Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Anino
United States
Placerville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this but had a few questions:
"Monster can choose to Ignore non-damaging tile effects" The question here is: The Collapsed Room is damaging if you fall, so you shouldn't be able to ignore it, but you only fall if you fail the roll, so you should ignore it. It's not mentioned as one of the tiles to ignore in the insturction book, so we played that Frankenstein had to roll to make it across the room, he failed and got stuck in the basement, where we started to attack him with the furnace room.
Which brings us to the second question: Can you pick up a torch and still move on your turn? We said yes because it doesn't say anything to the contrary, but this meant that we could get a couple attacks on Frank because we would start in a room near Frankenstein run next to him, throw the torch we were carrying, run into the next room, continue to the furnace room and then either run into the next room to finish our turn or, in the case of one player with high movement, go back and attack Frankenstein again and move a room away to be a little safer. Because of this strategy we were able to run to safety in most cases, but it seemed unfair, even to those of us who were doing that.
When the Haunt begins, does the revealer of the Haunt have to give the book to the Traitor? It didn't say anything in the books about this, so we played it as Revealer kept the book.
Can Monsters, any monsters, not just Frankenstein, increase their stats by going into rooms with positive effects like The Library or The Gym? Again, they can choose to ignore non-damaging rooms, but why would you want to ignore improving your stats? Especially if you can get Frankenstein to The Gym and increase his speed?
And finally: Is the Speed throw against Frankenstein's Speed everytime? This is how we played it, oh and does the number of dice used for Frank's attacks go down everytime a torch hits him? This was unclear as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Anthony Arcilla
Philippines
Los BaƱos
Laguna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Speed roll to avoid falling through the Collapsed Room is only required if noone's ever fallen through it yet. When someone has already fallen through (i.e. the "Below Collapsed Room" token has been placed on one of the basement tiles), other explorers/monsters can choose to ignore it and pass through as if it was a normal room tile, OR choose to fall through it.

Ownership of the Book Omen card doesn't need to change hands since it doesn't matter who holds it in this scenario anyway (aside from breaking the flavor text narrative).

As for the torch use: the Haunt rules say you only have to "go" to the rooms, so you may have played it correctly. Except for that part with the high Speed characters...it specifically states in the revised Secrets of Survival that each hero can only throw one Torch per turn

Yes, Torches are treated as a Speed attacks everytime (the only Speed attack that can hurt the Monster anyway). But Frankie doesn't weaken as you burn him with torches though. Most monsters don't weaken with damage. And monsters don't benefit at all from stat-boosting rooms.

My group managed to play this Haunt once, I think with 4 players. And none of the heroes were Speed freaks so we had a hell of a time trying to throw torches at it. Then two of the heroes fell to Frankie's brutal attacks, leaving only me...I forgot who I was playing but I was trying to push it off the Tower until my Might dropped way below the amount needed to score a 6+, and we lost. We had a rough time at it. Of course, we were playing it with the rule that you had to end your turn in the torch rooms to get a torch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.