Warrior Knights» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reinforcing Besieged Forces! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I just read this in the errata..

Q: Is it possible for a besieged Baron to send reinforcements with a Versatile Strategy (or Mobilize Forces) action, without engaging combat?
A: Yes. Keep in mind that Nobles that are in an area with a city their Baron controls are always considered to be defending the city. Therefore, a player could move into one of his besieged cities with a Noble, but would not be able to move out until the siege is lifted.

Surely this cannot be correct? In all my years of gaming I have never heard of a game that says it is perfectly legal for units to move into a besieged location. It does not make any logical sense. The whole point of a siege is to prevent outside aid getting into the place under siege. If this were not so it would literally last for ever, as you could move food and water in.

Having said that, the question does seem to talk about the besieged Baron sending reinforcements, not themselves being reinforced, but the answer does not make any sense.

Can anyone explain what this is all about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't disagree with your assessment, and to be honest I can't think of many times that this has happened in a game. Normally, you would send a noble to a besieged city to attack the aggressor and lift the siege. I can see that perhaps you might move them there and be waiting for another noble to join them later in that game round? In which case the noble at the location is considered besieged and therefore cannot accept troops from a mercenary draft in the meantime?

To be honest I think this ruling is to keep things simple and consistent although if you prefer, you can consider that the army is camped outside the siege waiting to strike. After all, if the defending noble tries to break the siege they get no support from the city defenses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
JK777 wrote:
I don't disagree with your assessment, and to be honest I can't think of many times that this has happened in a game. Normally, you would send a noble to a besieged city to attack the aggressor and lift the siege. I can see that perhaps you might move them there and be waiting for another noble to join them later in that game round? In which case the noble at the location is considered besieged and therefore cannot accept troops from a mercenary draft in the meantime?

To be honest I think this ruling is to keep things simple and consistent although if you prefer, you can consider that the army is camped outside the siege waiting to strike. After all, if the defending noble tries to break the siege they get no support from the city defenses.

I can't see how you could disagree with my assessment other than just arguing that it makes things easier from a gameplay point of view. You would not be able to sneak an army into a besieged city under the noses of the besiegers.

I will have to figure out the best way to play this but will probably mark the Noble moving into the area in some way as being separate and outside of the city. No transfers of forces between Nobles; field battle if the besieging side wants to attack this new Noble outside the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.