Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ritual of Annihilation - 1 Elder Sign token for each GOO you control ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Ragonnet
France
Dijon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I don't understand why the rules state that you "take 1 Elder Sign token for each Great old One you control" during the Ritual of Annihilation.

Since you can't control more than 1 GOO -unless I missed something- why this indication ? Does it simply mean that IF you control a GOO and not only have 6 spells, you take an Elder Sign ?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Li
France
flag msg tools
yellow sign has 2 GOOs : King in Yellow and Hastur ... thus 2 Elder signs per rituals if both are summoned!

maybe also with the control of "mercenary" GOO you might get new elder signs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing King in Yellow in a 5 player game with Azathoth, I suppose its possible to be able to gain 6-7 at a time, but I put this as somewhere between 'ain't gonna happen' and 'bloody unlikely'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that you can also get Neutral GOO's. So I'm assuming that doing so would mean you'd get additional Elder Signs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Hehmann
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yep, so far, you have the Yellow Sign faction, Windwalker faction and controlling neutral GOOs for gaining multiple Elder Signs during a Ritual.

Also, you don't need all six spell books to perform a Ritual, just a GOO in play. You do however have to have all six spell books to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ragonnet
France
Dijon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, I didn't think about "neutral" GOOs for example.

Thanks for your answers ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys have it right. If Yellow Sign has the King AND Hastur out, plus a pair of neutral GOOs, he gets FOUR Elder Signs upon performing a Ritual of Annihilation, which makes it worth doing even if he only has 1 (or no) Gates.

Remember that summoning most of the neutral GOOs costs around 6 Power or so, which means you are essentially giving UP a Ritual of Annihilation for the privilege of summoning him, so it's only fair he provides you with Elder Signs later on. Plus other benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick question regarding Elder Signs: how do you use them?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you get them you keep them face down until you want to use them to win the game or get the yellow sign spellbook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valandor wrote:
When you get them you keep them face down until you want to use them to win the game or get the yellow sign spellbook.

So they are used as concealed doom points? You reveal them when performing the Ritual of Anihilation?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get them by doing rituals of annihilation (among other ways), you can reveal them at any time you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be more exciting to have elder signs revealed only after the last ritual performed?

This way, no one could know who is the victor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing prevents a player from keeping his Elder Signs secret until the end. In fact, this is what most people do. Rarely, there is a purpose to unveiling one or more sooner, and we permit this. I don't suppose I see the latter happen once in 4-5 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.