Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently got into Heroscape and I really want to organize my stuff for quicker set up (and overall organization).

I figure I'd put the minis in plano boxes...however I'm looking for suggestions on the size requirements. I know some of you use this set up and I'd like to use it as well but don't know where to start.

Now for the terrain...I'm not sure what I can do to make it easier; outside of having them in like plastic drawers (like in a mini tower). Anyone have any suggestions or an even better terrain organization.

Cards -- I'm debating leaving as is or just get CD covering and find a nice holder.

My collection as it stands:
1x RotV set
1x SotM set
2x Marvel sets (1-set of figures)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For ROTV I had a 12x16 box that the tiles fit in well. Was able to store 3 sets of tiles in it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get the plastic drawer towers. I have one fat one and one skinny one, there is just so much of it, this is really the only reasonable thing I can think of to do.

I bag the minis and put them in the skinny tower, terrain in the big one. i also have two more rubber maid containers with big terrain pieces, but with the amount you have I don't think you need to go that far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
I could go on for hours, but I'll be brief. I have all the stuff, including 3 of each common. Each expansion (including master sets) fit in their own big red plano box. I have a larger plastic container for all the over-sized figures that won't fit in the plano slots. I use a separate plano for all the bits, including dice, life tokens, action markers, etc. The whole collection takes (edit: 16) 19 plano boxes.

Terrain is a little more complicated. I use large plastic totes, but separate out smaller stuff (singles, water, etc.) into large zip-lock bags. Special terrain, like trees, roads, ice mountains and underground go in their own container. I also have 4 fairly large plastic containers for castle sets. Another set of four slightly larger plastic containers I use to hold the bits and instructions for some favorite boards for easier transport.

I scanned some insignia onto adhesive backed paper to label the boxes to find the stuff more easily. Retrieval is quite easy but requires lists of contents as my brain doesn't always remember which figure belongs to which set. Sorry, no photos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
I use large plastic totes, but separate out smaller stuff (singles, water, etc.) into large zip-lock bags. Special terrain, like trees, roads, ice mountains and underground go in their own container.

A must!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep my collection boxed up by terrain type and size, too. In retrospect, I wish I had just kept the terrain in separate compartments in bricks or bags of rotv, sotm, etc. Then I could look at the map requirements of something on herosacapers.com and haul out only what I'd need to build it. Or, conversely, I could build something and know exactly what I'd needed to finish construction.

In other words, keeping the sets separate could become handy for participating in the hersoscapers community.

Just food for thought. And for more information on storage solutions, head over there yourself and use the 'search' function. It's come up many times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Though if I still had intact boxes I'd just put it all back in the boxes. Unfortunately only have 2 boxes. But those at least organize well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For cards I use two small boxes that are the same size (squared) as the cards. One had jewelry in it originally, I believe...I just kind of lucked into having those odd boxes though and I'm not sure how I'd store my cards without them.

For figures I find the Master Set boxes to be the best. MOST figures will stand upright in them just fine and the boxes themselves are pretty sturdy, especially the original ROTV sets. The few larger or awkwardly tall ones that don't I put in shoe boxes or other similar containers.

For terrain I find that attempting to stack everything neatly slows down construction...because you have to break apart the stack and then build. The only terrain I stack are the large sheets...all of a kind in a big two-sheet-wide pile. Everything else gets divided by size (one, two, three hex etc) and by type (grass, rock, snow, etc) and then simply put in plastic grocery bags. I find this to be the fastest of the MANY ways I have attempted. I store the bags in boxes I got from the local liquor store and they fit nicely in my closet. A nice advantage to the bags is I can hook them on door handles or chair backs as I build, keeping the table clear to work on.

I tried plano type boxes, briefly, but found the initial investment was way too high and the advantages too few. The Master Set boxes worked so well and could be easily stacked and restacked to fit various cabinets or closets or other storage areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Landry
United States
Harvest
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walmart 3" tall stackable storage boxes (foot long) @ $4 each hold around 25 small figures. Get a foam bed topper for $10 and cut it to fit. Characters will not roll around and it's much cheaper than individual compartmentalized Plano boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Perry
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Right now you are wiser than you've ever been... and younger than you'll ever be!
mbmbmbmbmb
Big fan of this plano box... I have about 6 of them for my collection: http://www.amazon.com/Plano-23730-05-Stowaway-Adjustable-Div...

I store 30 500 pt ready to go armies in these: http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-TakeAlongs-4-Cup-Rectangle-...

I also have several boxes from the Really Useful Boxes. I favor the 17L size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldie but goodie... cloth egg cartons for holding individual figures.
You can then stack them and put them in a storage box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
Oldie but goodie... cloth egg cartons for holding individual figures.
You can then stack them and put them in a storage box.

Yeah these work great. Finding the big ones like that is a real advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.