Recommend
18 
 Thumb up
 Hide
64 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Generic games played reports are back up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At long last, I've converted the playstats compiled by game to use a more responsive implementation. It's currently limited to the top 1000 items.

Test Here
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
Beautiful!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
Is there a way to access this through the BGG interface? I mean: where do I go to access this, other than through your link?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a place for it now, but I'll try to find a way to work it into the menu.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Games for June sorted by most plays by unique users...

1249 7 Wonders
1242 King of Tokyo
1106 Love Letter
1026 Dominion
984 Terra Mystica
950 Agricola
870 Android: Netrunner
735 Carcassonne
704 Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
678 Lords of Waterdeep
634 Hanabi
627 Pandemic
605 Race for the Galaxy
604 The Castles of Burgundy
532 Seasons
522 The Resistance
520 The Settlers of Catan
517 Ticket to Ride
479 Eclipse
463 Stone Age
462 Kingdom Builder
458 Power Grid
444 Forbidden Island
421 Small World
418 Smash Up
415 Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
409 Sentinels of the Multiverse
390 Puerto Rico
380 Escape: The Curse of the Temple
375 Dixit
375 Village
363 The Resistance: Avalon
360 Innovation
356 Qwixx

Games played in 2013 sorted by most plays by distinct users:

5186 7 Wonders
4413 King of Tokyo
3894 Dominion
3398 Agricola
3386 Love Letter
3238 Carcassonne
3172 Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
3016 Pandemic
2976 Lords of Waterdeep
2797 Android: Netrunner
2560 Ticket to Ride
2537 Eclipse
2528 The Settlers of Catan
2517 The Castles of Burgundy
2503 Terra Mystica
2420 Race for the Galaxy
2416 Power Grid
2360 Small World
2321 Stone Age
2290 The Resistance
2189 Puerto Rico
2113 Escape: The Curse of the Temple
2090 Seasons
2030 Kingdom Builder
1953 Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
1937 Dixit
1814 Hanabi
1790 Citadels
1777 Village
1769 Forbidden Island
1712 Suburbia
1652 Galaxy Trucker
1650 Battlestar Galactica
1648 Ticket to Ride: Europe
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Robinson
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
... plays by unique users...

To me these are the most useful stats in this statistic heavy site. Nice to have them back.

High praise to:
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

for keeping the numbers alive during the prolonged outage.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I call shenanigans!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Robinson
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately until the powers that be limit the total plays a user can log in a single day down to single digits then the odd nutty entry makes the total plays stats rather useless.

Unique users is the useful info.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I call shenanigans!


Yeah, they were probably logging online plays.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Robinson
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
russ wrote:
I call shenanigans!


Yeah, they were probably logging online plays.

Until the powers that be add a tick box for "this play was face to face" then we are going to have to just guess to what extent the totals are being influenced by blocks of online plays. I am guessing this would be an easy feature to add and it would make me very happy if it was.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon wrote:
Unfortunately until the powers that be limit the total plays a user can log in a single day down to single digits then the odd nutty entry makes the total plays stats rather useless.

Take a look at this user. 81 face-to-face plays of a one game on a single day (and 60+ on a few more days):
HilkMAN wrote:
Hard to believe, but Love Letter (Japanese version) takes sometimes only seconds to play (especially with two players). My daughter is seriously addicted to it now - and I had to accompany her to the hospital for five days. Since that was mostly boring, we played plenty of Love Letter there, although I don't even really like it with 2.

If people are allowed to log online games, even high triple digits are possible. I know somebody who played 734 two player games of Can't Stop on BSW in one session (29 hours).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Robinson
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
If people are allowed to log online games, even high triple digits are possible. I know somebody who played 734 two player games of Can't Stop on BSW in one session (29 hours).

Oh I have a simple solution to this. Tough.

Limit the number of single plays in a day to 9 and let those who exceed this limit worry about how they get round the system. Spreading their entries over several days could be an option I guess. The interests of the majority eclipse the needs of the few.

Another simple way round is to let folk enter what the heck they like but put an upper limit (9 plays) on the info that gets passed through to the stats of the collective.

This is not one of those problems that requires a load of head scratching and hours of programing time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb

    Granted you've just gotten this back up and I'm asking for more, but I'd love to see it broken out by play length. If there was a way to look at games played that take less than an hour, an hour, two hours, etc. that would provide significant additional insight. Comparing Through the Ages plays to Dominion plays doesn't provide a fair comparison.

    As long as you're in the code I'd love to see categories too. What's the hot wargame this month?

             S.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon wrote:
Limit the number of single plays in a day to 9 and let those who exceed this limit worry about how they get round the system. Spreading their entries over several days could be an option I guess. The interests of the majority eclipse the needs of the few.

The interest of the majority is to be able to log their plays as they see it fit.

This includes being able to log the 340 plays in 6 days on the correct date (and later look back and remember "that was the time when my daughter was at the hospital").

This includes the ability to log the online plays for one month on the last day of the month (i played 34 online games of Atlantis on BSW in a january, but don't care what date it was).

The ability to use that personal record information to create statistics is only a side effect, not the point of the system.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
Gordon wrote:
This is not one of those problems that requires a load of head scratching and hours of programing time.

You're right—it just requires your own redefinition of your own interests as "the interests of the majority", as if the majority is not in fact the people who play

The Battle for Hill 218
Battle Line
Biblios
Blue Moon
Bohnanza
Can't Stop
Carcassonne
Checkers
Chess
Clans
Clubs
Crokinole
Dominion
Duell
Euchre
Fjords
Flash Duel
FlowerFall
For Sale
Glory to Rome
High Society
Hive
King of Tokyo
Love Letter
Magic
Morels
Ogre
Onirim
Oregon
Othello
Pit
PitchCar
Puzzle Strike
R
Race for the Galaxy
The Resistance
Rook
7 Wonders
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Top Race
Tumblin' Dice
Yomi
&c

shake

It's well known that there are people who play dozens of games of Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, Puzzle Strike, and Yomi each day. I have played 80+ games of RftG in a day on occasion, and I know I am at the low end.

Your then let them record their cake-eating tomorrow solution is a nonsolution.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
It's well-known that there are people who play dozens of games of Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, Puzzle Strike, and Yomi each day. I have played 80+ games of RftG in a day on occasion, and I know I am at the low end.


    I am vastly over-employed.

             S.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:
It's well-known that there are people who play dozens of games of Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, Puzzle Strike, and Yomi each day. I have played 80+ games of RftG in a day on occasion, and I know I am at the low end.


    I am vastly over-employed.

             S.


No one got to the end of their life and said "Damn, I wish I had spent more time working at the office!"

On the other hand, probably very few people get to the end of their life and say "Damn, I wish I had played more than just a few dozen games of Dominion each day"...
9 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Robinson
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to know what games are getting played face to face and how often. I don't mind what personal records people keep for online plays as long as the information can be stripped out of the collective data. If there was a simple tick box to classify a play as face to face then I'd be happy. Actually it looks to me that by doing this everyone would be happy. It is these online blocks of plays that currently spoil the statistical usefulness of the information that has been recorded by thousands of us geeks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon wrote:
I just want to know what games are getting played face to face and how often. I don't mind what personal records people keep for online plays as long as the information can be stripped out of the collective data. If there was a simple tick box to classify a play as face to face then I'd be happy. Actually it looks to me that by doing this everyone would be happy. It is these online blocks of plays that currently spoil the statistical usefulness of the information that has been recorded by thousands of us geeks.

FWIW I don't care about that and would probably not use it, since I already use the location field (with multiple locations for various online sites (e.g. KGS, littlegolem, superdupergames) and multiple locations for various physical sites (e.g. various friends' homes, restaurants, conventions, etc)), and it doesn't matter to me for collective data whether I played a game of Go on a wooden board or a virtual board.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Robinson
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Gordon wrote:
I just want to know what games are getting played face to face and how often. I don't mind what personal records people keep for online plays as long as the information can be stripped out of the collective data. If there was a simple tick box to classify a play as face to face then I'd be happy. Actually it looks to me that by doing this everyone would be happy. It is these online blocks of plays that currently spoil the statistical usefulness of the information that has been recorded by thousands of us geeks.

FWIW I don't care about that and would probably not use it, since I already use the location field (with multiple locations for various online sites (e.g. KGS, littlegolem, superdupergames) and multiple locations for various physical sites (e.g. various friends' homes, restaurants, conventions, etc)), and it doesn't matter to me for collective data whether I played a game of Go on a wooden board or a virtual board.

So is the total time spent playing Agricola going up month on month or is it just that folk are entering iOS plays. Do we collectively spend more time playing Tzolkin or Carcassonne? Which are the top 100 games that we as a collective are playing the most? I'm not the only person interested in this information and it could easily be provided with the addition of a simple tick box "was this play face to face?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
At long last, I've converted the playstats compiled by game to use a more responsive implementation. It's currently limited to the top 1000 items.

Test Here


Brilliant, thanks!!!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon wrote:
So is the total time spent playing Agricola going up month on month or is it just that folk are entering iOS plays. Do we collectively spend more time playing Tzolkin or Carcassonne? Which are the top 100 games that we as a collective are playing the most? I'm not the only person interested in this information and it could easily be provided with the addition of a simple tick box "was this play face to face?"

Why does it matter to you if someone played Agricola on a computer or on a cardboard board? Aren't they playing Agricola either way?

(In case it's not clear: that's a sincere & curious question, not a rhetorical question.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
russ wrote:

Why does it matter to you if someone played Agricola on a computer or on a cardboard board?


    It matters to me, though I don't use the stat very much. Online plays distort the hell out of the numbers. One guy punching out 120 games of Dominion on his iPhone in a day doesn't hold any credibility with me. He's an outlier. Unfortunately he's the equivalent of 40 game nights in the data.

    None of this data is particularly rigorous or credible, but with spiked data like that the graph has two bumps that are being averaged together into one number.

    I'd take more information away from a report that simply counted "1" for each user that logs at least one play in a day. That's an indication of someone coming back to a title repeatedly over a significant time period, and likely a better indication of how a typical purchaser of a physical copy should expect the game to perform.

             S.


5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Robinson
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Gordon wrote:
So is the total time spent playing Agricola going up month on month or is it just that folk are entering iOS plays. Do we collectively spend more time playing Tzolkin or Carcassonne? Which are the top 100 games that we as a collective are playing the most? I'm not the only person interested in this information and it could easily be provided with the addition of a simple tick box "was this play face to face?"

Why does it matter to you if someone played Agricola on a computer or on a cardboard board? Aren't they playing Agricola either way?

(In case it's not clear: that's a sincere & curious question, not a rhetorical question.)

It took me several years to get up to 13 face to face plays of Agricola. I have probably played 30 games on my iPad in the last couple of weeks. The investment in time is in a different league.

Personally when reading opinion on this site and when browsing stats I try to strip out and discard information provided by people who are overly influenced by the online experience and people who are overly influenced by the playing with just them and the spouse. I am interested in information provided by "club / convention" gamers because this information best matches my situation.

More than anything the spoiling of the games played stats by maybe one person in 200 entering massive blocks of hundreds of plays just plain bugs me.
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for answering!

Gordon wrote:
russ wrote:
Why does it matter to you if someone played Agricola on a computer or on a cardboard board? Aren't they playing Agricola either way?

(In case it's not clear: that's a sincere & curious question, not a rhetorical question.)

It took me several years to get up to 13 face to face plays of Agricola. I have probably played 30 games on my iPad in the last couple of weeks. The investment in time is in a different league.

OK, but why does that matter? After I've learned a complicated wargame, the later plays are much faster than the early slow learning plays; should I not log them?

And in any case, the time difference is not true for all games! E.g. I play a game of realtime Go online at KGS in a similar amount of time as I play Go face-to-face, e.g. an hour or so.

To say nothing of correspondence games, which go far SLOWER than face-to-face. Should people similarly not log (or somehow mark separately) correspondence games?

Quote:
Personally when reading opinion on this site and when browsing stats I try to strip out and discard information provided by people who are overly influenced by the online experience and people who are overly influenced by the playing with just them and the spouse. I am interested in information provided by "club / convention" gamers because this information best matches my situation.

I am still confused why you are doing that, though, or what problem you are trying to solve. Why does it matter if you play Agricola more often or less often, or faster or slower, than other people in clubs / conventions?

If your group is slow and takes 2 hours typically to play Agricola, and you can only fit one play into an evening, would you want to dismiss / ignore the logged plays of someone whose group is much faster and plays in 30 or 40 minutes (with the physical set) and logs 3 or 4 plays in an evening? I suppose not. So what's the difference when the players are faster because they play with a computer?

Is there some meta-competition I don't know about to see who can play & log the most games of Agricola?

Or are you talking about using # of logged plays to decide whether to buy a game? That seems weird; surely reviews and players' game comments are far more useful for that. At least to me: I care what a game is like, not whether lots of other people play it.

Quote:
More than anything the spoiling of the games played stats by maybe one person in 200 entering massive blocks of thousands of plays just plain bugs me.

I agree with this. The 999999 logged plays of Magic the Gathering are obvious nonsense which have nothing to do with games played in any form, whether real cards, computer bits, or chiseled stone tablets...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.