Popular Tags: solo2013 [+] [View All]
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
Yeah, saw that. It's on my short list. Which is a very long list.

I know that problem all to well , but Infection is more or less at the top of my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
chansen2794 wrote:
You may be interested to know that one of the games from the 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest has recently been published.

Going Viral by John Gibson has been published by Victory Point Games as Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp. I've had the opportunity to play it several times and it is a terrific game. It has come a long way from the original game that was entered but it still has the same theme and very similar game play.

Congratulations John!

I have one of those lists too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
pusherman42 wrote:
chansen2794 wrote:
You may be interested to know that one of the games from the 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest has recently been published.

Going Viral by John Gibson has been published by Victory Point Games as Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp. I've had the opportunity to play it several times and it is a terrific game. It has come a long way from the original game that was entered but it still has the same theme and very similar game play.

Congratulations John!

I have one of those lists too!
It's the nature of the beast that we call a hobby. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:

Congratulations John!

Edit:
John Gibson clarified to me that Going Viral was developed as a PNP version of Infection. Infection had already been designed and submitted to VPG. Going Viral was meant to be a striped down version with no components required. Sorry for the confusion on my original post.

Um, having been an official playtester for Infection, I think you should know that they are NOT the same game. About the only thing that they share in common is the theme. Infection is a very good and rewarding game. Going Viral was fun up until the point that it was broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
chansen2794 wrote:

Congratulations John!

Edit:
John Gibson clarified to me that Going Viral was developed as a PNP version of Infection. Infection had already been designed and submitted to VPG. Going Viral was meant to be a striped down version with no components required. Sorry for the confusion on my original post.

Um, having been an official playtester for Infection, I think you should know that they are NOT the same game. About the only thing that they share in common is the theme. Infection is a very good and rewarding game. Going Viral was fun up until the point that it was broken.
When I was playtesting Infection, I never thought about Going Viral. To be honest, I had forgotten all about Going Viral until stumbling across the entry thread earlier yesterday. I haven't played it in a year and don't remember much about it. When I saw the thread, I made an incorrect assumption that Infection had evolved from it based on the similar theme and loosely similar mechanics. I shouldn't have jumped to that conclusion. Sorry for any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule Updates

I've had a couple of questions about the rules pertaining to dates so I've added a section to the rules to help clarify. No actual rules have changed, I've just added text to clarify.

Explanation of Contest Dates wrote:
Explanation of Contest Dates
Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available
This is the earliest date that a game can be made available online and still be eligible for the contest. Games that are going to be entered in the contest may not be made available publicly for download on BGG or other websites prior to July 1st, 2013. The purpose of this is prevent some designers from getting months or years of public feedback while others get much less. This also keeps the focus of the contest on new games rather than old designs. After July 1st, games that are going to be entered into the contest may be made available for download, feedback, and playtest.

Contest Start Date
On September 1st, 2013, the contest will official begin accepting entries. The Official Contest thread will be created by this date.

Entry Deadline
Games for the contest must be complete (Contest Ready) by October 5th, 2013. Any game that is not Contest Ready by this date will not be eligible for the contest and will be removed from the entry list.

Voting Deadline
All votes are due by the Voting Deadline. No votes will accepted after this date.
I've modified the new game requirements to reflect the changed wording above.
Game Entry Requirements wrote:
The games entered in the contest should be new. To be eligible for this contest, a game must meet the following criteria.
The game cannot have been entered in a previous contest.
The game cannot have a WIP thread/game entry on BGG prior to the Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available.
The game cannot be publicly offered for download on BGG or other websites prior to the Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available.
I have also had a few questions about using the contest rules for other contests. This has always been fine with me so to make it clear that people don't even have to ask me, I've added a Creative Commons license to the contest rules.
License for Contest Rules wrote:
License for Contest Rules
The contest rules are under an Attribution - Noncommercial Creative Commons 3.0 license. You are free to use and modify the rules for your own noncommercial contests or other projects. I would appreciate if you would attribute me as the source in these cases. This license applies only to the contest rules. It does not extend to the games entered or to the individual posts made on the contest thread.

That's all the rule updates for today. Please let me know if you have any questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
My WIP thread: [WIP] 2013 Solitaire PnP Contest: K-Day: Kaiju War!

It's a light dice game that requires:
1. A4 print out of the game sheet
2. 11 dice (6 in 1 color, 5 in another)
3. Pen/ pencil
4. 2 tokens of different colors (or cut-outs from the game rules)

It plays in about 25 mins.

Advice and comments will be much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games entered in the contest should be new. To be eligible for this contest, a game must meet the following criteria.
The game cannot have a WIP thread/game entry on BGG prior to the Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available.
The game cannot be publicly offered for download on BGG or other websites prior to the Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available.

Aww guess that means I won't be able to enter a Solitaire version of Cure me Quick! Express - even though the game was never publicly available it has had a WIP thread since June 16th.

Actually wouldn't this mean I would not be able to do Bake me Silly! either? As it had a thread last year? I only ask as you've already listed it as an entry but it contradicts the new rules wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
All right.

I'm in: The Harbinger Project

If I can finish testing this in time for the contest I can get 20! Wait...

I mentioned it there, but in case no one looks, I am looking for a graphic designer for this project, even if it's not in time for the contest. Tell your friends!

I've played this game twice and have posted my impressions on my blog. It's a fun game that's definitely worth checking out.

I've asked Chris in advance whether it was alright to post a link like this in this thread and he was OK with it. Please let me know if any of you consider it spam and self promotion - if so I'll refrain from doing the same if I cover more of the contest games on my blog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New entry thread: [not really WIP] Solo PnP 2014: Devil Dogs (paragraph-driven wargame)

... shares some basic ideas with old entry thread: WIP Solitaire PnP Contest Operational Paragraphs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelzky wrote:

Aww guess that means I won't be able to enter a Solitaire version of Cure me Quick! Express - even though the game was never publicly available it has had a WIP thread since June 16th.

Actually wouldn't this mean I would not be able to do Bake me Silly! either? As it had a thread last year? I only ask as you've already listed it as an entry but it contradicts the new rules wording.
This is a good question. I saw that Bake Me Silly was entered last year but not completed but didn't think about this rule at the time.

I've previously said that designers could talk about their designs on their blogs so long as they weren't releasing the files ahead of time. I don't see why it should be different here. Since the components for Bake Me Silly were never released last year, the game should be eligible for the contest. I may need to amend the rules for this.

There have been a ton of games I was excited about during the past two years that never got out of the idea/brainstorming stage. If designers would like to finish these entries, I'd actually love to see them get entered this year.

Does this change seem fair to everyone? The point of this rule is to to encourage new game development and prevent unfair advantage by to a game that has been getting public playtesting feedback for much longer than the other entries. I don't care how long you've had the idea for the game so long as you aren't entering a game that's been online for a year.

Proposed new rules would look more like this:
The game cannot have a game entry on BGG prior to the Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available.
The game cannot be publicly offered for download on BGG, a WIP Thread, or other websites prior to the Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available. The game may be described and discussed online so long as it is not actually available for download.
I'm not sure if I want to keep the rule about not having a Game Entry on BGG rule. For example, if the designer of Heist: The Solitaire Card Game decided to enter his game in the contest, I can't think of a reason why he shouldn't. The files have never been made available, despite the game having an entry since 2012. Is a game entry an unfair advantage? I think the main reason I created the rule is that PNP games are not supposed to have an entry on BGG prior to being complete. What say you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The changes seem fair to me, and in my opinion you could easily remove the requirement of not having a database entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm down with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
The changes seem fair to me, and in my opinion you could easily remove the requirement of not having a database entry.
Maybe I could make the change to say games should follow the BGG rule of not having a game entry until they're complete. But then again, I'm not really interested in policing BGG policy. The BGG Guide to Game Submissions for PNP games is already part of the recommended rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
Maybe I could make the change to say games should follow the BGG rule of not having a game entry until they're complete. But then again, I'm not really interested in policing BGG policy. The BGG Guide to Game Submissions for PNP games is already part of the recommended rules.

I agree that it should be enough that it's part of the recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you make a BGG entry without offering the files? If so, then you could have put it up on BGG and not yet offered files, just as a place to discuss the game. Not sure if you can, but if so, that would exclude you from the contest even though what you're getting at is making sure it's not publicly available.

So, depends on your goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
Can you make a BGG entry without offering the files? If so, then you could have put it up on BGG and not yet offered files, just as a place to discuss the game.

You could have done, but it's contrary to the BGG guidelines on when you should create a database entry for a PnP game, so you shouldn't.

The point of those guidelines, as I understand it, is to avoid the database being cluttered with entries for 'games' which were never released, which people will never get to play, and only existed as a "wouldn't it be cool if" in their would-be designer's mind. And I'm sure that people creating such entries have the best will in the world that they'll complete and release their game and it'll be awesome, but... that often doesn't happen. Sometimes the designer disappears for whatever reason, sometimes they realise that the game isn't actually so awesome as they thought it would be and lose interest, sometimes they never actually had anything more than the cool idea in the first place and they discovered that designing games is actually quite hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
pusherman42 wrote:
Can you make a BGG entry without offering the files? If so, then you could have put it up on BGG and not yet offered files, just as a place to discuss the game.

You could have done, but it's contrary to the BGG guidelines on when you should create a database entry for a PnP game, so you shouldn't.
Sadly, there are many PNP games in the database that were never released. I hope that this doesn't happen with games from this contest but I'm not going to make an unenforceable rule about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry to detract from the discussion, but here's my entry for this year's contest: you can read all about it here: DYSTOPIAN: the manhunt [2013 Solitaire PnP contest ] WIP thread [contest ready]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
Can you make a BGG entry without offering the files?

I don't see the point in making any PnP game without releasing files, especially for a contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Me neither. I was just asking if someone wanted to, could they submit their game as a BGG entry before they were ready to offer files. It could be a place to discuss the game and EVENTUALLY offer the files once they were ready to go (there are plenty of games in the database that don't exist, thanks Kickstarter).

If they did, the contest rules would mean they couldn't enter the contest if the entry happened before the date, even if the files weren't up quite yet.

It's semantics and not worth the breath I'm using!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
Me neither. I was just asking if someone wanted to, could they submit their game as a BGG entry before they were ready to offer files. It could be a place to discuss the game and EVENTUALLY offer the files once they were ready to go (there are plenty of games in the database that don't exist, thanks Kickstarter).

According to the BGG game submission guidelines, no. Can people? Yes, because such games entries do exist.

A Work-In-Progress thread is a more appropriate place to discuss the game and eventually offer files when they are ready to go.

Kickstarter games don't exist, but they are all in a strong position *to* exist (pending funding); at the very least they are (allegedly) designed and ready to go.

Quote:
If they did, the contest rules would mean they couldn't enter the contest if the entry happened before the date, even if the files weren't up quite yet.

I think that's the point. The idea is to discourage designers from ignoring the BGG submission guidelines (but as Chris also noted, it's practically unenforceable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:

It's semantics and not worth the breath I'm using!

Ahh yes, the ole semantics thing. No worries, I totally get it.

Sounds like Jesse has it down, I'm going with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per out discussion, the rules have been updated:
The game cannot be publicly offered for download on BGG, a WIP Thread, or other websites prior to the Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available. The game may be described and discussed online so long as it is not actually available for download.
This means that games that were entered in previous contests but did not have components available for download may be entered in this contest (for example, Bake Me Silly). If you started an entry thread in the 2011 or 2012 contests but did not complete the game, feel free to enter it in this contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
pusherman42 wrote:

According to the BGG game submission guidelines, no. Can people? Yes, because such games entries do exist.

A Work-In-Progress thread is a more appropriate place to discuss the game and eventually offer files when they are ready to go.

Kickstarter games don't exist, but they are all in a strong position *to* exist (pending funding); at the very least they are (allegedly) designed and ready to go.

Quote:

I think that's the point. The idea is to discourage designers from ignoring the BGG submission guidelines (but as Chris also noted, it's practically unenforceable).
I agree with everything Jessey said. I strongly encourage everyone to follow BGG's guidelines for adding PNP games to BGG. It is recommended to do so in the contest rules and that's where I'll leave it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [37] |