Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Mayfair rules, under "Sequence of Play", Step 2 is described as "Build up to 2 buildings". This implies that all items built in step two are considered buildings.

Under "1) Roll the Dice and Collect Cards" the rules say "Any building that has an Influence icon produces 1 Influence Card for its owner."

Under "2) Build 1 or 2 Buildings", it says "There are three things you can build:
- Building ...
- City Wall Tile
- Church Tile
"

So my question is this: When collecting cards in Step 1, are the Influence icons on City Wall Tiles included? In other words, if a City Wall Tile depicting an Influence card is in the same row as the Trade Ship, does the active player collect an Influence Card?

If the City Wall Tile IS considered a building (as implied by the headings "Sequence of Play" and "2) Build 1 or 2 Buildings"), then the answer should be yes. This would justify the higher price for wall spaces across from the harbor.

If the City Wall Tile is NOT considered a building (as implied by using the term "building" for one specific type of the three buildable structures), then the answer should be no. This would mean that the only time you get an Influence card from a City Wall Tile (which has an Influence icon) is when you build the City Wall Tile.

I've played Elasund once, and we arbitrarily chose to not collect Influence Cards from City Wall Tiles except when building them, but before we play again, I'd like to clarify this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
SGHughes wrote:

If the City Wall Tile is NOT considered a building (as implied by using the term "building" for one specific type of the three buildable structures), then the answer should be no. This would mean that the only time you get an Influence card from a City Wall Tile (which has an Influence icon) is when you build the City Wall Tile.

This is correct. If the walls gave influence on die rolls there would be some indication of who owned each segment. They only give a one-time influence card (or two) at the time they are built.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When collecting cards in Step 1, are the Influence icons on City Wall Tiles included? In other words, if a City Wall Tile depicting an Influence card is in the same row as the Trade Ship, does the active player collect an Influence Card?

No ... that card you get when you build the wall, and not again. My rules are in German, so I can't point you to the right bit, but my logic is that there is no indication whose wall it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both.

Since the way we played happened to be right, it didn't occur to us that ownership was an issue. Had we tried to play it wrong, we would quickly have realized that the Influence icons on the City Wall Tiles had no owners. blush

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Carroll
United States
Garland,
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Along those same lines are "towers" affected by the pirates? (in which case you would want them all at a cost of two and leave the fours for influence)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimbus wrote:
Along those same lines are "towers" affected by the pirates? (in which case you would want them all at a cost of two and leave the fours for influence)

Yes, towers could be affected by pirate rolls. You are not able to "choose" what wall segment you build, you must build them in order (numbers on the back).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question I have with respect to card collection is this, If you built a building which generated either influence or gold cards do you collect a card (influence or gold) for each "square" that that building occupies or do you just get one card per building which is in line the ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
casterman wrote:
Another question I have with respect to card collection is this, If you built a building which generated either influence or gold cards do you collect a card (influence or gold) for each "square" that that building occupies or do you just get one card per building which is in line the ship?

One per building in the row. The advantges of the larger (wider) buildings is that they are harder to build over and so may produce longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One card per building that the ship's line "strikes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of the wall tiles, we played our first 4-player game last night (having previously only played 2-player games). Following the board setup in the rules, when the corner tiles are placed on the outside wall according to the number of players it seemed odd to us that--in a 4-player game--the '4 gold' wall segments were still opposite of the harbor.

The rules are very clear about where to place the corners, so it's not up for debate, but doesn't it seem like the corner tiles should be flipped in a 4-player game so that the '4 gold' segements are at the north and south instead? In a 2-player game, the placement and orientation of the wall corners means that there are less '2 gold' segments available, whereas the proper setup for a 4-player game means there are more '2 gold' then '4 gold' segments. So, not as much of a rush to capitalize upon the walls as there is in the 2-player game.

Just an observation, really...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it this way: With more players you extend the number of cheap tile placements, so that there is roughly the same amount of cheap placements per player. Then regardless of the number of players there will be a shortage of expensive placements (which are likely the higher and more valuable tower tiles) coming out later in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
Think of it this way: With more players you extend the number of cheap tile placements, so that there is roughly the same amount of cheap placements per player. Then regardless of the number of players there will be a shortage of expensive placements (which are likely the higher and more valuable tower tiles) coming out later in the game.

But, this isn't the case. In the 2 player game, there are more expensive areas for wall placement than inexpensive. In the 4 player game, it is exactly the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon closer examination, you are correct. In games with more players, there are more cheap wall builds, but less build spaces overall.

Some analysis:

There are always 8 4 gold spaces. Depending on the number of players there are 4, 8, or 12 2 gold spaces.

With 2 players there are 2 cheap wall builds (4/2) per player and 6 total wall builds (12/2) per player.

With 3 players there are 2 2/3 cheap wall builds (8/3) per player and 5 1/3 total wall builds (16/3) per player.

With 4 players there are 3 cheap wall builds (12/4) per player and 5 total wall builds (20/4) per player.

So with fewer players you should have an easier time getting more wall tiles on the board, but they will cost a bit more.

With more players, the walls you build will be slightly cheaper, but you have more competition from the other players to get those wall tiles on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.