GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,178 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Top games that are not usually recommended... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riccardo Menozzi
Italy
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, while I was looking for a new 2 player game, I stumbled upon Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small : just what I was looking for!
But in many "suggest me a 2 player game" thread I never saw someone recommending it, despite it being in the top 150. Why is that?
And there are also a large number of games that have really good ratings but I've never saw being suggested in any topic..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to see it recommended for 2 players quite often. I think part of its problem is people recommend Agricola instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you stumble on it?

That's the great thing about this site. It's well designed that people can easily "stumble upon" exactly what they're looking for.

Are you looking for something else, or just rambling here a bit? If so, I recommend putting this into the General forum. It will make it easier for people to find it and reference it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation is another great 2-player game that gets overlooked
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation is another great 2-player game that gets overlooked

It's also extremely out-of-print. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the reason you haven't seen Agricola: ACBaS is because it is still fairly new compared to regular Agricola.

I also like to recommend 1960: The Making of the President. It often gets overlooked in favor for its more popular cousin Twilight Struggle.

Also, try Day & Night, Cold War: CIA vs. KGB, Triumvirate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

It's also extremely out-of-print. cry

FFG is reprinting it:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4130
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
Manoeuvre is an excellent game which are strangely over-looked.

Kingdoms is a great fille but can also be played on its own merits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Menozzi
Italy
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
How did you stumble on it?

That's the great thing about this site. It's well designed that people can easily "stumble upon" exactly what they're looking for.

Are you looking for something else, or just rambling here a bit? If so, I recommend putting this into the General forum. It will make it easier for people to find it and reference it later.

I agree, this site is really optimized towards finding new games that one may like.

Also, that's a nice suggestion, if only I knew how to do it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I think quite the opposite. That game is ALWAYS recommended and it always annoyed me since it's been out of print for quite some time. Needless to say, I am quite pleased with the reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrass wrote:
Hi everyone, while I was looking for a new 2 player game, I stumbled upon Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small : just what I was looking for!

If you haven't already got it, do check out the expansion: Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small – More Buildings Big and Small ...it really makes the game.

...and if you like that, try Le Havre: The Inland Port ...a bit dryer & mathier, but still good, and they look good on the shelf together (hopefully Uwe might consider similar minis of his other games, if they're anything lke these two)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosaix IMHO is a brilliant filler game, and has a solo option which always helps, plus what is not to live about wipe-clean boards

I don't think that Alchemist gets enough love either, especially the 2 player game, trying to create points engines for your opponent that get rid of your ingredient while not giving them too many points is great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small had some early negative hype that it was an unnecessary simplification of Agricola and didn't bring anything new to the table. That stigma has somewhat died down, but it still doesn't get as much love as stand alone 2 player games.

I think there's a general taboo surrounding apparent derivative rehashes of established games (which are sometimes actually quite good).

See also:

Dominant Species: The Card Game
Scripts and Scribes: The Dice Game
San Juan
Shadows over Camelot: The Card Game
Ticket to Ride: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
To answer the thread topic, pretty nearly anything published before 2000 which has not seen a new edition since is a great candidate for "top game that is not usually recommended"

Vrass wrote:
I never saw someone recommending it, despite it being in the top 150. Why is that?

Probably because you don't read many threads here

Quote:
And there are also a large number of games that have really good ratings but I've never saw being suggested in any topic..

Probably because the rating system is an abomination against mankind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Huberty (General Trashy Meeples the Ambigamer)
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like some of Kramer's relatively less well known titles don't get the love they deserve. I'm thinking Goldland, Asara, Merchants of the Middle Ages, etc... Also Knizia's Lord of the Rings gets recommended, but not as frequently as Pandemic, Defenders of the Realm, Ghost Stories, Flash Point, etc... and I think the earlier work is the finest of those cooperatives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.