Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Petersen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking to buy a game for my friend and his family. His son is 9 and when I asked him what his favorite thing to do in Mine Craft was, he replied, "blowing stuff up with TNT". He continued to tell me how to make the TNT and the different ways he uses it. I wonder if he would be into a resource management game?

Anyway...

This is a non-gamer family and the 9 year old is obsessed with most things iOS. My first thought was the old stand-by Ticket to Ride. But then I thought King of Tokyo. My friend's son is not living with him full time so it'd be nice to find a game for the adults to enjoy without the little guy as well.

Games I know won't work with his familY:
Forbidden Island/Fire Rescue (my friend is too bossy)
Survive (too centered on conflict)
Small World (too centered on conflict)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so sure a board game is going to be what the kid wants here. Especially not something like TTR. In a non-gamer family, who will he play with?

Don't get him a boardgame just so it gathers dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Adventures Is a game where its every man for themselves pushing their luck and grabbing as much treasure as they can to see who can escape with the most loot before being killed within the Temple "Indiana Jones kinda thing" Or they also have another version where it's a return of the mummy type theme called Pyramid of Horus I really like it and so do my kids who are in the same age range,Easy to play and Looks Nice.

Another one I just picked up was River Dragons we just had our first family game last night with it and it worked out really well,another family favorite here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xtn574 wrote:
Game for 9 yr old who is obsessed with MineCraft?

Minecraft
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
In a non-gamer family, who will he play with?

This. If your friend lives near you it might be worth inviting them over and trying a game or two out with them. If they both take to it you know you're onto something. Otherwise you risk the game collecting dust like Paul said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I'm not so sure a board game is going to be what the kid wants here. Especially not something like TTR. In a non-gamer family, who will he play with?

Don't get him a boardgame just so it gathers dust.

He has a point here,Its hard to take a Non gaming family and especially a kid hooked on video games and have them play board games. What ever you do I would get something with a lot of Eye Candy and easy to understand rules. Survive might not be a bad idea,,it might be that touch of meanness that hooks them as they eat each other with sharks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lego. One of the cool sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
This space intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
peapicker wrote:

One of the new sets that includes TNT.

It'll be the last toy he ever plays with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Does the family have a iPad or Tablet? Perhaps you could gift him an iOS implementation of a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peapicker wrote:

I've seen some small Minecraft-themed Lego sets, I think at Barnes and Noble. That seems like it might be just the thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the young man would enjoy this video tutorial maybe better than a board game. How to build a fire and what can go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
*This is a gift for his friend not for his friends son*

The Downfall of Pompeii soon to be re-released.

I've never experienced a game of these where everyone didn't have a positive experience. The lad will enjoy directing the lava and everyone will have fun - simple rules and takes about 30-40 mins to play. When he's not around it's a fun wee game for adults to play 1v1.

This said you can't go wrong with a TTR game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Escape: The Curse of the Temple may serve your needs.

1. it's cooperative but mechanics does not allow a bossy alpha player to dictate play. It's real time and everyone is busy with their own dice! Yet the players need to explore together to escape alive.

2. strong theme and great components - should appeal to both kids and adults.

3. 1-5 players, and each game is just 10 minutes real time. The adults can enjoy the game too when their kid is not with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy him Quarriors and let him stack the dice into different shapes. He'll feel right at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.