Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
walloftruth
United States
Adrian
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own TVI with the new rules set, but I have some questions before playing my first game.

Valk and Action: some of these cards specify when you recruit where the card drawn comes from such as the Barracks or Wreckage. A lot of valk cards though don't specify more than "recruit one cogdrive". Is it safe to assume any time a player Recruits with an ability that the card always comes from the barracks unless otherwise stated? That seems to be the intention but I cant fnd anywhere that explicitly states that.

Scoring: if every card in the deck is worth 1 to 2 VP by endgame and the cards won from conflicts and territory are also worth the same 1 to 2 value with the addition of +4 to the leader in conflicts, is it not a more viable strategy to simply draft as many cards to your deck as possible without putting much effort to winning conflicts? Seems like gameplay could quickly focus more on this, with mass recruiting/drafting quickly overshadowing the actual war phase.
I do understand that you MUST play a cards from your hand if you can during the 2 action-step phase of war, which may prevent this strategy. But a lot of cards even when used during wars still go right back into your own pile. For those who've played, have you noticed this? Are there other game mechanics that prevent this or is deck increasing intended to be one of the main gameplay elements?

Emblems: the rules state that of the several actions a player can take during war phase, he must always take two of them if he is able, otherwise the end of that war is triggered with one more draw and action for each player. My question is, doesn't this mean a player will ALWAYS be forced to use their emblem ability every war phase because it will always be one of those possible actions? Which a player MUST take if able? Granted I don't know why you would choose not to use it...

Finally, and closely related, doesn't this play till you can't mechanism guarantee that each player will be forced to play every card in his hand , including discarding any Valks to draw more cards and playing any additional cards drawn? Does this exhaust your hand each round mechanism negatively influence the game at all? Does it seem like the natural way things would play anyway? I'm sure some of this will make more sense when I play...

Oh yeah, one more clarification, any of the four Incident type cards can be played to the conflicts, it appears, but the rules seem to imply, esp in the event of a tie, that action and assault cards work differently than Valk and Cogs do? Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slow Motion Walter
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
Iliad_Keys wrote:
I own TVI with the new rules set, but I have some questions before playing my first game.

Valk and Action: some of these cards specify when you recruit where the card drawn comes from such as the Barracks or Wreckage. A lot of valk cards though don't specify more than "recruit one cogdrive". Is it safe to assume any time a player Recruits with an ability that the card always comes from the barracks unless otherwise stated? That seems to be the intention but I cant fnd anywhere that explicitly states that.

Yes, draft/recruit from the barracks unless otherwise stated.

Iliad_Keys wrote:
Scoring: if every card in the deck is worth 1 to 2 VP by endgame and the cards won from conflicts and territory are also worth the same 1 to 2 value with the addition of +4 to the leader in conflicts, is it not a more viable strategy to simply draft as many cards to your deck as possible without putting much effort to winning conflicts? Seems like gameplay could quickly focus more on this, with mass recruiting/drafting quickly overshadowing the actual war phase.
I do understand that you MUST play a cards from your hand if you can during the 2 action-step phase of war, which may prevent this strategy. But a lot of cards even when used during wars still go right back into your own pile. For those who've played, have you noticed this? Are there other game mechanics that prevent this or is deck increasing intended to be one of the main gameplay elements?

I initially saw the same thing you did: draft draft draft and worry about the War phase secondarily. But then my big pile of 1-point deck cards kept losing to my opponents' fair-sized stack of 2 pt victory cards. I think what happened was, 1) by the time my deck had enough draft-enabling cards to really take off, the game was over, and 2) a good clan-focused War deck can pick up a lot of points quickly. My impression right now is that balance and clan-targeting is usually the strongest strategy. (I'm a long way from exhausting this game though...)

Iliad_Keys wrote:
Emblems: the rules state that of the several actions a player can take during war phase, he must always take two of them if he is able, otherwise the end of that war is triggered with one more draw and action for each player. My question is, doesn't this mean a player will ALWAYS be forced to use their emblem ability every war phase because it will always be one of those possible actions? Which a player MUST take if able? Granted I don't know why you would choose not to use it...

Dunno. I've never not wanted to use mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walloftruth
United States
Adrian
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Zed!

One other question I have when looking over the rulebook, this was rather ambiguous, but after each of the first two War Phases, before you enter the next Draft Phase, are you supposed to reshuffle your Deck or put the cards from your Pile back into your play deck? Or do they stay separate even in Draft phases unless you use special abilities like the Blue faction has?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slow Motion Walter
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
They stay separate. That's what makes the Draw Step of the Draft Phase relevant: "During the Draw Step, the player has two choices: He may either draw five cards OR he may shuffle his Pile into his deck and draw four cards."

In Valkyrie, shuffling is not free...you have to pay for it either with a smaller hand or by drafting and playing a card that gives you a shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there

Zed answered all questions but this one:
Iliad_Keys wrote:

Emblems: the rules state that of the several actions a player can take during war phase, he must always take two of them if he is able, otherwise the end of that war is triggered with one more draw and action for each player. My question is, doesn't this mean a player will ALWAYS be forced to use their emblem ability every war phase because it will always be one of those possible actions? Which a player MUST take if able? Granted I don't know why you would choose not to use it.

Well, remember that you play until ONE player passes...so you might not have to use your emblem. Ideally in my turn I want to play a cogdrive for its super-power, and a big fatass valkyrie (i.e, matching my emblem). However, this is not always possible, so using an emblem gives me one round of "pause".

Many times you do not want to use the emblem. The double axe's emblem ("take back a unit from the board to your hand") is nice to allow you rearrange troops, but is only good if you want to stall the battle. Likewise, the rising sun emblem (add 1 extra fighting area) stalls the battle. The blue one (all players discard 1 card) brings the passing element closer.

Thus, if I am winning several battles I probably want to speed up things, and thus, double axe or rising sun emblems are not so interesting. The same happens with blue symbol in the reverse situation.

Iliad_Keys wrote:

Finally, and closely related, doesn't this play till you can't mechanism guarantee that each player will be forced to play every card in his hand [...]

As before, you play until ONE player passes...This motivates you to play strong cards first, but watch out for your opponent "destroy/wreck/move a card in table"'s cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.