Acquire» Forums » General

Subject: how is it with 3 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cooper anderson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm looking for that one last reason to buy this game. How does it play with 3 people? As a frame of reference, I play Powergrid and T2R Europe with only 3 people, and I enjoy those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it lacking with only two (which is like playing three player with an idiot) however with three fully capable players (i.e. human beings) it is pretty good. I still prefer it with 4-6 however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it with 3. One player is usually out of it at the midgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's quite good with three. Best with four, but three plays better than five or six IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter burton
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I have been playing Acquire for years with three people. The game is the most strategic and the most gratifying with three people. Acquire is a boundless game!:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Dvorkin
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The replies are a bit mixed so far, so I'll chip in. I play Acquire with three people on occasion and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Acquire is one of the few games where I can honestly say that nothing is lost when you go from four to three players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played that many games of Acquire, but we like it in general. I haven't noticed it being poor with three players compared to four.

I may be depricating the value of my response by adding... we've mostly played it with just two. There's some fairly obvious competitive and strategical elements lost when playing with just two but it's still a good game. (With or without the random market owner.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire is playable with 3. There is a lot of tension in the early game. There are times when the third player can be blown out of the water in the mid-game, but this can certainly happen in games with 4+ players.

That being said Acquire is still a fabulous game for 3+. I find it lacking for 2-player (the banker mechanic works, but it occasionally creates blow outs), but I do, on occasion play it as a 2-player game just to get a fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Swenson
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
meowsqueak wrote:
I found it lacking with only two (which is like playing three player with an idiot)

2player without the random 2player rules is quick and brutal, ie fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played 2 player without the variant anbd thought it was great.(The new 2008 edition doesn't mention the 2 player variant i just didn't notice the box only said 3-5).

Haven't played yet but i can 3 player being a great games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.