Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on finishing games for the "In A Tin/Express Contest", but wanted to start brainstorming projects for the "Solitaire PNP Contest." This post is to get some feedback on my ideas, as I don't think I'll be able to work on all of them, and would probably want to save some for other contests. I'm trying to kick around my ideas before I start an official WIP for the contest. Any thoughts are appreciated, both for ideas and for a general interest in the games.

Thank you.
Andy

Game 1 - Mob/Criminal Deckbuilder

Last year I rethemed Rune Age with a space theme, but didn't finish it for the contest. It was too close to the original game, so I didn't feel a need to finish or enter it, as I didn't want to copy that much just to get something done. Still, I did do a few things differently, and the deckbuilding worked well for a solo game.

My first thought would be to retheme my retheme into a mobster/criminal underworld deckbuilder. The biggest advantage is I could use much of my work from the old game, which would save time. The biggest disadvantage, it would again be similar to Rune Age, but then again, most deck builders seem similar. Most likely this will be my fall back option, if my other ideas don't work.

Game 2 - "Kingsburg" like Movie Studio Game

I remember commenting on a post about a movie studio game that Kingsburg had some elements that could work with the person's ideas. I never saw if the other game was made, but the thought about it has stayed with me. It's something I would like to test.

What I like is how Kingsburg lets people do several small things, or pool things together for one big one. That seems appropriate for the theme. The big issue with this game would be creating an AI or other scoring metric for solo play.

Game 3 - "Eclipse" like Civ/RTS Game

I've been playing a lot of Eclipse lately, and really like some things about its design. I also had been thinking of a civ/RTS skeleton, and feel that parts would work well together. My thought is to use dice in place of the cubes/disks from Eclipse. The player rolls the dice to accomplish various goals, but the time it takes to accomplish each goal controls the AI. Here is an mock up:

Imagine each of the 18 numbers at the bottom (6-1) covered with a Black/Green/Red die. These dice are removed and rolled. As the dice are removed, they reveal a cost the player must pay in an upkeep phase. The used dice are placed on one of the letters (A-F), and each turn the used dice shift down one letter (a difficult task might take several turns to complete, and so the shifting tracks the higher costs and time together). The AI is controlled by rolling all of the dice in the "A" area. Using a lot of one color would mean its counter strategy would come up more in the AI.

My problem with this game is I'm working on it in a backwards direction from my normal designs. I usually start with a theme, and find mechanics that work with it. This game was inspired by the mechanics, and I'm not sure what direction I want to go with a theme. The classic ideas are stone age, medieval, and space. I'm partial to sci-fi games, but I feel like civ/RTS games work better with older cultures, mostly from the tech trees. I would like to something different then all three normal themes, but I don't know what.

Game 4 - Dice Cribbage

My son and I play regular Cribbage frequently, and I tried an experiment of trying to score cribbage points with dice. It worked out pretty well. Though that was with two players, my thought is a little more experimenting could make it a quick solitaire game. If I do one of the games above, I might also work on this for a small game entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A solitaire version of cribbage would seem really weird to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued by the AI in the Civ/RTS. I'd like to see that happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
I'm intrigued by the AI in the Civ/RTS. I'd like to see that happen!

Seconded! I like the idea of shifting the colours of dice around and having that mechanic controlling the AI. The historical theme does seem very appropriate, but I think that is just from playing so much Civ etc. At its core your game theme needs say 3 pairs of opposing focus, decision trees to progress along and a reason to compete with the AI as you develop. are you hoping to keep the multiple paths to victory?

You could alway go for:
grapecamel Pet breeding and selling - exotic vs common, showy vs easy to care for, sleepy vs aggressive.
purpletrain Vehicle/engine manufacture - speed vs efficiency, green vs range, cost vs weight
Chefs in a kitchen (where you work up the scale to control more areas of the kitchen but also need to work on new recipes) - ingredients vs techniques, unusual be well known flavours, presentation vs speed.

Look forward to seeing whatever you decide on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After quickly glancing at your game ideas, I guess my vote would be for either the movie studio game or the civ in space game.

I guess it just kind of depends on the scope of the game that you want to tackle. A civ game would be a difficult thing to tackle, let alone get right.

My game this year is already proving to be a bit of a beast. It is going to be a bit impossible to find every broken combo in the game, but I am having loads of fun playing it! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a semi plausible, futuristic sci fi theme, such as you're in charge of a NASA like organisation and you need to explore space, design and launch satellites, hire workers, develop infrastructure, conduct research etc. The AI enemy could be a mix of pressures on your budget, government and public intervention/meddling, and maybe a space race with a foreign power e.g. first to land in the moon or make x discovery. That way you'd be constantly trying to achieve several small goals before the AI does. Plenty of scope for tech tree development etc. I also like the fact that it's a non violent theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HuggableHamster wrote:
At its core your game theme needs say 3 pairs of opposing focus, decision trees to progress along and a reason to compete with the AI as you develop. are you hoping to keep the multiple paths to victory?

The core is all I have right now, so it has room to go in several directions. I tried to think of pairs with both an outward and inward focus, but similar in how another culture would see and react to the action.

So the military attacks other groups, and the defense protects the player's culture. But I felt if either were used, the response by the AI would be a similar, hunter-based aggressive action (attack, build armies, research weapons, etc.).

The business (outward)/technology (inward) would generate a more neutral, gather-based response (build defenses, hoard materials). The Religion (outward)/Art (inward) actions would tend to generate a positive response from the AI, but would run through materials faster, limiting the player's score.

The AI would react to the Religion/Art actions by revealing the world faster and by trading materials or research. However, I think the element could also provide a random element in response to the religious aspect. For example, it could create an opponent that always attacks, or prevents the player from using a technology.

Thank you for the theme ideas, the one I really like is the vehicle one. I'm not sure if the AI would control other companies, or how people buy the product, but I'll keep thinking. Thank you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
After quickly glancing at your game ideas, I guess my vote would be for either the movie studio game or the civ in space game.

I guess it just kind of depends on the scope of the game that you want to tackle. A civ game would be a difficult thing to tackle, let alone get right.

My game this year is already proving to be a bit of a beast. It is going to be a bit impossible to find every broken combo in the game, but I am having loads of fun playing it! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

That's my fear with a civ game too. I know there are a few months, but time goes fast, and I still have to finish some other games too.

I've always liked civ/RTS games, and it seems to be getting the most support right now, which are both good motivators. The downside is that it is in a very preliminary idea stage now. I might have to do a small test of both the movie game and the civ game before I start a WIP thread to see which is further along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mjrobertson wrote:
How about a semi plausible, futuristic sci fi theme, such as you're in charge of a NASA like organisation and you need to explore space, design and launch satellites, hire workers, develop infrastructure, conduct research etc. The AI enemy could be a mix of pressures on your budget, government and public intervention/meddling, and maybe a space race with a foreign power e.g. first to land in the moon or make x discovery. That way you'd be constantly trying to achieve several small goals before the AI does. Plenty of scope for tech tree development etc. I also like the fact that it's a non violent theme.

I like the space race idea. I think some of the civ aspects would transfer over too. I see the military side as a balance between top secret and public knowledge, the research could be a balance between experiments and missions, and the culture could be between PR and getting the funding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
Check out the 2017 Solo Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

I disagree. I'm actually intrigued by the idea of solitaire cribbage. I love playing cribbage and have a small collection of hand carved boards. Unfortunately, my wife and regular gaming partners aren't into it. I'd love to try a solitaire variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

I disagree. I'm actually intrigued by the idea of solitaire cribbage. I love playing cribbage and have a small collection of hand carved boards. Unfortunately, my wife and regular gaming partners aren't into it. I'd love to try a solitaire variant.

There's a good chance I'm biased. Playing cribbage with anyone accept my grandfather (who taught me the game) seems really weird to me.

I would sit in his lap and hold the cards for him while he played against my dad or my grandmother. He smelled like old cigarettes and coffee. Later, when I was old enough, I would play against him. He was missing two fingers on his right hand, and I remember being fascinated by how he would fan the cards out and hold them with his thumb and ring finger.

He was really good. He really liked pegging strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
He was missing two fingers on his right hand...

Those are some tough stakes you play for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fur94 wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
He was missing two fingers on his right hand...

Those are some tough stakes you play for

We take our games SERIOUSLY in this family!

Naw, he was in a car accident when he was 14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished one "in a tin" game, and should be done with my other just in time to submit it this week. I've started to think a bit more about this contest. What I think I'll start with is trying a movie studio civ game. My concern with the Kingsburg mechanics is the lack of other players to block spots like most worker placement games. I might dust off the idea later for multiple players.

I still like the theme, and I could see running a movie studio a little like running a emerging civilization. The crew, actors and producers would behave differently and have different needs. The three base genres of drama, comedy and action could be developed into more advanced films, and different facilities or technologies could be bought/researched to advance everything. I'm not ready to start a WIP yet, but have a hunch this will be my next effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.