Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Diplomacy Card and Planet with a Flag Marker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Path Os81
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
1. If Diplomacy is played from player "A" against player "B", can Player "A" take Planetary system is owned by a player "B" that only has Player "B"'s flag present with no ships, no ground forces, PDS, or space doc?

2. Once diplomacy is played, can Player "A" activate any system own or controlled by Player "B"?

My friend was arguing that since there is no "ground force" there was no attack and no battle, thus diplomacy has not been violated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norton
United States
Seymour
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathos81 wrote:
1. If Diplomacy is played from player "A" against player "B", can Player "A" take Planetary system is owned by a player "B" that only has Player "B"'s flag present with no ships, no ground forces, PDS, or space doc?

2. Once diplomacy is played, can Player "A" activate any system own or controlled by Player "B"?

My friend was arguing that since there is no "ground force" there was no attack and no battle, thus diplomacy has not been violated.

You are referring to diplomacy I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Path Os81
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Correct Diplomacy 1
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathos81 wrote:

Yes, this is legal. The Diplomacy card only stops you from activating a player's system that contains enemy units; units are defined as plastic pieces, and the flag markers, while they denote control, are not considered units.

The rules even talk about this possibility, saying "Players may, of course, seek alternative ways to harm the other player, such as invading systems that do not contain units..."

Quote:

It depends on if Player "B" has units in the system. If so, Player A cannot activate the system. If not, they can. What matters is the plastic units; it doesn't matter who controls the planets.

Quote:

He is correct; the card specifically only prevents activating systems with units in them; if there are no units, there are no violations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This works fine - Diplomacy only offers protection if you have units, which always involves a piece of plastic.

Flags mean nothing (outside of trade stations) they are just reminders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Path Os81
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
And thus my victory has been nulified...soblue

Thank you for your replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.