GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,858 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Thunderbolt Apache Leader» Forums » General

Subject: reminder method for aircraft? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
I enjoy playing this game as it's full of nail biting tension and involve lots of interesting planning/decision making. But one problem I'm always facing though is there are times when I make long decisions I tend to forget which aircraft/pilot (especially when more than two) have taken his shots/moved and which hasn't. Does anyone share the same experience?
Now I wish some kinda reminder marker would be included in Huey Leader!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
I had this problem, too, so I turn the aircraft card sideways when it acts. My short term memory isn't what it used to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There are plenty of wargames where this can be an issue. There are enough markers in this game that I would hate to add any. Here are some other approaches I use...

First, go left to right when possible. Usually this is all you need to do.

If you do need to optimize your chances by sequencing your pilots, rotate the cards 15-30 degrees when they have fired. At the end of the turn straighten them all up. This is quick, unmistakable, shouldn't disrupt any of the other cards and counters. If you need to look at the board and see who has/has not moved or fired you can straighten/rotate the counters as well.

You could use spare dice, glass beads, or make up some markers, but I think that's more work and more visual clutter.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same problem as you do in Hornet Leader:CAO especially when the number of aircraft on the mission is greater than 5. I think I've caught myself the few times I almost messed up, but maybe there were times I didn't catch.

For TAL, I have the similar problem of not remembering if I've moved a particular aircraft.

Maybe there should be two types of markers, one to mark whether you've moved and one to mark whether you've attacked. Or do we need 3 types for those aircraft with minimum movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely have this problem. I think turning the cards is the best solution. The turn order changes, sometimes I move then shoot or shoot thenmove, it is an issue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Medeiros
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started playing this game, I rotated the counters on the board when the planes acted (a bit tricky given that they need to line up against the hex edge if not hovering, but you can make it work pretty easily). Lately I find I'm thinking carefully enough about who should go first, next, last, that it's unnecessary. As another poster mentioned, this is more of an issue in HL:CAO, where you'll typically have more planes on a mission. I find the vast majority of my TAL missions involve 2-3 pilots; only if it's a super-nasty battalion (read, Infantry force or Headquarters -- though the Air defense unit and tank force with -2 loiter turns also reward having more pilots), or if I've wiped out enough battalions to have the luxury of some breathing room, do I have 4 or more on a mission. Cheers, and happy hunting! What a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
I rotate the aircraft cart sideways, but then again I'm an Ex-MTG player; it's hard not to do it with any game without thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.