Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey.

Me and my group were yesterday playing TMP for the first time. We weren't sure what to do at the beginning, but for a test run we didn't have many rules question.

Actually there is only one (and a minor one):
- is it ok to choose the Place Workers option and not place any Worker on a building and take Build Bomb Action?

We have played that it is ok (the player who took this action didn't win anyway devil) and as I read the rules now it seems very legal. But to be sure it's better to ask, isn't it? whistle

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought you HAD to do something on the main board first. Either that, or recall your workers.

If you don't want to do the free stuff like build fighters/bombers - I do believe you are allowed to place a worker in the building space and NOT build a building. The thinking being you can't hoard your workers (thereby delaying the amount of time it takes you to recall them and open things up on your board).

This is just my thoughts - I really have no "official" answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfectly legal. When you place workers, you may (but do not have to) first place a worker on one space on the main board (or 2 for Design Bomb), and then you may (but do not have to) place any number of workers on your stuff. Bomb actions are part of a place worker turn.

The only truly mandatory thing in a place worker turn is that at least one worker must be placed; if you cannot or do not wish to do this, you have to recall workers instead. Since you place workers when building a bomb, it meets this test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Perfectly legal. When you place workers, you may (but do not have to) first place a worker on one space on the main board (or 2 for Design Bomb), and then you may (but do not have to) place any number of workers on your stuff. Bomb actions are part of a place worker turn.

The only truly mandatory thing in a place worker turn is that at least one worker must be placed; if you cannot or do not wish to do this, you have to recall workers instead. Since you place workers when building a bomb, it meets this test.

I think what he's asking is, can he do the place workers action ... and then NOT place a worker on the board. Where you say what I've bolded, seems to contradict your "yes you can do that".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Step 1 (place workers on main board) and Step 2 (player board) are optional, you just have to place at least one worker. So yes, they could be on a bomb and not on buildings, you would just have to put enough workers on that bomb to build it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blaecblaed wrote:
Step 1 (place workers on main board) and Step 2 (player board) are optional, you just have to place at least one worker. So yes, they could be on a bomb and not on buildings, you would just have to put enough workers on that bomb to build it.

Gotcha - makes sense now that I read it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! So many answers ;-)

Thanks a lot all of you. I'm glad we did play according to the rules. As for hoarding - well... this player had just enough workers to build a bomb. I'm pretty sure that if he could - he would use extra worker to do some work on the main board.

:-) Anyway thanks again. I think we'll play another round (or two?) today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make sure it links back to the rules.

Page 5:

Quote:
PLACE WORKERS

If you choose to place Workers on your turn, you must follow these two steps, in order:

Step 1: You may place one Worker on the Main Board, then

Step 2: You may place Workers on any number of Buildings on your Player Board. You may repeat this step as many times as you wish, until you run out of Workers or Buildings to place them on.

Both Steps are optional, but you must place at least one Worker during your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Yong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Since both steps are optional, you can just perform step 2 instead of doing Step 1 first? Then why is the word 'then' used at the end of step 1 for? I would assume you first have to perform Step 1 (placing workers on Main board) before you could do Step 2 (place on private board). Although this states for certain that you can't perform Step 2 (private board) then Step 1 (Main board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... You've answered your questions yourself already, but yes - if you want to perform step 1, you have to do it before step 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.