all of the movement occur during the movement phase of the turn.

Sorry if the rules left any doubt about this.

Thanks to your in-put on this matter today, I have tweaked the Revised Rule-book as follows...

"The Support Vehicle is only used in 1 or 2 person games. Place a Support Vehicle on the board at the start of the game at the police station in the marked-mode (thus it is able to move 3 spaces). The Support Vehicle is an un-named extra car placed into the game, which does NOT have a character associated with it, nor can it earn Donuts, Police Cards or receive Upgrades, BUT it can be moved during each player's movement phase of their turn (in addition to their own vehicle) to offer back-up assistance."

Now, having said that...

I have to admit that you got my wheels turning a bit in terms of what a Support Vehicle might be able to do if you did the movement at some other time during the turn.

So what is the result of those wheels turning?

No, not a head-ache!

I decided to add a little power to the cops in Super-Cops (which is an expansion we have in development right now), by adding this to the rules...

"Furthermore, in a game where Support Vehicles are in-play, Super-Cops can move the support vehicle at ANY time during their turn (during any phase of their turn)."

That quote comes from the "Double-Impulse" section.

Here is the thread where all this is going on...

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12158489#12158489

(in case you want to try your luck with being "A Super-Cop!")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.